Project Runway?

BlueHerons

Tonight's episode made me feel very old - I have never heard of either of the guest judges before.

I agreed with the winning and losing teams but I would have given the win and loss to the other member of the team than the judges did.

The only two looks I liked tonight were Sean's pants and cape/top and I think it was Fade's dress with the lace and paint neckline echoed in the hemline. I actually liked the dress far better (I really hate pants that length) but his partner's look was ghastly. Oh and I forgot about Amanda's dress .. very 60s and I really liked it too.

So they ask for an avant garde wedding look and pick the most traditional combo they were shown? I would have said Emily/fade followed the guidelines the most.

That said, the only thing I really cared for was Sean's top, which I would totally wear.

It seemed like the judges did extra pawing of the models this episode. It really creeped me out.

So they ask for an avant garde wedding look and pick the most traditional combo they were shown? I would have said Emily/fade followed the guidelines the most.

That said, the only thing I really cared for was Sean's top, which I would totally wear.

It seemed like the judges did extra pawing of the models this episode. It really creeped me out.

Yes, I have often felt for the models on this show -- one really gets the feeling that, in spite of a few comments about the "peek-a-boo" problems, it still seems to me that the models are expected to show whatever it is they are forced to show, with no option for refusal. It's their job, I guess, but I wish they would stand up for themselves and say, "I will not wear that until you make it decent!" Yes, the private bits are masked over for TV, but you know they are totally visible to the designers, judges, and crew.

But I think models are looked at as non-entities, anyway -- like walking (strutting) clothes hangers, with painted-on personalities according to the designers' whims. They are not supposed to be "real people" -- not "people" at all, actually. I see this when I watch runway shows (not PR ones, but real ones) where every single model looks identical to the next, and they are completely expressionless, like stiff, sick, heroine-addicted robots. I have also read that they are expected to sleep with everyone to get better gigs, and of course, they starve themselves. What a dehumanizing occupation (however lucrative)!!

Granted, the designers on this show seem to have friendly relationships with their models, but I don't think that's realistic for the world of high fashion... In this show, the designers are dependent on the models to show their work well so the designers can advance. And of course, the models advance if the designers do... But I think professional designers' attitudes about models come out in this "pawing" you mention, which is perpetrated by Nina and Zac, in particular. They could take the clothes off the models and examine them on hangers, after all...

Of course, I have no personal experience with any of this -- these are just my impressions...

As for this week's show...

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear!

What a disappointment! The idea of going "outside the box" seemed to result in folks generally being way more "inside the box" than they had been on other episodes! Yes, well, the colors were different -- but as we all know from experience on this show, an unexpected color does not a design make!

Where was the "design" this week? Kini, at least, showed his usual skill, and though I thought the suit was a little off balance, it at least had a strong design element. I am still waiting for Kini to be recognized for what he is and does -- I think he is under-appreciated. And yes, I am glad Sean seems to be back in the running -- I just like him. But time will tell whether he has enough in him to go the distance. I think he has more ideas than ability.

I am expecting Sandhya to fail -- I think she is running out of whatever steam it was that got her on the show (not that I ever liked her style). She talked big in the auditions about women coming into their own and making political statements through their clothes and all that, but she has not so far produced anything that makes any kind of statement at all, especially, IMO, a fashion statement! :rolleyes:

So that leaves, let's see... not too many others that I think will be finals-worthy. But wait -- there's always Fade! He is another dark horse -- just don't think the judges have "seen the light" with him yet. Don't know why... maybe it's that dirty, grungy, Berlin street style that hasn't resonated. His style is very much of the the graffiti nature, I think -- impressive art, produced by self-taught artists, but also vandalism and the "ruin" of many a beautiful and historic building. Berliners love it and are proud of it, but tourists, not so much. It makes visitors, especially Americans, nervous, so they try to ignore it. I think the judges are ignoring Fade, and I think Fade is just a little too reserved to break out (so far) and really wow the judges. Again, his stuff is too "wearable!" (I recognize that the judges are not necessarily, in majority, American at all, but they represent an American fashion esthetic.)

BTW, I was just looking through my August issue of InStyle magazine, and what do you know -- a full page of bright yellow dresses! I wonder when Project Runway is filmed -- could Sandhya have been taking her color cue from what InStyle was showing as a trend? Below are three yellow gowns from the August InStyle. Just goes to show that bright yellow in a well-designed, well-executed gown is not a bad thing...

In order: Emma Stone in Atelier Versace, Olivia Munn in DVF (isn't she the spittin' image of Dita Von Teese?), Shailene Woodley in RL Collection

emma-stone-yellow-dress-g.jpgolivia-munn.jpgshailene-woodley-the-fault-in-our-stars-nyc-premiere-gty-1-lead.jpg?w=600

Edited by SeagoingMom

BTW, I was just looking through my August issue of InStyle magazine, and what do you know -- a full page of bright yellow dresses! I wonder when Project Runway is filmed -- could Sandhya have been taking her color cue from what InStyle was showing as a trend? Below are three yellow gowns from the August InStyle. Just goes to show that bright yellow in a well-designed, well-executed gown is not a bad thing...

