Project Runway?

BlueHerons

I have been expecting the aufed designer to go home for quite some time although I don't think tonight's design was the worst on the runway.

Not really much of a surprise as to the winner as some of the judges had issues with the other top two.

Loved the fabric Kelley used for her jacket.

Well, the old adage proved true again tonight: it's better to send something absolutely terrible down the runway than to bore the judges. :p

As for me, I'd have been okay if they sent both of the bottom two home...

None of the outfits really wowed me, but I agree the winner's was very well done.

So this was another episode where Tim Gunn approved of a design during consultation that turned out to be the loser. Also, he was a bit of a downer this week, calling everyone together to remind them that someone is going to go home. (Although I still say there will be a week soon where no one goes home on account of the unexpected withdrawal last week.)

I liked Candice's winning design. Leather well-constructed always does well, and I liked the pattern she accented it with - plus going black for this theme was daring.

I thought Laurie's design was the worst this week. Even Tinkerbell needs to wear a bra - maybe especially Tinkerbell! :eek:

I thought Edmonds was really good as well. I think Kelly is becoming a very good designer.

I am late getting back to this ever-interesting discussion forum for a series I find most intriguing. This series makes me wish I had drawing skills enough to be able to represent on paper what I think I would design if I were presented with each week's (day's) challenge, and enough knowledge of fabric manipulation and garment construction to be able to design something actually feasible to create. I don't wish I could actually create the garments I would design; just to represent them would be enough for me, as I would have no use at all for much of anything I might create based on PR challenges.

I thought it was very interesting that this past week's challenge allowed everyone to design whatever they wanted. I thought the finished garments showed that that was too much freedom for most of these designers. Most of the work seemed unimaginative and sloppy. I guess the musical was supposed to have inspired the designs, but apparently everyone's design esthetic did not correspond to that inspiration, or a lot of these designers don't know what their design esthetic really is. I thought this week's results mostly were pretty bad -- several were much, much worse than we should have seen at this stage of the competition.

It was Ashley who stated that she felt lost by being given so much freedom -- she said she was overwhelmed by the many ideas she had, and she certainly failed at choosing a look that she could successfully create. And I was astonished to hear her say her grandmother was her inspiration, when she created a pretty "mumsy" look, ultimately. I don't think I would have let the word "grandmother" come out of my mouth in discussing that look...too referential...and maybe a little insulting to grandma if this is the result of her inspiration?

I get creeped out every time Zac Posen starts pawing at the models. As my Mom would say, "Look with your eyes, not with your hands."

I rather liked all the outfits except for the bottom three. I was surprised at who went home, however. Poor Laurie had a total disaster. Even the way she trimmed the top edge of her tube top was wrong.

I couldn't quite figure out Candice's outfit. Was the jacket attached to the bustier? I totally liked it, tho. My little (poorly drawn) sketchbook strives to take really way-back fashion (Middle Ages, Rennaisance, and older) into the 21st century (she modernized 18th C.). Anyone want a motorcycle jacket with slashed sleeves? ha ha

I had no issue with the designer sent home although I could have gone along with any of the least favorites.

The winner's design was nice but not too unique. I think I would have given the win to the other designer in the top two.

Can't remember ever seeing the judges so divided.

Can't remember ever seeing the judges so divided.

I can't either. This week, more than any other though...there seemed to be a couple of things to debate. The appeal of the outfit for the designer, versus the appeal for sales on Just Fab. This week...I think that marketability won...and possibly profit. I can only imagine how cheap the winner would be to produce, so higher profit margin there v. the runner up with more complexity and thus, maybe not as much profit?

Scrapnana and Anita, thanks for being spoiler alert aware!

So there are six designers left, and five more shows this season. I applaud the judges for sending people home, but something has got to give next week.

So, if you enjoy trivial pursuits, how many accessory wall sponsors can you name from prior seasons? :cool:

So we meet again, Mr White.

I'll throw out the first one. In Season 3, when I started, it was Macys. And back then Tim always said to use the accessory wall "wisely, which later changed to "thoughtfully."

Haven't watched last night's show yet, but I agree that they must go 1 or 2 weeks - depending on whether 3 or 4 go to Fashion Week - without sending someone home.

