Oahu Accommodation - Post Cruise - May 2016.

Busy Mum

Hi all,

I'm hoping for some up to date info on Accommodation in regards to accommodation in Waikiki.

My husband and I would like to spend 4 days in Oahu after cruising and touring Canada and the Rockies on our way home to Australia.

We have spent 5 days in Oahu 2 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed our time there. We stayed at Halekulani. Whilst it was a nice stay it is now incredibly expensive. I am looking for a nice 4-5 star accommodation and would really welcome any advice you can offer. We would prefer somewhere a little quiet, if that's possible :D

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Vicki. :)

Hi all,

I'm hoping for some up to date info on Accommodation in regards to accommodation in Waikiki.

My husband and I would like to spend 4 days in Oahu after cruising and touring Canada and the Rockies on our way home to Australia.

We have spent 5 days in Oahu 2 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed our time there. We stayed at Halekulani. Whilst it was a nice stay it is now incredibly expensive. I am looking for a nice 4-5 star accommodation and would really welcome any advice you can offer. We would prefer somewhere a little quiet, if that's possible :D

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Vicki. :)

Not Waikiki, but 4 1/2* and uber quiet is the Kahala Resort, which is just the other side of Diamond Head from Waikiki, but they run shuttles into Waikiki.

If Halekulani is too expensive, look at the tower at the Royal Hawaiian, Surfrider Tower at the Moana Hotel, Ali'i Tower at Hilton Hawaiian Village and maybe the Outrigger Reef.

Hyatt Regency is very nice too. Maybe look at the New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel; no pool, but an incredible location and stunning views.

Thank you very much Keith, I will looks into both of these hotels :-)

Is there a 'better/nicer' tower in the Hilton, in your opinion?

Have had a brief look into the Royal Hawaiian, I thought it looked a little tired but I could be completely wrong!

Thank you again.

Vicki.

Thank you very much Keith, I will looks into both of these hotels :-)

Is there a 'better/nicer' tower in the Hilton, in your opinion?

Have had a brief look into the Royal Hawaiian, I thought it looked a little tired but I could be completely wrong!

Thank you again.

Vicki.

I think we were in the Rainbow Tower. They upgraded us to a corner suite. Not sure if it was called a Jr Suite? Two quite large balconies, one looking out over the lagoon and the other looking right out over the ocean. The most spectacular view we have had. If you decide to stay here, it might be worthwhile to join their Hilton Honors program. Lately, when we book with them we get options to choose from possible upgrades to be bestowed upon check in based on availability. Some of them are as low as $8 per night to a corner suite.

Thank you pspercy - that's a great resource. Thanks to everyone else as well :-)

I am tending to lean towards Hyatt Regency, at the moment. Need to organise our flights first, which will be very soon and then book our accommodation.

So much fun organising the trip, it's such a great 'lead up' to our cruises.

Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas.

Vicki.

Hilton Hawaiian Village has many activities and attractions, but can be touristy and feel a little crowded. If you do look at HHV, check out the Rainbow Tower to be closest to the beach and the larger two room (with huge balcony) accommodations in the Diamond Head Tower. The spa there is also incredible!

The Coconut Waikiki Hotel is not right on the beach and not in as touristy of an area, but it is very quiet and relaxing and the accommodations are financially reasonable. The staff is also incredible.

My favorite is the Outrigger Reef. It is right on the beach, the staff is terrific, the rooms are nice, and dinner at the Ocean House is a must!

Hi Cruiseonthebrain,

I have also, along with Hyatt Regency, considered Outrigger Reef. I have heard from my husbands work colleague that the Outrigger Reef is excellent.

As there are a few Outrigger's in Waikiki - can you just confirm for me that you do mean, Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort?

Thanks for your reply and I hope you have a wonderful Christmas.

Vicki :-)

Hi Cruiseonthebrain,

I have also, along with Hyatt Regency, considered Outrigger Reef. I have heard from my husbands work colleague that the Outrigger Reef is excellent.

As there are a few Outrigger's in Waikiki - can you just confirm for me that you do mean, Outrigger Reef Waikiki Beach Resort?

I actually love the Outrigger Reef on the Beach. I will look up the exact address tomorrow. I haven't cruised Hawaii but I used to travel there about 2-3 months out the year for work. I once logged 64 night in a year at the Hilton Hawaiian Village:-)

I will post the address but if you have any other off hand Honolulu questions you can also get me at stace120@hotmail.com. Happy holidays!!!!

