Project Runway?

BlueHerons

I think pretty much all the reality shows are scripted. They have to be. But I still enjoy watching them. I just don't take any of the seriously. They are entertainment.

They may or may not be scripted, but they certainly are edited. The producers of shows have to ensure there's conflict; otherwise, so-called reality TV would be pretty boring.

I can't say I loved any of the designs and would not choose any of them if I was shopping for bridesmaids dresses. I would like to see them close-up because there must have been more to those dark colored ones.

Yes, when Helen said, "and there's so much detail" when her dress was on the runway, I thought, "Not that I can see it on that dark fabric!"

Edited by hrhdhd

YAWN...

Does anyone else think this show has become a big snooze? Even the judges seem to think so -- "This is Project All-Stars, we expect more than you are showing us," seems to have been be the theme for the last few shows -- for the whole season, I think. What I have liked about this season, though, is the close relationships the designers seem to have developed -- that is refreshing after some really bad relationships shown in other PR-franchise competitions.

I thought the winning bridesmaid dress looked too office-like. I thought Dmitri's dress (even if he did plagiarize the design...) was flattering, definitely wearable for most figure types, and extremely versatile. I liked it. Sonjia's draped cranberry dress was the most dramatic, the most formal, and I thought, the most creative with the most potential. It was overdone, to be sure, but with tweaking, would have been ideal for a New York wedding (though it wasn't black, and I've heard no one wears anything but black at New York weddings these days...?) I did think it was ironic that Sonjia said she thought bridesmaids should "show a little skin" and then put her model in long sleeves!

What I did not understand was why all of the dresses were so "unMarchesa-like" -- dark colors, solids, no "delicacy" whatsoever -- even the fancy trims the designers chose were heavy and dowdy. No one commented on that, though.

Alyssa looked better in the two dresses in this episode than anything else she'd worn all season, IMO. The "sparkling women" Michelle commented on at Marchesa were, IMO, anything but. Georgina was unremarkable in solid black and Keren looked like a purple tie-dyed box. Not my idea of "sparkling." I think what Michelle saw that sparkled was all the money these women represent!

Hated that Fabio was eliminated. I would have sent home Michelle. Neither outfit was much, tho. I just love Fabio's take on clothes. However, he's not about "fashion," which pushes you to purge your closet from one year to the next.

This whole episode was weird. I turned off the TV when the wedding started, but who on earth would have five different designs for five bridesmaids, all made in one day? Plus, it's hard to believe that the bride had five besties who all had pretty darn good figures and faces. Bet there's a second wedding coming up -- with none of those bridesmaid dresses and possibly not the same bridesmaids.

It would have been much better if the designers were making a bridesmaid design that complimented the Marchesa dress and the winning design was used in a real wedding.

Obviously this was a sop for Chapman, but not a very good one.

This whole episode was weird. I turned off the TV when the wedding started, but who on earth would have five different designs for five bridesmaids, all made in one day? Plus, it's hard to believe that the bride had five besties who all had pretty darn good figures and faces. Bet there's a second wedding coming up -- with none of those bridesmaid dresses and possibly not the same bridesmaids.

It would be interesting to know how that particular bride was chosen.

Looked at the pictures on MyLifetime and even enlarged could not see anything special about the dark ones. The hem on Fabio's was truly horrendous. Sonjia's dress would make a great cruise formal night dress although I still would not pick it for a bridesmaid. Michelle's dress had some potential if she had had more time to work on her appliqués.

Considering this wedding happened last summer, I can't understand why a bride (or the designers) would pick such drab, wintry colors.

Alyssa was dressed better than usual although the belt and fringe on the sleeves of the dress for the wedding made it look a little like a carpet. It at least fit her nicely.

I am not a fashion savvy person but I personally did not like Sonjia's design. To me is wasn't anything new. I've seen the big bow before. JMO

I think if the challenge was to take one of Marilyn's dresses and update it to wear today I would vote for her to win. It could be a reconstructed design of the pink strapless dress with the big sash that Marilyn wore in Gentlemen Prefer Blonds.

Edited by curlyd

Alyssa's dress at the beginning was one of her better ones. The second one was more of the "sausage casing" ones she often has worn.

Zanna's dress looked like something Patricia would design if it had a few more rough edges.

Designs...

I liked Helen's but the color was bland. It was also too long.

Sonjia's looked the most red carpet to me. I did not like the short underskirt.

Michelle's fabric was pretty but I did not like the chain or the thumb hooks.

Dmitri's was ok and chevrons are popular now.

Remakes...

Michelle's was horrible and I did not like her pantscho.

Helen's was amazing for one hour.

What would have happened if Michelle had used three outfits? Her excuse did not seem real sincere.

