Project Runway?

BlueHerons

OMG...I've NEVER seen Tim's words have to be *****ed out before!! SO shocking! Not surprised at all by the results of the show.

I was very disappointed that when Tim when he came back in the workroom to explain himself and "encourage" the designers, he did not also apologize for his foul language. I do not have too much of an issue with someone flying off the handle once in a while and losing his composure (which Tim seems to have a lot of, BTW), but I lost a good deal of respect for him when he did not apologize. He has gotten "overheated" before and always made it right, and I have always admired him for acting honorably in that way. Major let-down, as Tim is one of the bright spots of the show for me.

I got the impression that Swapnil has been told all his life that he is gifted -- which he is, IMO -- and success has always come pretty much effortlessly to him. On PR he was never a hard worker -- he was always out on a smoke break. He may have great ideas, but I think he has perhaps never failed before -- failed to have things just "work out" for him -- so he still has not learned that his success may take more effort than he has ever needed to put in before. I think he may just be a spoiled first or only son of fond parents; I'm guessing an over-fond mother... Even in Mumbai (and maybe especially so), handsome, talented sons may automatically "succeed" without needing to try very hard.

My "analysis" could be way off -- I don't really know anything about him -- this is just my impression.

I think he did not hug Tim when he left because he was embarrassed -- not because he really had anything against Tim. And I think Tim may have let Swapnil take the lead on how he chose to leave. If Swapnil had reached out to Tim, I bet Tim would have reciprocated and "made up," so to speak. Again, big-time amateur psychologist here... :o

Swapnil started out so strong. I thought that he woud definitely be in the finals. For the past few weeks, he's gone down hill, unable to reverse himself.

He just seemed to run out of steam.

Last week, I think Swapnil would have been more successful if his garment was finished nicely, even if the design was a fail. And I don't think he did himself any favors with the color he ended up using, either. Tough to make pastels look any sort of sophisticated, particularly in a modest dress.

I think the same of Ashley's dress. Different color/print = different reception. "Easter egg" really isn't a good look.

Yes, I'll miss Swapnil's eyes, but not his lackadaisical attitude.

This week, it really could have been anyone since avant garde is pretty much in the eyes of the beholder.

Edited by srlafleur

I haven't watched last night's yet - waiting for my wife to get home. (iheartbda has me worried about Ashley!) So instead, I started reading the beginning of this very thread. It starts way back in Season 2, and is a wonderful historical document of the show.

I saw some of Seasons 1 and 2 in repeats, so much of what was written here is familiar to me. From reading about it today, I searched for this famous encounter on YouTube:

[YOUTUBE]FzUH6wjU46A[/YOUTUBE]

:D

LOVE IT!

Now about last night...... (spoilers ahead)

IMO, Kelly is the only one who went avant garde. So there you go.

Also, it's rather weird to say: Go avant garde but be inspired by this particular bridge and use 3-D created pieces (especially when you have little/no knowledge of just how that last works). Gee, talk about restrictions on using your creativity/imagination!

As to Merline's dress. Last season wasn't the first time that skirt shape has been used. I know for sure I've seen it once before way-way back. Maybe more than that.

Ashley's looked like it would have been great for a Marvel/DC super hero. tee hee

But the results seemed inevitable.

How can you have a bridge inspiration and 3d printer avant garde contest without also incorporating space hamsters and a food component?

That said, while avant garde, I thought the winning entry was also goofy, and its gumby-ish legs did not walk well down the runway.

Three of the other models were smokin' hot - especially Ashley's once she removed the cape. (Candice's and Edmund's were also very sexy.) And Meriline's dress, while not all that avant garde, was pretty, and her appliques of the 3d printer material looked the most seamless to me.

=======

Did anyone else notice the 3d printing expert's nose-bridge piercing? (How could you not?) I just know that I'm going to have nightmares about that tonight. Not feeling groovy.

HA HA HA!!! Gumby legs. There's your food component (he was made of gum, right?).

I haven't watched last night's yet - waiting for my wife to get home. (iheartbda has me worried about Ashley!) So instead, I started reading the beginning of this very thread. It starts way back in Season 2, and is a wonderful historical document of the show.

I saw some of Seasons 1 and 2 in repeats, so much of what was written here is familiar to me. From reading about it today, I searched for this famous encounter on YouTube:

[YOUTUBE]FzUH6wjU46A[/YOUTUBE]

How young Tim looked back then.

FzUH6wjU46A

I remember that incident -- Tim was verklemmt!

Watched the two episodes I missed while cruising. Totally agree with the judges sending Swapnil home a week ago. I liked all of this weeks' outfits which proves that none were extremely avant-garde because I don't care for the outlandish. I was expecting Tim to use his save on Merline until I heard the comment about her sewing skills.

I was surprised that, IMO, nobody did anything even bordering on avant-garde in this challenge -- well, all right, Kelly's bordered on it! :rolleyes: Even I (who am anything but a clothing designer) had some crazy, bridge-inspired design ideas spinning around in my head that were way more out of the box than anything on the runway. There was even one designer (don't remember which, but I think Edmond?) who commented about trying to make his dress "wearable." Wonder what made him think his garment should be wearable? Avant-garde is the opposite of "wearable," right? It certainly seems to have been in other seasons! Oh, well, missed opportunity, I think.