In order: Emma Stone in Atelier Versace, Olivia Munn in DVF (isn't she the spittin' image of Dita Von Teese?), Shailene Woodley in RL Collection

Just got re-interesed in PR. They lost me for awhile with some of the things they were doing and especially when Tim Gunn was gone.

You could be right about Sandhya but these are a nice warm, pleasing yellow.:) IMO, her yellow was a garish, hurt the eyes yellow.:eek:

Someone used to post pictures from the show and it was even possible to enlarge areas to see things in detail. Does anyone know if that is still available?

Just got re-interesed in PR. They lost me for awhile with some of the things they were doing and especially when Tim Gunn was gone.

You could be right about Sandhya but these are a nice warm, pleasing yellow.:) IMO, her yellow was a garish, hurt the eyes yellow.:eek:

Someone used to post pictures from the show and it was even possible to enlarge areas to see things in detail. Does anyone know if that is still available?

The PR website has "Rate the Runway" where you can see different views of the outfit and the fabric.

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway/season-13/rate-the-runway/episode-6#rate

I thought Sandhya's top looked like a bad craft project from summer camp. I felt sorry for Char getting stuck with that color. I guess she should have been more vocal at Mood.

I think Sandhya was drawing on her culture, where weddings are in gold, red, and bright yellow. They chose the wrong shade, though. It should have been more of a marigold than that canary yellow. And the designs didn't allude to the Indian culture, so it just didn't work. I get the idea that none of the designers are aware of Indian styles at all, though the judges are, so that's why she gets more approval from the judges.

I haven't really liked any of Sandhya's designs, but I really like her, so I'm always torn.

The judges' reaction to Amanda's I found surprising.

My jaw almost fell on the floor ... I was expecting her to go home immediately do not pass go .. with that lingerie!! And they like Kini's dress and I thought it looked like Lingerie too .. not his finest moment.

On the other hand .. I am absolutely in love with Korinna's winning look. Elegance personified, but not for a cruise unless it was a winter cruise to the Fjords or the like. An the jewelry she picked was heavenly.

So happy with Korinna's win. Loved everything about her look. Sean's was lovely, too. They both really showcased their jewels.

Amanda? Meh. Why are they bending over backwards for her?

I would have been OK with Alexander going home, too. But that girl was boring on the runway and off so I understand the decision.

Fade disappointed me this week. What he wore was much cooler.

I always check Tom and Lorenzo after posting here. They have all 9 remaining contestants Fashion Week collections on their site. No comments, just two images of each look.

So, no matter what kind of tears you see from this point out, all 9 got to show. To me, that's the biggest prize of this competition.

Char's collection is totally cruise ready. Not my favorite, but look and see.

I always check Tom and Lorenzo after posting here. They have all 9 remaining contestants Fashion Week collections on their site. No comments, just two images of each look.

So, no matter what kind of tears you see from this point out, all 9 got to show. To me, that's the biggest prize of this competition.

Char's collection is totally cruise ready. Not my favorite, but look and see.

I was not wowed by any of the collections. Sandhya's was pretty conservative in relation to what she has shown so far but that lipstick:eek::eek:. Alexander's models look like starving 12 year old refugees. I liked Char's print. Fringe seems to have taken over Sean!

So happy with Korinna's win. Loved everything about her look. Sean's was lovely, too. They both really showcased their jewels.

Amanda? Meh. Why are they bending over backwards for her?

I would have been OK with Alexander going home, too. But that girl was boring on the runway and off so I understand the decision.

Fade disappointed me this week. What he wore was much cooler.

Korinna: I never dreamed that "thrown together, one seam" black dress would be so fabulous, above and beyond the success of the coat! And the jewelry was perfectly highlighted by the outfit.

Sean: Can't argue that he showed off those jewels to perfection and did a bang-up job of tailoring. The dress was, ultimately, incredibly "safe," but when the Chopard rep says she would put it on the front of their catalog, I guess one has to count that as success!

Amanda: I think she knows Heidi's style and plays to that. You know Heidi would have killed to show off her body in that slinky jumpsuit! I wonder if Heidi doesn't have veto power in the judging?

In general, the judges like Amanda because she is "innovative," which they value, but they don't seem pay any attention to my opinion that her style is unappealing! :rolleyes:

Maybe it's simply a way to keep up viewership -- it was supposedly the viewers who voted Amanda back on the show, right? Maybe the producers don't want to antagonize Amanda's fans?

Fade: I agree with you totally on him -- the dress was way too sporty and way too J.C. Penney. But I was glad he was safe. Like you said, his personal style is better than what he has been showing -- he just seems unwilling to step out of the box. But I think he could have a very successful career in fashion design, even if he "only" designs funky but "wearable" stuff! :) Maybe he's just not "runway" material...

Char: Oh, boy -- I am wondering if Tim just let his emotions run away with him here -- was he more attached to Char as a person than as a designer? I can't see that she was all that much of a superstar to use up the one and only "save." But maybe Tim thought there would be no one else to dramatically save through the rest of the series...

