Project Runway?

BlueHerons

The two top dresses were certainly my favs ... I am partial to one of those two designers though ... she teaches a sewing class I'm taking at Mood, so I love her, she's super sweet

I also agree on the bottom three, it was hard to decide which one had to go home I'm sure since they were equally bad.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Which designer is your teacher?

I thought it was interesting that Seth Aaron (I think it was he...) said he wished he had seen Kate's dress before she changed it -- I wish I had, too. They did not show enough of it in the workroom for me to get a feel for what the original design looked like. (And so what if it looked like maternity wear? Alyssa has been a poster-child this season for the need for truly flattering maternity looks! And maybe that does represent Kate's future!) I agree that the "revamped" version was underwhelming -- it must be a really hard thing for the designers to decide whether on not to change their ideas after critiques. I remember all through school finding that most of the time, changing an answer on homework or a test resulted in getting it wrong -- I wonder if the designers feel that way, too -- that they (most of the time) would have been better off sticking with their original idea... Of course, there have been some pretty spectacular "saves" (last-minute new designs) through the seasons...

And I loved the back and forth between Nina and Isaac regarding whether Helen's dress was timeless -- I am not a big Isaac fan myself, and I get the feeling Nina doesn't have much use for him either! (But then again, Nina doesn't seem to have much use for anybody who doesn't share her opinions...) It is a change of pace, at least, when the judges go after each other instead of going after the designers!

I agreed with Seth Aaron (was it he?) who said the curved neckline of Helen's red dress read "frown." But as Nina said, it was very romantic -- to me it read tragically romantic. I just thought it should have been a little longer -- mid-calf, to me, would have clinched the beautiful melancholy of that look.

Which designer is your teacher?

***spoiler alert***

Sonjia! (I was vague so as to not be a spoiler) And also if you remember him, Viktor Luna is also helping us in the class. There are of course other designers but those two are the only PR alumni.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Today, I went to a trunk show of Jay McCarroll's. He was absolutely delightful to talk to. I had to censor what he wrote since he is also quite irreverent.

Jaypostcard.png

When he looked at this picture he said, "wow, I look like a Pilgrim!!!". Well, Thanksgiving is not far off. LOL

Jayfulllength.png

His things were very reasonable and I bought this scarf which was $35. It's a stretch for me but I thought the print was very representative of his style and with all the colors, I can wear it with a lot.

Jayscarf.png

Speaking of style.....he said he is changing his focus from 20 somethings to the more mature ladies.

I told him that his Chrysler Building dress was my favorite and he laughed. Said the workmanship was so bad but that's what glue and staples are for since there is NO way something can be made well in the time they have. I said, so smoke and mirrors? He said the whole show is smoke and mirrors.:D

Edited by iheartbda

Today, I went to a trunk show of Jay McCarroll's. He was absolutely delightful to talk to. I had to censor what he wrote since he is also quite irreverent.

When he looked at this picture he said, "wow, I look like a Pilgrim!!!". Well, Thanksgiving is not far off. LOL

Jayfulllength.png

His things were very reasonable and I bought this scarf which was $35. It's a stretch for me but I thought the print was very representative of his style and with all the colors, I can wear it with a lot.

Jayscarf.png

Speaking of style.....he said he is changing his focus from 20 somethings to the more mature ladies.

I told him that his Chrysler Building dress was my favorite and he laughed. Said the workmanship was so bad but that's what glue and staples are for since there is NO way something can be made well in the time they have. I said, so smoke and mirrors? He said the whole show is smoke and mirrors.:D

Wow -- amazing to me that he did not already realize he looked like a Pilgrim -- what did he think he looked like, I wonder? :confused:

Pretty scarf!

• 2 weeks later...