And I was dumbfounded that Ashley's look was so well-received! It was sexy, yes -- at least the pants and top were, and that always rings Heidi's bell. But it seemed pretty obvious that the judges thought the inner and outer parts of the outfit did not go together. One judge loved the cape, another thought it was strange... (but even the strangeness of it didn't make it "avant-garde," IMO. To me it red boudoir, except for the white plastic "bones." ) I think Ashley got away with her outfit this time only thanks to Merline. I am glad that Ashley is still going, as I really feel she has potential to create more than she's done so far, if she could just settle down and think clearly. But on the other hand, I am not sure Ashley hasn't already tapped out her talent. Maybe it's not just working through her personal issues that is keeping her from reaching her potential -- maybe she's already shown all she can do. I am curious to see, as I like her as a personality. Really, I like all of them -- Merline got a little exhausting bouncing off the walls, but still, I liked her.

I was surprised that, IMO, nobody did anything even bordering on avant-garde in this challenge -- well, all right, Kelly's bordered on it! :rolleyes: Even I (who am anything but a clothing designer) had some crazy, bridge-inspired design ideas spinning around in my head that were way more out of the box than anything on the runway. There was even one designer (don't remember which, but I think Edmond?) who commented about trying to make his dress "wearable." Wonder what made him think his garment should be wearable? Avant-garde is the opposite of "wearable," right? It certainly seems to have been in other seasons! Oh, well, missed opportunity, I think.

And I was dumbfounded that Ashley's look was so well-received! It was sexy, yes -- at least the pants and top were, and that always rings Heidi's bell. But it seemed pretty obvious that the judges thought the inner and outer parts of the outfit did not go together. One judge loved the cape, another thought it was strange... (but even the strangeness of it didn't make it "avant-garde," IMO. To me it red boudoir, except for the white plastic "bones." ) I think Ashley got away with her outfit this time only thanks to Merline. I am glad that Ashley is still going, as I really feel she has potential to create more than she's done so far, if she could just settle down and think clearly. But on the other hand, I am not sure Ashley hasn't already tapped out her talent. Maybe it's not just working through her personal issues that is keeping her from reaching her potential -- maybe she's already shown all she can do. I am curious to see, as I like her as a personality. Really, I like all of them -- Merline got a little exhausting bouncing off the walls, but still, I liked her.

I thought for sure Tim was going to use his save!

I think sometimes the designers get mixed messages from the judges. They say, "looks like a hooker, then they say "too matronly" or "too junior" on their next attempt. They say "avant garde", then call them on the "wearability" of it. Usually in a real runway show, the avant garde is something no one in their right mind would really wear (Lady Gaga, maybe), but then the look is interpreted into something more wearable in the real world. I think the designers basically presented the toned-down versions of what should have been their over-the-top looks.

I, too, am surprised the Tim Gunn save wasn't used for Merline.

My memory may be hazy, but doesn't Tim Gunn usually use his save earlier in the game than this (if he uses it at all)? I think that everyone at this point has already proven that they're still there for good reason, and using it now might possibly be perceived as a slap in the face to the other four remaining designers. (That's just my opinion.)

I do think that Ashley gets in trouble when she isn't given very specific parameters. My guess is that she doesn't get to fashion week because it might be hard for her to come up with a whole collection on her own. (Again, just my opinion.)

Edited by elycelynne

"So unfair of Heidi to be fair :-(. "

I know! Since when is Heidi fair??? Hopefully Tim will bring him back next episode....

Hmm... Maybe that statement harks back to Gordana in Season 6. Hands down she had the best outfit on the runway (a gorgeous gown inspired by a Monet cathedral painting) the week she was sent home. They didn't declare a winner that week, just sent her home. There was a huge backlash. She'd had two duds (things that she had to do to fit goofy parameters -- not alternative materials) but the rest was really good and looked like a collection already. I remember Curt Wild posting her looks together somewhere on this thread. It was obvious all season that Heidi just didn't like her.

So, being fair. Or not.

And, it's obvious that the regular judges like Ashley. I do, too. Reading between the edits, I think she has been socially cut out by the girls, who dominated. People discriminate/judge based on appearance. It hurts. That gives her something else to contend with.

I predict a Tim Gunn save at the start of the next episode. And, then one designer will be eliminated in a mini runway pre-runway competition.

If I were producing, that's what I would have done. ha ha

BTW, did anyone think it was weird Heidi proclaimed Candice "in" before naming the winner? Could that have been a screw up on her part? One rather hard to fix?

I predict a Tim Gunn save at the start of the next episode. And, then one designer will be eliminated in a mini runway pre-runway competition.

I certainly hope you are right. They did not say anything about it being too late for a Tim Gunn save. It seems to me a season or two ago, he brought back a designer the next day after the runway.

"BTW, did anyone think it was weird Heidi proclaimed Candice "in" before naming the winner? Could that have been a screw up on her part? One rather hard to fix"

I know that was so strange!

On most of the episodes, the winner is announced second. Someone is congratulated for great work and sent to the sitting room, and then they announce the winner of the challenge. I suppose they think it builds suspense.

I watched the preview for the next episode very carefully. Either Edmond doesn't get the save or they did a great job of editing him out of the scenes from next week.