Samba Grill Experiences?

DH wants to try the Samba Grill on our upcoming Allure cruise. (We've never been to to a Brazilian steak house). The restaurant seems to have gotten VERY mixed reviews on this board. I don't want to waste our money.

Can folks who have eaten there recently share your experiences?

Thanks!

Food is excellent and very plentiful. Service was very good. Atmosphere is lacking. Samba takes over the space that during the day is used for a buffet. If you love steak Samba is for you, if you want a romantic elegant fine dining experience one of the other restaurants would be a better choice

DH wants to try the Samba Grill on our upcoming Allure cruise. (We've never been to to a Brazilian steak house). The restaurant seems to have gotten VERY mixed reviews on this board. I don't want to waste our money.

Thanks!

Most of the less favorable reviews seem to come from people who have been to shore-Brazilian Steak houses. Like you, I had never been at one before, but we enjoyed our times there very much.

The other thing that gives bad reviews is the meat being too done, or not done enough. I didn't have that problem, but if something looked too rare, I waited till the next time it came by.

My only tip for this place is that the sun can be blinding at sunset for about 1/2 the people seated in that area. On Allure's I would avoid 15-60 minutes before sunset when the ship is sailing Westward. (unless you bring your shades)

Edited by BillOh

My wife and I ate at Samba Grill this past October. It was a spur of the moment decision, however there was plenty of availability. It is a nice venue with what we thought was nice ambiance. We were there on Thursday night of our 7 day cruise, and there were only a couple of tables occupied.

The food was good, however this was our first time eating at a Brazilian steakhouse, so I can't honestly compare it to any other experiences. The salad bar had a great variety, and the meats were plentiful and delicious. My wife only got through 4 different selections, and I had to stop at #7. We both mysteriously found room for some nice desserts. I don't have any photos of the food but I'm sure someone could provide some.

All in all I'm glad we did it. It was just the two of us, so it wasn't too pricey. I probably wouldn't do it again as a matter of personal choice since my wife is such a picky eater.

Have fun!

Edited by Jocko97

Went on the Allure twice, once in 2013 and 2012. Both times really enjoyed the experience.

Located on the back of the boat, you get a good view of the ocean and depending upon the time, of day. Unfortunately between you and the ocean, is the Solarium (Adult only swimming area).

They do provide better separation between the tables then they do in the other restaurants, so you don't get a group right next to you if you want quiet time.

First part is buffet style. Food was well maintained. (Not looking like 20 people got there before you did.) Tapenade was great.. As well as the choice of cold cuts. The Mussels were so-so. Bread was 'different', then what we had else where so I thought it was pretty good.

Second Part is the Meat part which was a lot. As with any Brazilian steak house they had a large selection (pork/beef/chicken). I tried to have each one, and could not finish. I think it was around 11 different meats. We purchased the dinner package so I actually went twice. The second time I was a bit smarter and turned down the meat that I was less interested in.

Third Part is Dessert, which was ok. Selection was limited, and I'm not a dessert person, so I can't say if it was better then other choices on the ship..

Since this is on the Allure but not the Oasis, I think you should go, since it is a somewhat unique experience to the Allure within Royal Caribbean.

Edited by Doggyranger
Added dessert comment

I have been to several Brazilian Steak Houses in Philadelphia, and even tho it is not quite the same, I enjoyed it. My DW and DS's did not really like it as much. You have to prepare yourself for a meal like that or you will be done soon after you start.

Went on the Allure twice, once in 2013 and 2012. Both times really enjoyed the experience.

Located on the back of the boat, you get a good view of the ocean and depending upon the time, of day. Unfortunately between you and the ocean, is the Solarium (Adult only swimming area).

Actually, it's located forward. The solarium looks out over the bow.

I went twice on a 7 night cruise. It was great both times. Is it as good as hardwood charcoal based steakhouses? Of course not. But it was quite good.

Everything was very well prepared to me, and had a good flavor.

We went after sunset both times, and it is very nice. It is not as "romantic" as chops, but I am all about the food, not the romance!

