Project Runway?

BlueHerons

I guess I'm in the minority for liking (most of) Ashley's collection.

I lived through the disco era and hated it then and now. I like Kelly, just not her style.

Candice's were too edgy for my taste and it seems to me that leather needs to fit the body like skin.

Edmund's designs were so feminine. With the exception of the toilet paper dress!

No way am I going to watch PRjr! Even fast forwarding through, I could tell those kids were going to annoy me! :)

I guess I'm in the minority for liking (most of) Ashley's collection.

I lived through the disco era and hated it then and now. I like Kelly, just not her style.

Candice's were too edgy for my taste and it seems to me that leather needs to fit the body like skin.

Edmund's designs were so feminine. With the exception of the toilet paper dress!

No way am I going to watch PRjr! Even fast forwarding through, I could tell those kids were going to annoy me! :)

I liked Ashleys collection as well. I was disappointed I didn't get to see Candices wooden skirt! I thought her collection was amazing before she dumbed it down for the judges

I liked Ashleys collection as well. I was disappointed I didn't get to see Candices wooden skirt! I thought her collection was amazing before she dumbed it down for the judges

Yes, I was looking forward to seeing that too.

As for Ashley's collection, I don't know if it was the clothes or the models that I enjoyed more. They seemed joyful! I loved the colors and the styling of the hair and makeup. So beautiful and sexy.... plus or not.

Why do high fashion models have to look like such zombies on the runway? I know that the purpose of the runway is for the clothes to be the star, but can't the models at least look like they enjoy wearing them? :confused:

As for Ashley's collection, I don't know if it was the clothes or the models that I enjoyed more. They seemed joyful! I loved the colors and the styling of the hair and makeup. So beautiful and sexy.... plus or not.

Why do high fashion models have to look like such zombies on the runway? I know that the purpose of the runway is for the clothes to be the star, but can't the models at least look like they enjoy wearing them? :confused:

Her models actually looked happy!

Oh, no - you should watch it! It will be very enlightening, and may explain more about this season than previous reunion shows did about their seasons.

Plus, Meow.

Then, I just saw this article:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/11/03/project-runway-tim-gunn-hated-season-14

Note the last paragraph about the judges.

Final note from me regarding the decoy collections from Scrapnan's link above:

http://allprojectrunway.blogspot.com/2015/09/collection-one-spring-2016.html

Swapnil's collection is exceptionally beautiful!

http://allprojectrunway.blogspot.com/2015/09/collection-two-spring-2016.html

Meriline's is pretty and looks well made, but kind of blah and one-note for a finale. But both of those decoys benefited from not having the judges critique them.

I think Swapnil may have been the most talented but also the most lazy of the contestants! His collection is prettier than the actual 4!

Edited by boopsahoy

I liked Swapnil's collection as well. Merline's looks were pretty much blah.

Candice and Edmond did not benefit from last week's critiques. I did like the dress Candice cut down from her Gone With the Wind hoop-skirted dress. It would be a beautiful red carpet look.

I really thought they were going to give the win to Kelly. I agree with caviargal that her looks were very junior and not expensive looking. (Please tell me fanny backs are not making a comeback!)

I think Ashley's clothes would appeal to plus-sized 20s and 30s. For too long plus sized young ladies only had clothing suitable for their grandmothers. I do wonder about the article that stated the audience gave Ashley's collection the best reception. Maybe this influenced the judges and made them think it was time for a plus-sized designer to win (and maybe that is why they didn't show that on the finale).

Not sure if I am going to watch the recap show.

Too many PR Junior promos turned me off that (I had considered watching it before last night's show).

Edited by Scrapnana

Me, too.

I've been wondering about Nina's comment regarding talking to Ashley about being in "Marie Clare." I have a hard time imagining that fashion magazine using plus size models. Especially since most of their models are closer to zero size. Think they'll take the clothes but down-size them? Make it more of an editorial piece rather than a fashion spread?

