Project Runway?

BlueHerons

"Threads," is promising to become PR for kids.

I watched it last Thursday, and those kids did show a talent for design. I was amazed by the clothing that these kids produced with the help of their assistants (parents).

Bradford won. His gown was lovely, but the street dress was a hot mess.

I watched it, too, though in my previous post I said I wasn't expecting much...it was not as bad as I had anticipated. I had assumed it was going to be a clone of PR, meaning the same kind of "process of elimination" competition, over a whole season. Obviously it's not that -- just one competition per show. I was glad of that, because I did not relish the idea of seeing these very young people struggling under the pressure of the regular format -- some of the adult competitors can't even make it through that pressure cooker.

What I did not expect and did not care much for was the role of the "helpers" on Threads. The parents. IMO, paid too important a role in the show, and it may have been the parents who won or lost the competition for the child. And I always find parents gushing over their kids boring, even vicariously embarrassing. Whereas I understand there are good reasons why the kids should work with someone they know, I would like to have seen each of them given a professional helper who would simply do what they were told and would have basically no "speaking" role.

I also thought the kids might be designing for their own age group -- I think that would have been more interesting, as there is no show that features designing for "juniors," and surely that is a pretty big market. It just seems weird to see thirteen year-olds designing red carpet looks -- unless the look is for Elle Fanning or Quvenzhané Wallis! And in the end, when their designs did, naturally I think, tend toward a "junior" aesthetic, they were penalized for that -- like in the white trim on the red gown. Trim like that is such a "girly" thing.

I was not at all happy with the so-called advantage Cambria got by winning the preliminary competition. It is not an "advantage" for her to take the helper from someone else -- it is a disadvantage for the designer whose helper is taken. An advantage for one should not be a penalty for another. The producers should have given her more time, or an outside helper -- not an opportunity to steal from and thereby penalize only one of her competitors. I cry "foul!"

Also, four judges is twice what they need for three competitors. It is a good thing for the kids to be exposed to that many people in the fashion world, yes, but really? Having four judges made the whole thing way too serious and "important," too me.

And did anyone else think it was ironic that Vanessa Simmons (whoever she is... :o) -- all dressed in black with white polka dots -- suggested that Kenzie get away from black and white and use more color?! :eek: (and then when Kenzie did this, she was criticized by Siriano...)

I am; the DVR recorded the first one, so I watched. I wasn't overly impressed by many of the looks, and the bottom two were both terrible. But the loser's was just a notch worse.

The montage of the mayhem coming up this season looked promising.

Wanna bet Alyssa has her baby before the end of the show? She looked to be pretty far along. :eek:

Wanna bet Alyssa has her baby before the end of the show? She looked to be pretty far along. :eek:

I was kind of thinking she wouldn't even be on it since I had heard she had quit whatever TV series she was on because of the baby.

She had the baby on Sept. 4th. Not sure when the series was taped. I don't think the All Stars takes as long to tape a season as the regular season. IIRC, they don't show at Fashion Week but have their own runway show.

I was kind of thinking she wouldn't even be on it since I had heard she had quit whatever TV series she was on because of the baby.

She had the baby on Sept. 4th. Not sure when the series was taped. I don't think the All Stars takes as long to tape a season as the regular season. IIRC, they don't show at Fashion Week but have their own runway show.

She had her baby a couple of weeks after the finale (I read an interview on Entertainment Weekly).

I read that she quit Mistresses because they moved taping to another city and she didn't want to move her family or be away from her family for long periods of time. I didn't think she would stop working, but I honestly don't remember any of her comments on the issue. I just remember production was moving (looked it up - moving from LA to Canada and Milano had a stipulation in her contract that she would be released if it moved from LA).

She had her baby a couple of weeks after the finale (I read an interview on Entertainment Weekly).

I read that she quit Mistresses because they moved taping to another city and she didn't want to move her family or be away from her family for long periods of time. I didn't think she would stop working, but I honestly don't remember any of her comments on the issue. I just remember production was moving (looked it up - moving from LA to Canada and Milano had a stipulation in her contract that she would be released if it moved from LA).

Thanks!

I totally agreed with the winner and loser. I really liked the winning look.

That white dress on Alyssa was horrible. She looked about three feet high and twice that wide. Not the best maternity dress ever.

For some reason I cannot remeber Jay from his season even though he came in fourth. I guess he was not very controversial.

That white dress on Alyssa was horrible. She looked about three feet high and twice that wide. Not the best maternity dress ever.

For some reason I cannot remeber Jay from his season even though he came in fourth. I guess he was not very controversial.