Thanks to everyone for your quick replies - I think we'll try it!

Good choice. Try it and see if you like it.

We went last year and are glad we did. Was it the best place ever, no but we enjoyed and definitely rolled out there with all the food.

One note, don't overdo on the salad bar. It is very tempting, but save some room for all the meat and of course dessert!!

We did the Samba Grill and I found it to be good but you need to bring your appetite. I think that you definitely get a good value if you are a meat lover. The salad bar selection is very nice as well but if you regularly visit this type of restaurant at home you may be disappointed. We were disappointed in the ones at home after we went to one of the best ones in Rio de Janeiro. So it's all relative.

We are also thinking of trying this !!

We did the same type of restaurant on a NCL ship.

But we need to use OBC so won't book until we get on the ship.

We're in the same boat with OBC, Gopher. We have a ton, so I'm trying not to book anything else until we're on board. It doesn't sound like specialty restaurant reservations are all that hard to get, if you're flexible.

We're in the same boat with OBC, Gopher. We have a ton, so I'm trying not to book anything else until we're on board. It doesn't sound like specialty restaurant reservations are all that hard to get, if you're flexible.

We are open to joining in for a dinner at the Samba if you would like

But I also understand if you want to do it just the two of you.

I will check with you at sail away !! deck 11 port side

Actually, it's located forward. The solarium looks out over the bow.

Not sure what ship you were on, but the Solerium Cafe/Samba Grill is located at the aft overlooking the stern. Check out the deck plans for Oasis/Allure of the Seas.

Thanks!

This past January we went to the Samba Grill. We enjoyed the salad bar. They come around with the meat- all you can eat- When we were previously on the Oasis, they had a little show with dancing. They have discontinued it.

The food is good- but we like chops and Giovanni's table better. If you can go to more speciality restaurants it is fun to try!

Enjoy your cruise.

It's the front of the ship, which is why I mentioned the glare is bad about 30 minutes before sunset when sailing west. For the most part the solarium is dead after dark so you still get some ambiance without seeing people in the pool. (at least for people in the spring, fall and winter.

Edited by BillOh

Not sure what ship you were on, but the Solerium Cafe/Samba Grill is located at the aft overlooking the stern. Check out the deck plans for Oasis/Allure of the Seas.

I think you have forward and aft mixed up. Solarium is forward on Oasis/Allure.

I think you better check out the deck plans.

samba.jpg

The Cantilevered hot tubs are not on the rear of the ship. This is the front.

I think you have forward and aft mixed up. Solarium is forward on Oasis/Allure.

Looking at their cruise history I can see where the deck plans make it look like that is the rear of the ship because of the way it looks rounded. I see that person has a trip scheduled for Oasis, but not yet actually on an Oasis class. Did they or are they planning on adding Samba to Oasis?

Looking at their cruise history I can see where the deck plans make it look like that is the rear of the ship because of the way it looks rounded. I see that person has a trip scheduled for Oasis, but not yet actually on an Oasis class. Did they or are they planning on adding Samba to Oasis?

Samba is not on Oasis now. I suppose it could be added during the upcoming dry dock, but I've seen any announcements to that effect.

With regard to the forward/aft thing, it's possible the poster does not realize that Royal's deck plan convention is to show the bow at the top of the page.

Edited by clarea

Samba is not on Oasis now. I suppose it could be added during the upcoming dry dock, but I've seen any announcements to that effect.

With regard to the forward/aft thing, it's possible the poster does not realize that Royal's deck plan convention is to show the bow at the top of the page.

Of course I have enjoyed many a time at the front of the ship on the Flowrider. I think its cool how that they called "The Wake" points to where the ship is going ;) Ok enough making fun of that poster. I guess we will soon see if the Samba is an addition to Oasis. I've heard rumors, for what that is worth with Samba and the Dog Haus. Having been on Allure twice, my next time on the class, which won't be before 16 will either be on Oasis or the 3rd one. Looking forward to hearing more about where that ends up.

Edited by BillOh