I agree with those who posted that Edmund and Candice should not have knuckled under to the judges' critiques of their sample collections. (I'm not saying they should not have made some slight changes.) Candice herself said she should not have let the judges "water her down." Even if she were to have lost anyway, wouldn't she want to have lost for something she was proud of and that truly represented her and her design esthetic? However sad or disappointed she or Edmund might be for not having won, at least they would not have any regrets! I would think it would be the regrets that would plague the losers -- they would plague me, if I had been in their shoes!! And, yes, we never did get to see Candice's wooden skirt! I really wanted to see that on a model. And that spectacular red and black lace gown she showed Tim at her studio -- that was altered into the "prom/bridesmaid" dress that walked the runway, right?

I guess it was the draw of the money (the prize package) or maybe the cachet of actually winning that caused them to betray their own viewpoints -- too bad. I did not expect this of Candice, especially, as I felt she was particularly clear and confident in her own design persona. Edmund seemed a little less confident, however enthusiastic (and grateful) he was.

I am glad Ashley won, if for no other reason than the fact that she represented an untapped market. And that she decidedly put to shame the many PR designers through the seasons who have bitched (:eek: pardon my French) about having to design for clients with non-model bodies, and who created so many hideously unflattering and mumsy designs for these clients. Did I think her clothes were spectacular? No. Did I think they were pretty, and wearable for women of all shapes? Yes, for the most part, except for her shorts, which were IMO very unflattering. And the crotch of her jumpsuit was an outrage -- but it was mostly hidden by the jacket, so may have gone by mostly unnoticed. I have never agreed 100% with the judges' idea that designers should have to also be fabulous dressmakers/tailors, anyway. Successful designers hire people to make their clothes, right? But maybe there's that in-between place in fashion where designers are still making the clothes themselves, and therefore have to make them really well, in order to become successful enough to hire someone to sew for them. And there is, of course, the necessity of knowing whether what you design is even possible to create! So the fact that Ashley's clothes were ill-fitting did not bother me too much, nor apparently did it bother the judges enough to keep them from giving her the win -- even with Zach commenting on both her tailoring and the fact that she glued the flowers on her (really unflattering) finale look. Glue? At New York Fashion Week?? Really???

A theme that has persisted for as many seasons as I have been watching PR is that the judges value something they have never seen before. Ashley's designs did not really represent that, but her goal of creating designer clothing for real-sized women apparently did, so I think that clinched it for Ashley -- that and the relatively poor showing the competition made, IMO. And now that I have learned that Ashley's runway show received such tremendous applause, I have to wonder whether how her designs were received by the Fashion Week audience did not influence the PR judges to give her the win. Maybe how the designers' shows are received at Fashion Week always influences the choice of winner...?

Wish Swapnil hadn't been such a slacker on the show -- his runway collection looked beautiful!! IMO, he could easily had beaten out any of the finalists. (I didn't love Merline's collection.)

Me, too.

I've been wondering about Nina's comment regarding talking to Ashley about being in "Marie Clare." I have a hard time imagining that fashion magazine using plus size models. Especially since most of their models are closer to zero size. Think they'll take the clothes but down-size them? Make it more of an editorial piece rather than a fashion spread?

Ooh, they'd better not -- a Marie Claire "fashion spread" is part of the PR prize. What did Nina say? I must have missed it...

If Ashley won because she had a plus-size collection and Marie Claire denigrates that in some way, I would think there would be fireworks! (and lawsuits...:eek:)

I used to get SO annoyed at catalogs of plus-size clothing that only showed the garments on model-size women! How could a customer know how the garment might look on her?? I think many plus-size catalogs now use plus size models, no? Progress!