I agree with Scrapnana about Alyssa's dresses. I thought she looked vey nice in the first one and the second would have looked better if she bought it in the right size. It looked 2 sizes too small on her. Doesn't she look in the mirror? Maybe they don't give her a choice in what she wears or maybe the outfits were picked out 3 months in advance.

Sonjia did not do the task that was asked so for me that meant immediate disqualification which is too bad because I think she is very talented. But you have to follow directions on the task.

Laura

"That's skanky," said the guest judge sporting crescent moon cut-outs on her boobs when talking about the little chain at the back of Michelle's dress. Seriously? ha ha ha

Zanna's looks are every bit as bad and Alyssa's IMHO. It makes you wonder what is going on.

I loved Sanjia's dress. And Dmitry's was very nice, too. But, frankly, Michelle's looked most like what someone would really wear on the red carpet -- minus that "skanky" chain.

Glad Helen is staying instead of Michelle. I rather appreciated her being upset about tearing up someone else's creations. Of course her outfit was better, too.

"That's skanky," said the guest judge sporting crescent moon cut-outs on her boobs when talking about the little chain at the back of Michelle's dress. Seriously? ha ha ha

Zanna's looks are every bit as bad and Alyssa's IMHO. It makes you wonder what is going on.

I loved Sanjia's dress. And Dmitry's was very nice, too. But, frankly, Michelle's looked most like what someone would really wear on the red carpet -- minus that "skanky" chain.

Glad Helen is staying instead of Michelle. I rather appreciated her being upset about tearing up someone else's creations. Of course her outfit was better, too.

I agree about Zanna's clothing.... it is just less obvious on her because she isn't pregnant or standing on the runway without tables and mannequins to take away from it as poor Alyssa is.

I too appreciated Helen's sensitivity about cutting up the designers' looks. I thought it was kind of sweet, actually.... but I am a bit of a sap :o

I sat at my computer for 5 minutes trying to think of what to write, but I finally realized I am too bored with the show to have any opinion on this red carpet episode. But I enjoyed reading all your comments just the same!

I have to agree with you. They have dragged this season out so long (started in late October and was off for almost a month over the holidays), I have a hard time remembering who is still "in".:D. It's kind of sad that Alyssa's wardrobe is more interesting than the designs.

I think Alyssa looked better than she has all season. I liked Zanna's jumpsuit and thought it was one of her better looks (although a little accessorizing wouldn't have hurt) of the season.

I liked most of the designs in the collections. Sonjia's red lace was one of my favorites (although I would have liked a little more lining). I thought Helen's jacket and pantsuit were beautiful and would look lovely on a cruise.

My least favorite look of the night --- that horrid camo suit on Isaac!

I can't say I am upset that the season is over. Couldn't find when the next PR season starts. The next MB fashion week is not until September (one in progress now) so I guess the season won't start until summer.

Well, ladies, it seems it is time to say good bye for a while. In spite of the horrendously over-the-top, headache-inducing stage entertainment, the finale runway show was, IMO, a snooze. I am glad Dmitry won, as I feel vindicated that his classic, feminine, well-crafted style is one the judges put their final stamp of approval on. Through much of the season I feared he was too "ladylike" to be given the ultimate nod of approval. I pretty much always liked Dmitry's designs (some exceptions, of course) but I also figured because I liked them, they couldn't be forward-thinking enough to suit the judges -- after all, throughout the entire season, I --as well as a lot of you -- had roundly criticized the judges' choices of own their personal attire, which meant I (and you) questioned their taste. Seems, in spite of it all, we have a convergence. And, of course, Alyssa has her baby! :) All's well that ends well!

I liked Sonjia's the best. It was more my style. I liked Dimitry's next, but it was just a bit to plain for my tastes. His graphic pieces looked great on the models, but I think you would lose some of the pizazz on women short like me.

I likes a couple of Helen's pieces, but that's about it.

I thought that many items in all three collections were wearable for today's wonan.

Sonja designed with herself as her client. Helen's lace black and white dress was lovely, and I would wear it.

Dimitri"s clothes were beautifully styled, and I loved his white suit, as well as the black & white outfit which opened his showing.

Lordy, Lordy, has Isaac lost his mind? :eek: That camo suit was bad fashion and bad taste -- on several levels.

Honestly if I were one of the designers being critiqued by Isaac I would have a very hard time keeping my mouth shut about the suit.... any criticism coming from him would seem hypocritical at best.

It wasn't easy deciding which collection I liked best.....they all had some designs I liked and others not so much. I would have liked to see Sonjia win since Dmitry won his season already and the two were pretty equal in their presentations.

Oh well, now we wait a few months for the next season of PR.