Project Runway?

BlueHerons

I have purple hair...:o

My DIL just went minty green with hers. It looks fabulous.

BTW, she's planning on applying for the next season. Her forte is cosplay (won 2nd for her female Captain America and 1st for workmanship on some anime character I've never heard of -- two different conventions), but she did make a five piece collection for a fashion competition here.

I know she has both the sewing and design skills, but am not sure she can handle the slap-dash way they put things together on this show. When I told her not to bother with Hong Kong seams on something she is making for me to wear around the house she was shocked, and refused.

Edited by SeaBunny

Has to b e the funniest post.:D

Don't know why she thinks she's much of an expert on clothes/fashion, other than having been a model.

I, too, have wondered why it is that models, in particular, and even actresses, are thought to have expertise in fashion -- except if they have paid attention to what their stylists have put on them, and how their outfits have been received by the fashion media, which I guess they would only know if they read fashion blogs, watch "Fashion Police," etc., or look for photos of themselves in fashion magazines. I am not sure all models and actresses who are "dressed" by others pay attention.

I remember an episode of What Not to Wear years ago in which the "contributor" had been a model in her twenties. Clinton Kelly was ga-ga over her, and both he and Stacy were shocked that she was such a sloppy dresser in her forties. She said that when she was a model, it took a team of assistants to get her to look fabulous -- she did not do it herself. That was a revelation to me. (Of course, WNTW never represented runway fashion, but the point was still made.)

I think models and actresses are the "fronts" for designers-- kind of like their "billboards." The women who wear the clothes represent the people who designed them. Really, though, at least the guest judges on PR should probably be the stylists who choose the looks the models and actresses wear. But most of them aren't famous enough to attract audience attention, I suppose.

It is true that Heidi, like other very successful models and actresses, has developed her own label(s). But lingerie and athletic wear? These aren't exactly runway-oriented lines. And developing a fashion label doesn't necessarily require (or even involve) actually designing, or perhaps even approving the designs for, the clothes -- it may simply be that the celebrity lends the cachet of his or her name to the line. And what is with Zach Posen as a Project Runway judge? -- he is in charge of Brooks Brothers Women -- about as sober and un-runway-oriented a fashion line as possible. (After all, how many times has PR had a "design office wear" challenge?? :rolleyes:) Yes, he has high fashion on his resume, but if he's ended up where he is, I wonder at his judgment regarding runway looks. And then there's Nina, representing Marie Claire, which to me is a teeny-bopper magazine of the first water. I suppose that readership (teens and early 20's - 30's) is where the money comes from to buy or at least to dream of buying "high fashion," so she is naturally an "influencer."

I think fashion bloggers are going to be the new resource for guest judges. They seem to be the new wave of fashion gurus, though I wonder if any of them have professional experience in the industry. I think most are/were model-wannabes...But they are very widely followed, and now, oft-quoted and featured in style magazines (e.g. Lucky, People Style Watch), in some cases seeming to completely replace the traditional "fashion expert."

For what it's worth, and whether or not you agree with Ashley's win, has anyone else been noticing a trend toward increased exposure and respect for the "plus" size range in fashion magazines? I read InStyle and People StyleWatch (used to read Lucky but couldn't stomach the amateurishness of it since they changed editors.) InStyle has had for a while now their section called "Great Style Has No Size." It is one page! Usually a maximum of three looks! Pretty sad. They definitely need to beef up that section. But InStyle also shows lots of "real" women's bodies in their spreads featuring celebrities on the runway and out and about, as celebrities come in various sizes, and designers design for all of them. At least the entire magazine is not shots of emaciated, walking-clothes-hanger models.

But this month's People StyleWatch has "plus" clothing scattered throughout the magazine -- quite a few examples, in fact, and they are included right along with the misses size range stuff -- not isolated in their own "special-needs" :eek: section. There is also a two-page spread advertising Jennifer Hudson's (new?) line for New York and Co. (tag line "It Just Fits"). I do not know if Jennifer Hudson wears (or is representing) plus sizes, but she certainly has a full, womanly body.

How many of you have gone to designer websites looking to snag a bargain on a clearance item, only to find that the largest size they sell is 8 or maybe 10? An 8 is a "Large," and a 10, "XL"!!! Whaaaat????