I was trying to think of the famous plus sized model that looked so beautiful in magazines. It was Emmie I think. I tried googling plus sized models....:eek: Don't do it! The key with the models that Ashley used is that they were still very proportionally hour glass shaped. Now, if someone could only make pretty clothes for us apple shaped women, we'd be in luck! :cool:

I was trying to think of the famous plus sized model that looked so beautiful in magazines. It was Emmie I think. I tried googling plus sized models....:eek: Don't do it! The key with the models that Ashley used is that they were still very proportionally hour glass shaped. Now, if someone could only make pretty clothes for us apple shaped women, we'd be in luck! :cool:

And for petite women! I'm <5', so seeing clothing displayed and modeled on 6', size 00 women doesn't give me anything like a realistic vision of how it will look on a shorty like me. And it sure seems that most petite clothing is as matronly as plus size is wont to be, too. It's disheartening to stand next to a rack of skirts or pants and have them brushing the floor whilst the waists are at my shoulder. You know that interesting detail at the bottom of the skirt, the flair at the bottom of the pants, the slit in the dress...they'll be long gone once the alterations are complete.

Newsflash, designers and clothing manufacturers: 5'8" is NOT petite!

I think one of the reasons that Ashley's collection was warmly received by the audience is because her models looked happy. The clothes looked happy. I don't know if it was the way they were told to present themselves, but all the other models looked mostly miserable. Maybe they were just hungry.:rolleyes:

I think one of the reasons that Ashley's collection was warmly received by the audience is because her models looked happy. The clothes looked happy. I don't know if it was the way they were told to present themselves, but all the other models looked mostly miserable. Maybe they were just hungry.:rolleyes:

The other models did look like they were miserable. Maybe somebody stole their last lettuce leaf!:eek:

Ooh, they'd better not -- a Marie Claire "fashion spread" is part of the PR prize. What did Nina say? I must have missed it...

If Ashley won because she had a plus-size collection and Marie Claire denigrates that in some way, I would think there would be fireworks! (and lawsuits...:eek:)

I might actually have to buy a copy of Marie Claire to see how they handle the plus-sized issue.

I might actually have to buy a copy of Marie Claire to see how they handle the plus-sized issue.

I think size 12 is considered plus size in the modelling world. :rolleyes:

My biggest complaint with larger sizes is that they make the whole thing bigger, not just the body. Before menopause I wore a 12. After I gained to 16, but my arms DID NOT grow 6" longer!!!! :rolleyes: srlafleur must really get frustrated with lengths. My sister, on the other hand is 5'11" and long sleeves always end up 3/4 length sleeves. She can never find pants long enough.

I think size 12 is considered plus size in the modelling world. :rolleyes:

My biggest complaint with larger sizes is that they make the whole thing bigger, not just the body. Before menopause I wore a 12. After I gained to 16, but my arms DID NOT grow 6" longer!!!! :rolleyes:

What gripes me is the size of the armholes in plus size outfits. They're big enough for my ample thighs! I would still wear sleeveless tops but those huge openings reveal pretty much the whole side of my bra if my arms aren't plastered to my side.

I don't think clothes are actually designed for plus size, they just blow up the regular patterns in all directions, ergo too long sleeves, huge armholes, etc.

What Nina said (and I think this is almost word-for-word) to Ashley: "I'll be talking to you soon about your spread in Marie Claire."

Could be taken at face value. I'm just so cynical.

Don't wear plus sizes, but I have noticed the type of things you are talking about in terms of proportions between sizes in the Misses size range. Often Larges, for example, which otherwise fit me pretty, well are often way too long for me, whereas the length in Medium is usually fine, but the garment may be tight. So to get proper fit in "width" so to speak, I have to suffer with extra length. This is why I end up frequently shortening the hems of blouses and tops, and often the shoulders and sleeve length. Happily I have the tailoring skills to do this -- I feel for women who don't, as they usually just end up having to settle for ill-fitting clothing.

The garment industry needs to bring back "half sizes." Remember them? They were effectively petite women's sizes. My mother, who was not tall (maybe 5'4"?) and had a full figure -- the very typical mature woman's figure -- wore a 22 1/2 dress size. If she had to wear Women's sizes today, she would have sleeves dragging down by her knees and hems pooling around her ankles! Does anybody make clothing in a "Women's Petite" size range today?