One more question, Vicki- do you absolutely want to stay in Waikiki? Turtle Bay on the other side of Oahu has a very different relaxed feel. Or maybe even a different island. I would work for a few weeks in Waikiki and then my husband would fly into Honolulu for one night and then we would catch a puddle jumper over to another island for 2-3 nights. My favorite side trip was a few nights at the Hilton on the big island. DH loved a few nights on Kuaui.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Cruiseonthebrain,

There are two Outriggers in Waikiki. The Outrigger Waikiki (between the Royal Hawaiian and Moana hotels) and the Outrigger Reef (between Halekulani and Waikiki Shore).

The Reef is my favorite of the two for the quieter location.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you to everyone that has answered my accommodation query. I'm still uncertain as to which hotel to book. I have emailed both the Hyatt Regency and also the Outrigger Reef, so now just to wait and see what they have to say!! Decisions, decisions......just wish I could make up my mind!! At the end of the day, I'm sure both will be lovely. Thanks again everyone for your thoughts. Let the planning and booking continue :-) Vicki.

I think we were in the Rainbow Tower. They upgraded us to a corner suite. Not sure if it was called a Jr Suite? Two quite large balconies, one looking out over the lagoon and the other looking right out over the ocean. The most spectacular view we have had. If you decide to stay here, it might be worthwhile to join their Hilton Honors program. Lately, when we book with them we get options to choose from possible upgrades to be bestowed upon check in based on availability. Some of them are as low as $8 per night to a corner suite.

Those "upgrades" are Hilton's NOR-1 program. It is merely an automated program that sends out upsell possibilities to future guests. The non-Hilton Honors people and the base level HHonors guests get upsell opportunities for a fee, the HHonors Gold and Diamond guests see some upgrade and some upsell opportunities. For the Gold and Diamond, it is a choice of "take this and guarantee a specific upgrade" or wait until check-in and see if something better/worse is waiting for you. I used to be the one who managed my old hotel's NOR-1 allocations. The difference between an upgrade and an upsell: an upgrade doesn't cost anything, an upsell costs to get something "better."

If the OP liked Halekulani, I wouldn't point them to Hilton Hawaiian Village unless they were willing to book the Ali'i Tower. The place definitely is not quiet - it is like it's own bustling city. I stayed there because I got a good rate as a "thank you" from the GM for being nice to husband and her dog at our hotel while waiting for the dog to be cleared to relocate to Oahu. Too many people, too much noise (in the midst of massive renovations). I'd get hit up for timeshare presentations every day by the Hilton Vacations people around the property.

Royal Hawaiian was recently renovated. Not sure of dates' date=' but know we have walked thru there since rents done. It is still "the grande dame" of Waikiki.[/quote']

Actually the Moana Surfrider is considered the Grande Dame of Waikiki hotels having opened in 1901. The tower at the Royal Hawaiian was recently renovated. The original part of the hotel was done maybe 8 years ago.

Those "upgrades" are Hilton's NOR-1 program. It is merely an automated program that sends out upsell possibilities to future guests. The non-Hilton Honors people and the base level HHonors guests get upsell opportunities for a fee, the HHonors Gold and Diamond guests see some upgrade and some upsell opportunities. For the Gold and Diamond, it is a choice of "take this and guarantee a specific upgrade" or wait until check-in and see if something better/worse is waiting for you. I used to be the one who managed my old hotel's NOR-1 allocations. The difference between an upgrade and an upsell: an upgrade doesn't cost anything, an upsell costs to get something "better."

If the OP liked Halekulani, I wouldn't point them to Hilton Hawaiian Village unless they were willing to book the Ali'i Tower. The place definitely is not quiet - it is like it's own bustling city. I stayed there because I got a good rate as a "thank you" from the GM for being nice to husband and her dog at our hotel while waiting for the dog to be cleared to relocate to Oahu. Too many people, too much noise (in the midst of massive renovations). I'd get hit up for timeshare presentations every day by the Hilton Vacations people around the property.

Then what we had at HHV was an "upgrade" because we are Diamond members rather than an "upsell". We made no request through their NOR program at the time, and did not pay anything extra. I dont even know if it existed at the time.

The OP asked about the HHV towers, thus my response. Looks like she is looking elsewhere so a moot point now. Yes, HHV is bustling. We were a little put off when we first arrived, but were in love with the place when we left.

SliderGirl, I am booked in the HHV. We are long time HHonors members, but not elite. My flight arrives at 6:30 AM. I indicated on-line that I would pay the $35 or what ever it was to have the extra early check in to our room. It would make our day more enjoyable. Any insider hints to do to try and actually get that upsell, or is it totally up to availability now?

Thanks!