This is a nice short video that recaps Jay's season. He was a nice guy. Seeing the video...I remembered that he was almost always wearing a scarf...and no, he wasn't a controversial guy...IIRC, he was a fan favorite.

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway/video/designer-retrospectives/season-7/episode-1/jay-nicolas-sarios-design-retrospective

Edited by Anita Latte
Added link!

I kept commenting on that myself through every scene in which she appeared. Then, during the judges' discussion the cameraman caught her slouching in her chair, with her feet spread apart -- she looked like a toadstool. I grant she must have been uncomfortable, but don't TV personalities learn to never be caught on camera in an awkward position? If I had been the director I would have given the film editor a good talking to!

Whoever dressed Alyssa in that white dress must really not like her at all! Really, whoever designed that dress must have something against women, and pregnant women in particular!

This is a nice short video that recaps Jay's season. He was a nice guy. Seeing the video...I remembered that he was almost always wearing a scarf...and no, he wasn't a controversial guy...IIRC, he was a fan favorite.

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway/video/designer-retrospectives/season-7/episode-1/jay-nicolas-sarios-design-retrospective

Thanks for the link!

Edited by Scrapnana

Alyssa looked like a kitchen scrubby in that white monstrosity. Bless her heart.

The win was well deserved. I though the caution tape dress was much better than the white baby doll number. Was surprised not to see it in top looks.

While the blue tarp dress is closest to what I would wear, but Justin tackled tougher materials and did something stunning.

Talking about personal looks now -- Alexandria came to All Stars looking better. Michelle came back looking worse. It's not just the hair -- her makeup is almost clownish.

I kept commenting on that myself through every scene in which she appeared. Then, during the judges' discussion the cameraman caught her slouching in her chair, with her feet spread apart -- she looked like a toadstool. I grant she must have been uncomfortable, but don't TV personalities learn to never be caught on camera in an awkward position? If I had been the director I would have given the film editor a good talking to!

Whoever dressed Alyssa in that white dress must really not like her at all! Really, whoever designed that dress must have something against women, and pregnant women in particular!

I guess a designer can make anything. The question is........why would Alyssa think that THING was becoming in any way? Did she look in a mirror?:eek: I also noticed her slouched in the chair and thought maybe she had passed out.

He was one of my favorites in Season 7... not only did he do those amazing leather-looking pants from a trash bag but I remember him making a beautiful cocktail dress from a potato sack. I don't remember if he made it to fashion week but he did get pretty far.

I guess a designer can make anything. The question is........why would Alyssa think that THING was becoming in any way? Did she look in a mirror?:eek: I also noticed her slouched in the chair and thought maybe she had passed out.

It looked even worse from the side..... all I could think of was an Easter egg.

Somebody really hates Alyssa. That dress at the beginning was possibly even worse than last week's. I liked the blue color of the second outfit but the huge folds of fabric at the top were not flattering.

I can't disagree with the lowest look. Dmitri's was my favorite.

I agree with you about the lowest look - sad to see that designer go, but it was the right choice. But, MY favorite was Sonjia's. It was absolutely beautiful on the runway - honestly, I don't think anything else came close. Maybe the judge's got it right about what was wrong with Dmitri's - maybe it needed more skin?

Somebody really hates Alyssa. That dress at the beginning was possibly even worse than last week's. I liked the blue color of the second outfit but the huge folds of fabric at the top were not flattering.

Agree!! Worst thing I have ever seen on PR -- a doily dress. GAK!

This was the first challenge in a long time that I actually liked. It was clear in its parameters and created a lot of mini competitions, too.

Really hated to see Chris go. It was the right call, but I still hate it.

Even worse than Alyssa's wardrobe are her overly dramatic entrances and her annoying laugh.

I liked this challenge and thought that most of the designs were good. The winning one reminded me (the lines, not the materials) of the dress the Duchess of Cambridge wore last week to an event.

The two top dresses were certainly my favs ... I am partial to one of those two designers though ... she teaches a sewing class I'm taking at Mood, so I love her, she's super sweet

I also agree on the bottom three, it was hard to decide which one had to go home I'm sure since they were equally bad.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Even worse than Alyssa's wardrobe are her overly dramatic entrances and her annoying laugh.

I liked this challenge and thought that most of the designs were good. The winning one reminded me (the lines, not the materials) of the dress the Duchess of Cambridge wore last week to an event.

Curious as to the Duchess' dress to which you refer -- can you post a pic or name the event (or the date of the event?) Needless to say, Googling "Duchess of Cambridge" beings up hundreds (thousands :) of fabulous outfits...