Of course, there is always going to be someone whose body does not fit well into any specific size. :mad: The only choice one has in that circumstance, I suppose, is having clothing custom made! Like most women are going to do that! :rolleyes: That is why it is so infuriating to me when PR designers do such a bad job of creating custom garments for their "real" clients! Errggg!!!

Don't wear plus sizes, but I have noticed the type of things you are talking about in terms of proportions between sizes in the Misses size range. Often Larges, for example, which otherwise fit me pretty, well are often way too long for me, whereas the length in Medium is usually fine, but the garment may be tight. So to get proper fit in "width" so to speak, I have to suffer with extra length. This is why I end up frequently shortening the hems of blouses and tops, and often the shoulders and sleeve length. Happily I have the tailoring skills to do this -- I feel for women who don't, as they usually just end up having to settle for ill-fitting clothing.

The garment industry needs to bring back "half sizes." Remember them? They were effectively petite women's sizes. My mother, who was not tall (maybe 5'4"?) and had a full figure -- the very typical mature woman's figure -- wore a 22 1/2 dress size. If she had to wear Women's sizes today, she would have sleeves dragging down by her knees and hems pooling around her ankles! Does anybody make clothing in a "Women's Petite" size range today?

Of course, there is always going to be someone whose body does not fit well into any specific size. :mad: The only choice one has in that circumstance, I suppose, is having clothing custom made! Like most women are going to do that! :rolleyes: That is why it is so infuriating to me when PR designers do such a bad job of creating custom garments for their "real" clients! Errggg!!!

Catherine's plus size stores carry some petite clothes. A number of manufacturer's make petite plus size pants (thank goodness).

The sleeve length is a major issue. I was so pleased when 3/4 length sleeves became popular as I have very short arms and I don't care for the sleeve over the hand look.

I guess I'll be the dissenter here. I thought, for the most part, Ashey's clothes were horrible. They did not fit well and they looked poorly made and cheap. I think Edmond should have won.

Totally agree. Threw were poorly designed 50's "mother of the bride" dresses and the other stuff looked like cheap junk.

Edmond has class and hopefully will be a big success with or without the harsh judges opinions.

I guess I'll be the dissenter here. I thought, for the most part, Ashey's clothes were horrible. They did not fit well and they looked poorly made and cheap. I think Edmond should have won.

Add unflattering and I completely agree. Her shorts and romper rode up in the crotch, the final periwinkle outfit I cannot imagine anyone wearing willingly. Very costume-y. And she never fixed the issues with the midriff tops. Of all the collections, hers IMO was the worst.

I would have loved to watch Candice's spectacular finale piece come down the runway. Her original showed both design innovation as well as her skills overall. The sanitized version was very ho hum. She should have ignored the judges and stuck to her guns. A shame.

Same for Edmond.

Edited by caviargal

The other models did look like they were miserable. Maybe somebody stole their last lettuce leaf!:eek:

Has to b e the funniest post.:D

Hmm...It's beginning to sound like we need Heidi Klum on this board to quell controversy and tell us all what opinion to have! ;)

Don't know why she thinks she's much of an expert on clothes/fashion, other than having been a model.

I have to say that, as a whole IMO, this was one of the most underwhelming final runway shows of all the seasons, even with the two decoys. Did not like Merline's with all her flaps that looked like long adult bibs. Even though Swapnils sequins and glitz was done more elegantly than Kelly's, it was still too much for me. It's such a shame that Edmond and Candice did not follow their hearts and remain true to themselves.

If there was hearty applause for Ashley's collection, I think it was only because it was a plus size collection which has not been seen before. There definitely is a need for better, fashionable plus size clothes than what is currently available but I don't think what she offered was it.

I read an article that Tim Gunn said he hated this season and some of his dislike was certainly evident, he was not always as kind and gentle as usual. I think Swapnil frustrated him to no end.

Thought I might watch the kids show but if the girl with purple hair is on, don't know if I can take another one since Kelly Osborne also has purple hair.