The "What is Alyssa wearing???" problem is really bugging me. It is a slap in the face to all pregnant women. This is a show about fashion, and Alyssa certainly must have access to designer clothes, and most likely, a stylist. What are they thinking???! How could they possibly dress her, and how could she possible agree to be dressed, so unflatteringly? It reminds me of the times on PR when the designers have to create outfits for "real women." Across the board, with few exceptions, they do a horrible job of designing flattering garments for women with real female bodies. (No offense to the stick-straight of this world...) Granted, these days no one wants to look like a tent while pregnant, and poor Alyssa has certainly "blossomed" during this pregnancy. But IMO neither should she choose or be convinced to look like an inflated balloon. There really must be some better choices out there for her...

I want to see a PR for "regular" women, and pregnant ones, too!

Jaypostcard.png

Jayfulllength.png

Jayscarf.png

I second it. Nice scarf and how could he not think he looked like a pilgrim?

I have been wondering about the smoke and mirrors part. Really how could they do all that in the small time frame.

Edited by tbbtravels

Poor Alyssa. Unfortunately, her short torso is all baby and boobs now which makes it hard for anything to look good. But every choice seems so wrong. Girl, wear some simple black knits with killer jewelry.

I rather preferred Dimitri's coat. Would love Justin's if it was longer fore and aft. It would certainly keep your lady parts cool as is. ;)

Poor Alyssa. Unfortunately, her short torso is all baby and boobs now which makes it hard for anything to look good. But every choice seems so wrong. Girl, wear some simple black knits with killer jewelry.

I rather preferred Dimitri's coat. Would love Justin's if it was longer fore and aft. It would certainly keep your lady parts cool as is. ;)

I think Justin might have won if his coat had not been so open in the back.

I did not think Benjamin's was the worst. I disliked Helen's and Michelle's and Sonjia's was terrible from behind (much worse than Justin's IMHO because it was so unflattering).

What is with the neoprene? I wouldn't think it would be comfortable or easy to work with.

Just found this article with some best/worst choices from PR.

http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20741505_20879532,00.html#30262245

Curious as to the Duchess' dress to which you refer -- can you post a pic or name the event (or the date of the event?) Needless to say, Googling "Duchess of Cambridge" beings up hundreds (thousands :) of fabulous outfits...

Hi, sorry--I was cruising :) and then just checked this board after last night's episode.

Here's the dress I was talking about:

http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/news-photo/patron-of-the-natural-history-museum-catherine-duchess-of-news-photo/457615572

Here's the PW dress:

http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/40504/project-runway-all-stars-season-4-episode-3-something-wicked-this-way-comes

Edited by hrhdhd

Clearly the maker of the luggage they all had when they arrived in London is a show sponsor. It looked pretty good but I've been unable to find out anything about it on the website. Anyone recognize it?

According to this article it is Tumi.

http://tvrecaps.ew.com/recap/project-runway-all-stars-season-4-episode-5/

The show did not really talk up the name of the luggage as you would expect they would with a sponsor. Tumi might want the bags back.:D

They must have stayed in London longer than the show implied (one day) or they would not have had need of luggage at all.

Edited by Scrapnana

I thought Alyssa actually looked good in the black and white spotted top and black pants at the start of the show. The dress for the runway was better than most we have seen her in.

Can't really disagree with the outcome although I think (like the guest judge) it was a difficult decision.

Michelle should have won, if the judges actually cared about creativity/innovation/whatever. However, Alyssa (and most women) would probably not want to wear that lace concoction. And since wearing the dress was part of the so-called reward -- the much-easier-to-live with gold number got the nod.

Not that I objected to the winning dress, mind you. I liked it. Highly commercial and cute. But Michelle was robbed.

It was past time for Gunnar to go. I don't even think he should have been there in the first place. Not a fan.

I thought the green lace dress looked like attack of the lizard people. It looked like green scales.

Justin really had the easiest assignment, but I thought his dress was terrible. Love Dimitri, but that awful pink thing was so not him. I cannot see Alyssa wearing the winning dress without major changes.

I thought the green lace dress looked like attack of the lizard people. It looked like green scales.

Justin really had the easiest assignment, but I thought his dress was terrible. Love Dimitri, but that awful pink thing was so not him. I cannot see Alyssa wearing the winning dress without major changes.

I think you meant "Fabio" with the Pepto-Bismol pink dress. Dimitri did the jumpsuit.