Driving route in Halifax?

Kerry&LuAnn

Driving to peggys cove and to lunenberg and back is 4 1/2 to 5 hours with no time to enjoy much not sure how much time you have in port. I would pick one if you want to go on a driving adventure and enjoy downtown the rest of the time. If you go to peggys cove DO NOT GO ON THE BLACK ROCKS RIGHT AT WATERS EDGE many people have been washed away and died. There is many things to see and do around port within walking distance. There is a boardwalk from cruise terminal all along waterfront full of sites and pubs and resturants. Halifax Public gardens is a nice spot for a relax and walk around but is a little bit farther.

Maritime museum of the atlantic

https://maritimemuseum.novascotia.ca

Citidel hill historic site

http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/ns/halifax/index.aspx

Kieth's bewery tour

Art Gallery of Nova Scotia

Pier 21 immegration museum

harbour hopper tour!https://store.mtcw.ca/p/52/harbour-hopper

The link didn't open. :(

Oh heck.

It was a google map link, starting in Halifax, going to Peggy's Cove, to the Swiss Air Memorial, and on to Lunenburg, then back on the non-shore route.

Beautiful landscapes in both directions.

Driving to peggys cove and to lunenberg and back is 4 1/2 to 5 hours with no time to enjoy much not sure how much time you have in port. I would pick one if you want to go on a driving adventure and enjoy downtown the rest of the time. If you go to peggys cove DO NOT GO ON THE BLACK ROCKS RIGHT AT WATERS EDGE many people have been washed away and died. There is many things to see and do around port within walking distance. There is a boardwalk from cruise terminal all along waterfront full of sites and pubs and resturants. Halifax Public gardens is a nice spot for a relax and walk around but is a little bit farther.

Maritime museum of the atlantic

https://maritimemuseum.novascotia.ca

Citidel hill historic site

http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/ns/halifax/index.aspx

Kieth's bewery tour

Art Gallery of Nova Scotia

Pier 21 immegration museum

harbour hopper tour!https://store.mtcw.ca/p/52/harbour-hopper

Sorry, girlpookie, I have to disagree with your time estimate.

A drive out to Peggy's Cove, then Lunenburg and finally back to Halifax is no more than a 3 1/2 hour drive total. Maybe your are thinking of the time it takes from Cole Harbour, not from the area of the Westin Hotel where the car rentals are.

I can't speak for the OP, but our upcoming cruise has us in port from 9:00 till 6:00, and we will be renting a car, aiming for a pickup at 9:30 and a drop off at 5:00. That give's us 7 1/2 total hours, or, after the driving time, 4 hours to explore Peggy's Cove and Lunenburg. Of course, I should say re-explore, because as former Haligonians, we've made this loop literally hundreds of time, usually including Chester and Mahone Bay alone the way.

BTW, we were back last fall and stayed for ten days at a rental apartment apartment on Tobin Street, the other side of Cornwallis Park from the Westin, so we are very aware of driving times from that part of Halifax.

OP, I suggest that you use Google maps to look for directions. I did and it gave me exactly the same route that I would have on my own.

BTW, there's a gas bar conveniently located just around the park from the Westin, making it very convenient to refill before turning in the car.

That's the route, and it could be under 4 hours if you sped through it, but you're going to want to spend an hour at Peggy's Cove and time at the memorial, and browsing Lunenburg (plus lunch) will take another couple hours. It's a great "on your own" day trip

On the way down to Lunenburg take the shore roads and enjoy the scenery. Allow two hours or so to get back using the main highway.

However, to answer the OPs original question

Can someone suggest a driving route in Halifax in order to see the best sites in one day during a cruise port stop?
:

You do not need a car to see the best sites in Halifax. Stroll the waterfront and up Spring Garden Road to the Public Gardens. You will find plenty to see and do.

That's the route, and it could be under 4 hours if you sped through it, but you're going to want to spend an hour at Peggy's Cove and time at the memorial, and browsing Lunenburg (plus lunch) will take another couple hours. It's a great "on your own" day trip

Maybe I wasn't clear. I tried to say that the in-car driving portion takes 3 1/2 hours, leaving you with 4 hours to spend at the numerous spots along the way.

I still disagree I live here and I do the drive with traffic getting out of Halifax and the back roads not knowing where your going looking at all the scenery it will take a while. I never like to push the time limits and be a dock runner

I still disagree I live here and I do the drive with traffic getting out of Halifax and the back roads not knowing where your going looking at all the scenery it will take a while. I never like to push the time limits and be a dock runner

I did this trip last week, driving from Pier 21 to Lunenburg, back to Peggy's Cove lighthouse, and then returning to Pier 21.

The highway portion of the trip was approximately 1 1/2 hours to Lunenburg exit, then 45 minutes back to Peggy's Cove exit.

The time on the back roads is what slows you down. These are two-lane, winding roads. If you happen to get behind a motorhome, there are almost no possibilities of passing.

The distance from the exit for Peggy's Cove until you arrive is approximately 15 miles, but it may take you 30 minutes or longer to drive that distance.

After spending a lot more time in the rental and not much time actually visiting Lunenburg and Peggy's Cove, we wished we had eliminated one of the stops.

I did this trip last week, driving from Pier 21 to Lunenburg, back to Peggy's Cove lighthouse, and then returning to Pier 21.

The highway portion of the trip was approximately 1 1/2 hours to Lunenburg exit, then 45 minutes back to Peggy's Cove exit.

The time on the back roads is what slows you down. These are two-lane, winding roads. If you happen to get behind a motorhome, there are almost no possibilities of passing.

The distance from the exit for Peggy's Cove until you arrive is approximately 15 miles, but it may take you 30 minutes or longer to drive that distance.

After spending a lot more time in the rental and not much time actually visiting Lunenburg and Peggy's Cove, we wished we had eliminated one of the stops.

One of the great things about CC is that you get varied opinions. :)

While I would still recommend Peggy's Cove and Lunenburg, in that order, I fully respect the views of girlpookie and fsdj1097. It just seems such a shame to have to pick between these two wonderful locations when you've rented a car and both are well within your reach.

Maybe I wasn't clear. I tried to say that the in-car driving portion takes 3 1/2 hours, leaving you with 4 hours to spend at the numerous spots along the way.

Maybe if you know the route, there is no traffic and you speed a little, otherwise this drive is closer to 4 1/2 hours.

Maybe if you know the route, there is no traffic and you speed a little, otherwise this drive is closer to 4 1/2 hours.

Google Maps' directions for that route give a 3 hour 19 minute driving time estimate, which is very close to my experience having driven the route hundreds of times. Remember, other than the loop out to Peggys Cove on the 333, I'm driving the 103, not the 3.