Project Runway?

BlueHerons

Tim said that he didn't want a "civilian" walking down the runway all exposed. He said if they were regular models he wouldn't have interceded. No reason to believe any of that wasn't the truth.

I believe Tim and his reason for doing what he did. However, to be completely fair, like someone else said, all the designers should also have been given an extra 5 minutes. It probably wouldn't have made a difference for anyone else, but everyone would have appeared to be on equal ground.

I just caught up on the last three weeks after returning from our cruise and I have to agree that this is a pretty lackluster group. It seems that they don't actually understand the challenges and if they do, they just don't have the best instincts. It almost seems that they are getting worse instead of better.

I hope the All Stars that will follow this season is better, but All Stars at least get what they are supposed to do for a challenge.

I just caught up on the last three weeks after returning from our cruise and I have to agree that this is a pretty lackluster group. It seems that they don't actually understand the challenges and if they do, they just don't have the best instincts. It almost seems that they are getting worse instead of better.

I hope the All Stars that will follow this season is better, but All Stars at least get what they are supposed to do for a challenge.

Is there an All Stars scheduled this year?

Yes .. it starts October 30th I think. Michelle Lesniak is one of the all stars. She has done some really nice things since she won in season 11. I am not sure who else is on this one.

Designers for Project Runway All Stars Season 4 include:

Samantha Black (Brooklyn, NY) – Season 11, 7th place – Samantha has been working on her line Sammy B Designs and taking business classes at Macy’s Business Program. Samantha was recently named “designer to watch” by both Essence and Ebony magazine.

Helen Castillo (Union City, NJ) – Season 12, 5th place – Helen has been struggling to make a name for herself, although she has had some success and celebrity interest. She designed a Grammy® dress for Mary Lambert and mainly makes custom dresses for the everyday woman.

Fabio Costa (New York, NY) – Season 10, Runner-up – Fabio narrowly missed his chance to win his season but was so inspired that he and his design partner went straight to work creating their own androgynous and minimalist line called NotEqual. He is ready to come back to the runway and this time isn’t walking away without the win.

Gunnar Deatherage (Louisville, KY) – Season 10, 8th place – Recently the creative director of NFocus Magazine, Gunnar spends his days styling, overseeing photo shoots and working on his designs at night for his line, Deatherage Designs.

Justin LeBlanc (Raleigh, NC) – Season 12, 3rd place – Justin returned to being a full-time professor after Season 12 and recently completed his spring/summer collection, which will debut at the end of August at the Contemporary Art Museum. And on top of all of that, he is also working on a Fall/Winter 2014/2015 collection with a theme based on his definition of love without boundaries.

Michelle Lesniak (Portland, OR) – Season 11, Winner – Michelle returned to Portland after her successful run on Runway and is currently in the process of opening her own boutique. Dedicated to local manufacturing and ethical business practices, she is undoubtedly playing a key role in shaping and growing the Portland fashion industry.

Benjamin Mach (New York, NY/Sydney Australia) – Season 11, 11th place – His made-to-order Benjamin Mach label, merging luxurious fabrics with label launched February 2014, merging luxurious fabrics with a modern design.

Chris March (New York, NY) – Season 4, 4th place – Chris continues to build his business, Chris March Designs, designing for stars like Madonna, Prince and Lady Gaga. He recently formed an exclusive partnership with Target to design costumes and wigs for Halloween season.

Patricia Michaels (Albuquerque, NM) – Season 11, Runner-up – Patricia returned to Albuquerque where she has been building a new studio and working on a ready-to-wear collection. On the side, she booked back-to-back fashion shows all over the country and is working on a short film with her son.

Kate Pankoke (Chicago, IL) – Season 11, 9th Place/Season 12, 6th place – Third time’s a charm for Kate, who will stop at nothing to be the next big designer. She now has her own bridal line and a new collection launching in October. Her fascination with princesses has led her to design wedding dresses that enable every woman to feel like royalty on their special day.

Jay Sario (New York, NY) – Season 7, 4th place – After his original season, Jay moved from Hawaii to New York, where he currently works as a full-time visual merchandiser for Calvin Klein North America and freelances on the side. His recent passion is bridal wear.