Although I agreed with the bottom looks, I'm sort of surprised that this week wasn't the week no one went home, given how divided the judges were. Would have been the perfect week for it.

We also still have the Tim Gunn save, don't we? Or are we beyond that time?

We haven't had a "design your own fabric" challenge yet, have we? I love those. It turned me on to Spoonflower where I have about 300 designs, now, some that I've actually sold! (okay, I won't get rich on it - profit margin is almost nil, but it gives me a creative outlet)

Edited by srlafleur

So, if you enjoy trivial pursuits, how many accessory wall sponsors can you name from prior seasons? :cool:

I won't spoil the game by searching for the answer!

I don't recall when but I think Piperlime was a wall sponsor. They aren't in business any longer...Gap closed them down.

Wasn't QVC a sponsor once? Or was that for All Stars? Not sure on that one.

Scrapnana and Anita, thanks for being spoiler alert aware!

So there are six designers left, and five more shows this season. I applaud the judges for sending people home, but something has got to give next week.

Doesn't it work out?

1. get to 5 designers

2. get to 4 designers (finalists)

3. Tim visits them

4. mini runway show to narrow to 3 designers

5. final runway

If they go with three finalists, there's just another regular elimination and no mini runway. Still works out. Or am I missing something?

The judges were all over the place because they were using different criteria -- some thinking retail some thinking runway. Thank goodness the guest judge from Just Fab got them in line. She was a really strong voice. Good for her.

I'm predicting final three as Ashley, Candice and Edmond (which means it won't be them given my record). If 4, I would like it to be Kelly but you can make a case for/against any of them.

I'm predicting final three as Ashley, Candice and Edmond (which means it won't be them given my record).

Those are my top three as well. If they go with four, it could be anyone although they seem to be losing patience with Swapnil.

srlafleur, show me your designs!

You can check them out at http://www.spoonflower.com. Search for designer mammajamma. There are, right now, a bunch that aren't yet for sale, since I have yet to place an order to proof them. It's very eclectic. I guess that represents the chaos that is my brain! I don't have one POV, I have too many!

:)

Wow!

These are wonderful!

My first thought, though, was that the repeatable patterns would look great as backgrounds on a web page. The kids faces would look great on a pre-school site, for example - or kids stripes. Lobsterz for a restaurant. And so on. There are a few spider webs and skulls patterns which are perfect for the season. And I also like the quirky ones, like the dinosaurs and chevrons, and rooster pop!

I guess you're partial to horses since there are a lot of those.

Kind of a coincidence to see that you're from Springfield, MA, in that I was just talking to a friend about how we used to watch the Springfield Indians (hockey team, now defunct) play at the Big E in West Springfield.

Anyway, if those are designs that come from chaos, you should embrace that chaos, because they really are wonderful!

Thanks! So nice to hear such positive feedback!

ps. I like horses, but the reason there are so many is that I had a request for many colors and sizes of the same design, and then the person who made the request never purchased it! :( Kind of a bummer.

We have the Springfield Falcons now, playing in the Mass Mutual Center.

The writing had been on the wall for Swapnil for several weeks. It wouldn't have bothered me to have seen him sent home earlier. Even though the last two eliminated were the worst for THAT challenge, at least they were trying unlike Swapnil who didn't seem to give a darn.

Swapnil had very complicated pieces early on (remember that crazy bra the judges liked so much?). Then he started "trying" and things went backwards. Did he run out of ideas? Get too up tight? It seemed pretty clear the other designers thought he had talent.

I also think he drew the short straw with his client/model. All the others were into their make over. She obviously wasn't. Even her hair and make up were barely changed. It was a match made in TV heaven but real-life hell.

I'm not surprised, but sad to see him go. If nothing else, those eyes......

Did he say camel toe and then bu11 s### twice and then drop an F bomb?:eek: He is majorly po-ed with Swapnil.

Right now, he is not thrilled with anyone.

Swapnil started out so strong. I thought that he woud definitely be in the finals. For the past few weeks, he's gone down hill, unable to reverse himself.

He just seemed to run out of steam.