Char: Oh, boy -- I am wondering if Tim just let his emotions run away with him here -- was he more attached to Char as a person than as a designer? I can't see that she was all that much of a superstar to use up the one and only "save." But maybe Tim thought there would be no one else to dramatically save through the rest of the series...

After realizing that the final nine all showed at Fashion Week, I suspect that was what influenced Tim more than Char's work on the runway to date. He is such a sweetie I'm willing to bet he wanted her to have that chance to show. If she could just stay safe that one time, she would be in. And, she did.

My personal favorite of the Fashion Week runway (as shown on Tom & Lorenzo's blog) was fade. I would totally wear his clothes (if they came in my size). Do I think they're what would/will win? Highly doubtful. But they win space in my closet. haha

Edited by SeaBunny

Hey guys!

I know I haven't been on this thread for a while but I wanted to pop in and share that one of my closest friends was a designer this season.

Unfortunately, the show wasn't as great an experience as he hoped.

The show is COMPLETELY producer driven, the judges have ZERO input as to who stays and who goes.

I think it jumped the shark when it moved to Lifetime. That season in LA kind of killed it.

That said, I really hope Amanda wins.

Edited by BlueHerons

Hey guys!

I know I haven't been on this thread for a while but I wanted to pop in and share that one of my closest friends was a designer this season.

The show is COMPLETELY producer driven, the judges have ZERO input as to who stays and who goes.

I think it jumped the shark when it moved to Lifetime. That season in LA kind of killed it.

I would love to know which one is your friend.

Hey guys!

I guess I don't fully understand what you are saying (or maybe I do and just don't want to admit it...:o)

So the whole show is fake -- the judges discuss and argue and examine the garments and comment to the designers and everything else, but the producers simply tell the judges whom to vote for (and vote off?)

Sad, if true. But not really unexpected, as the show is on for the producers to make money, after all, not to benefit the "contestants." (Though I hope the exposure does benefit them.)

Just finished watching -- finally Kini won! But I wish he hadn't had to share the win with Sean. Sean's idea was brilliant, yes, but the dress was a lot of nothing, and ill-fitting -- did you see the model's "side boobs" while she was in front of the judges? She was hanging out everywhere. Sean is a bright guy and had a great idea -- but the dress was nothing compared to Kini's -- Kini is a bright guy with a great idea, too. As a matter of fact, it was Kini who immediately thought up a way for Sean to pack his dyes into the dress, when Sean's method seemed not to be working out.

I knew in my heart Fade was going home -- he's been "fading" as the season's gone on. He is just too cool and laid back. He didn't seem to know how to push himself. I just wish Korinna hadn't had immunity -- I would rather have seen Fade stay than her.

Sandhya? Again with the praise for Sandhya? I am sorry, I just don't get it. What about her "style" is fashionable in any sense? Who would wear what she cobbles together, under any circumstances? She should look for a job designing costumes for a puppet theater.

I was confused by this show -- what was the connection between the curved TV and the rain? The designers who ran with the TV inspiration utterly failed, in my book. And then Sandhya tried to go with both concepts, and ended up with a huge mish-mash of everything, as she always does. Pinwheels that were supposed to spin in the rain? She talks a good talk. She "never references another designer..." No kidding! No designer would be caught dead referencing her, either!

Did not like the lighting effect on the runway -- too much glare on the rain -- I couldn't see the garments well. I liked the idea of the rain though -- and that some designers made what actually could have been looked at as pretty cool "rain wear!"

Maybe we should all suggest our own ideas for new challenges -- I'll bet we could think of some the producers haven't thought up!

Blue herons, get back here.

As soon as I saw the beginnings of Sandhya's mess, I thought she was a goner, or should be. It was even worse when it was done. I sure don't get the judges getting her. I would be willing to guess if anyone else put out garhbaazh like hers, they would be ripped to death.

Well, it was an avante garde challenge.

Sandhya's dress made me smile -- happily. It was unwearable and even silly, but is anyone supposed to be able to wear avante garde clothes? And, silly is a nice change sometimes.

A double win, huh? But you don't win anything, so who cares?

Agree that Sean's dress was a big yawn. I was surprised no one called him on it. The dye was a trick, not a fashion statement.

Kini's? That was not the first time that exact skirt shape has turned up on this show (though the others were not that long). Maybe the third. However, I liked his outfit a lot -- including the hat.

I loved Alexander's coat. It was actually my favorite piece, though the jumpsuit underneath I'm not sure about.

I found Amanda's "eyes" more alarming than Sandhya's outfit.

It was obvious fade was leaving. He's my favorite designer -- for the type of clothes I actually like to wear. I wanted him to go further, but at least he got to show at Fashion Week.

Tim Gunn and Heidi are both producers, btw. There are a slew of names listed as producers. I would like to know more about how that non-judging process works.

Tim Gunn and Heidi are both producers, btw. There are a slew of names listed as producers. I would like to know more about how that non-judging process works.

Heidi does often seem to get her way. She championed Patricia all season when the other judges were not always complimentary. She is definitely in Sandhya's corner this season.

I would like to know about this non-judging thing also and what criteria they use to choose the winners.

And totally unrelated.... Why is Alexander always voted the "fan favorite"?