Dmitry Sholokhov (New York, NY) – Season 10, Winner – After winning Season 10 of Runway, Dmitry created his own brand, Dmitry Sholokhov, and showed his collection in Moscow. He has an exclusive collection for Lord & Taylor. He believes that the greatest thing he took away from Runway was all of the accolades and critiques he received from the panel of expert judges.

Alexandria von Bromssen (San Mateo, CA) – Season 12, Runner-up – Last year, Alexandria returned to San Mateo, where she manages her own clothing line, owns a designer boutique and runs a sewing camp for kids called Camp Couture. She is most proud of designing a modern and edgy wedding dress made from recycled fabrics and vintage lace.

Sonjia Williams (Woodside, NY) – Season 10, 5th place – Project Runway really helped Sonjia understand more about the fashion business and what it takes to succeed. She currently has a collection with Anabelle NY, and her clothes are available in Neiman Marcus and Saks Fifth Avenue. She is also working on her own solo line, Something by Sonjia.

Frankly, I'm very miffed at Tim Gunn for allowing more time to fix the zipper. Extra time has never been given to anyone else, and yes, because she was saved once already, this looks like he was playing favorites. I think to be fair they should have all left the workroom on time and the model could have been given safety pins to close up the side. BUT - she should have had to pin the side together herself without her designer's help.

I love Char to pieces, but her outfit was really ugly to begin with, then throw in the broken zipper and she very easily could have been sent home. Plus, Tim Gunn clearly didn't want to mention zipper-gate at all. I think he swayed the outcome, which he is not supposed to do.

Did anyone besides me notice that Char's outfit was a lot like Sandhya's previous "baby onesie" outfit? Related colors, peplum taking the place of the rufffle... Just two pieces instead of one, and short shorts -- which looked pretty young, actually -- instead of long pants.

Did anyone besides me notice that Char's outfit was a lot like Sandhya's previous "baby onesie" outfit? Related colors, peplum taking the place of the rufffle... Just two pieces instead of one, and short shorts -- which looked pretty young, actually -- instead of long pants.

Yes, yes, YES! And neither one looked like something a grown woman would or should be wearing. Char's was even worse, because her design was supposed to be "rocker" inspired. *shudder* I thought Korina's outfit would have been perfect for Char's real woman.

I think the loser deserved to go home for general snarkiness (not sure that is a real word) as well as tonight's designs.

Sean definitely loves cobalt blue as much as I do. Loved his coat although it might be hard to sit in with the lamp shade in the back.:eek:

I think the loser deserved to go home for general snarkiness (not sure that is a real word) as well as tonight's designs.

Sean definitely loves cobalt blue as much as I do. Loved his coat although it might be hard to sit in with the lamp shade in the back.:eek:

I actually cheered when Heidi announced that she was out. The loser was definitely graceless and classless!

The previews for next week looked VERY interesting! :eek:

This was one of those weeks where Sean's technical problems of getting the garment to be "wearable" (walkable) were overridden by the fact that the design had some flair and some innovation (though Christian thought the cut-outs were old hat.) Korinna's and Emily's stuff looked like a crazy mash-up to me, and very dated, as the judges said, but I have to say I liked the look of the big colorful sweater -- so cozy! I was not a big a fan of Emily's look as the judges were -- too many elements. Char's one hour dress was amazing! Even if Korinna had constructed that checkerboard dress perfectly, it would still have been boring. I thought Kini and Amanda's comeback from Tim's critique was miraculous -- talk about "making it work!"

This was a weird challenge; fabric for some and "unconventional materials" for others...

I know things are edited to create story lines, but Korinne should be very ashamed of herself after seeing this episode. After all, they can't edit in something that didn't happen.

It's hard to believe Char could do that dress in an hour after struggling so with that jacket for two days. Maybe she works best under pressure? Or maybe it's just that she works really well with stretch knits? Interesting.

Happy that Chris March is coming back for all stars. He was part of a two (one? three?) day all stars thing they did ages ago. Everyone one else was frantic, he would take naps and still turn out something awesome. I believe he had his own show for a bit.

And Christian Sariano for Threads! He seems to have been the most successful of all PR contestants. He still shows at every MBFW and gets positive reviews. I was tickled that he disagreed with Nina about some things. I'm a huge fan of his. He was in the same season as Chris March. He would finish his awesome outfit and then visit around with everyone. Talent, work ethic, and efficiency all at age 21.

Off topic pretty much, but still.... I watch "Face Off," too, which is special effects make up. Those contestants constantly help each other out -- something you really don't see on PR. Wonder what the difference is?

Just returned from Cancun. My fashion wardrobe? Shorts and t-shirts. So much easier to pack for than a cruise. haha

This was one of those weeks where Sean's technical problems of getting the garment to be "wearable" (walkable) were overridden by the fact that the design had some flair and some innovation (though Christian thought the cut-outs were old hat.) Korinna's and Emily's stuff looked like a crazy mash-up to me, and very dated, as the judges said, but I have to say I liked the look of the big colorful sweater -- so cozy! I was not a big a fan of Emily's look as the judges were -- too many elements. Char's one hour dress was amazing! Even if Korinna had constructed that checkerboard dress perfectly, it would still have been boring. I thought Kini and Amanda's comeback from Tim's critique was miraculous -- talk about "making it work!"

This was a weird challenge; fabric for some and "unconventional materials" for others...

I thought it was classless of Korina to say the things she did. However I think her original design was SOOOO much better than Chars. Also Korina has had a few wins and Char has always been almost out. Bad decision by the judges in my opinion even though I like the person Char much better the designer Char is the least talented of the bunch (she cant sew!)

I know things are edited to create story lines, but Korinne should be very ashamed of herself after seeing this episode. After all, they can't edit in something that didn't happen.

It's hard to believe Char could do that dress in an hour after struggling so with that jacket for two days. Maybe she works best under pressure? Or maybe it's just that she works really well with stretch knits?

Or maybe the dress was mostly Sean.;) It did look like something he would make.

Or maybe the dress was mostly Sean.;) It did look like something he would make.

This is what I think which is why I think it was unfair to let Korina go. I havent seen one thing of Chars except the blue 1 hr dress that I liked or that looked runway ready-and Im pretty sure that was all Sean.

Well, whether we (or they) like it or not, this is the risk they all run with group challenges, and why they hate them so much! And part of the challenge is to make the best possible use of your teammates, which as Sean pointed out when he was helping Char with the one-hour dress, is really helping out the competition. But whether Sean helped or sabotaged Char, one or the other of the two "losers" was going to move forward. And I think it would be really hard for a decent, upstanding person to deliberately sabotage someone else on this show. Through the seasons, we have all seen teammates throw each other under the bus, though, and also simply ignore teammates and let them sink themselves...

Ultimately, for me, the question is less who sewed Char's dress as who designed it. In past seasons they used to emphasize that the show is not a tailoring competition, but a design competition. I find it hard to imagine that successful designers all got to where they are now because they themselves were great tailors! I guess it's possible it happened this way, but once they become successful, they certainly aren't doing any of the sewing!

As regards Korina's first look -- I wondered whether the "South American" (specifically Peruvian) vibe didn't rub Nina the wrong way -- she's from Columbia, right? Maybe she saw in that team's look some of the elements of what she and her friends were wearing in high school in S. America (assuming she went to high school there...). She seemed sensitive to the "southwestern" vibe, even though as Korina rightly pointed out, when she used that esthetic before, she won! It certainly seems true that what Nina doesn't like, she hates! She is rarely ambivalent.

BTW, Tom and Lorenzo continue to post the MBFW collections as the contestants are eliminated if you want to see what you won't see.

Their observations about this episode opened my eyes.

I am very confused about what I just saw on T&L's website. They seem to have posted the runway shows of more than just the designers who have been eliminated so far on the show -- is this the case? Did I just get tipped off inadvertently to who will not be in the final four? Or am I missing something here?

I immediately left the T&L website and I am trying to forget what I saw... :rolleyes: I don't want to see any designer's runway show if it gives away info about the future of the competition.

Edited by SeagoingMom