So I am hoping that Ashley's win, deserved or not, is representative of a trend in the fashion industry toward the realization that women have womenly bodies, and we all want access to stylish, flattering clothing. We can hope, right?

Edited by SeagoingMom

How many of you have gone to designer websites looking to snag a bargain on a clearance item, only to find that the largest size they sell is 8 or maybe 10? An 8 is a "Large," and a 10, "XL"!!! Whaaaat????

So I am hoping that Ashley's win, deserved or not, is representative of a trend in the fashion industry toward the realization that women have womenly bodies, and we all want access to stylish, flattering clothing. We can hope, right?

When I worked retail, the sizes were usually:

XL: 16-18

L: 12-14

M: 8-10

S: 4-6

XS: 0-2

Is that no longer the case? I find that still to be generally true... and some designers like Ivanka Trump are very size-friendly, allowing me to go down a number :o

I too hope this win means there is a trend toward more mainstream figures, with flattering clothes for everyone, rather than anything over a 10 fitting like a burlap bag.

Is that no longer the case? I find that still to be generally true... and some designers like Ivanka Trump are very size-friendly, allowing me to go down a number :o

I too hope this win means there is a trend toward more mainstream figures, with flattering clothes for everyone, rather than anything over a 10 fitting like a burlap bag.

Yes, the size ranges you listed are considered standard in most retail stores. However, many designers use considerably different size ranges. I went through only the first 47 of the hundreds and hundreds of designers listed alphabetically on SHOPBOP, and found 18 (38%) who use the following size scale:

2: XS, S

4: S, M

6: M

8: M, L

10: L

The designers I found include: Prabal Gurung, 3X1, 6 Shore Road by Pooja, 6397, 7 For All Mankind, A Fine Line, a.c.e., A.P.C., Ace & Jig, ADDISON, Adidas Originals by Mary Katrantzou, Adrienne Landau, AG, Alexander Wang, Alexis, Alix, Amanda Upchurch, and Amenapih.

And it gets worse: Among those first 47 designers I surveyed, at least 3 (6%) use an even narrower size scale:

0: XS

2: XS, S

4: S, M

6: M

8: M, L

These designers were: AD, Alex Perry, Alice McCall.

So if a few minutes of searching on SHOPBOP uncovers this many designers who redefine size 10, or even 8, as a "Large," you know that there are plenty more out there who do it, too. The implication of these redefinitions is that a woman who wears a standard 10, 12, or anything above that is considered "plus size," and these designers do not create clothing for her.

Of course there are many designers who use traditional sizing, and not a small number of designers/brands who use "vanity sizing:" cutting clothes larger but putting smaller number labels on them. Loft, for example, is known for this. Every woman is happy to go into Loft and find herself fitting nicely into clothes that are labelled one or more sizes smaller than she ordinarily wears! :)

Of course, the only way to tell whether designers are, for example, simply redefining a standard size 8 or 10 as "large," or employing vanity sizing -- using generous cuts to allow larger women to fit into smaller number sizes -- is to check the body measurements the designers assign to their sizes. This is something I did not do while investigating size ranges on SHOPBOP.

Edited by SeagoingMom

Whenever I shop for tops, I find that many of the styles and designs seem to end at size large, and the extra larges start to look frumpy. Why is that? Just because we're a bit busty, doesn't mean that we want dull old ladyish clothes. I want styles to continue into size XL as well.

Of course there are many designers who use traditional sizing, and not a small number of designers/brands who use "vanity sizing:" cutting clothes larger but putting smaller number labels on them. Loft, for example, is known for this. Every woman is happy to go into Loft and find herself fitting nicely into clothes that are labelled one or more sizes smaller than she ordinarily wears! :)

SHOPBOP.

Yes, in fact I find all of Anne Taylor, not just Loft, tends to run pleasingly larger...as does Ralph Lauren, Bass, Van Heusen, Michael Kors and a few others, at least in their outlet stores :o

Calvin Klein irritates me.... I love their clothes but they tend to run a full size smaller than normal :mad: I judge this based on what size I've been at different weights. Right now at 140 I am an 8 but in Calvin Klein I am a 10. When I was 170 I was a pretty steady 14 all around but again, I had to find a rare 16 in CK.

I couldn't get through the reunion show. Too much talking over each other and too many tears. I think that the producers gin up the drama, but that's what turns me off. (Plus, I was distracted by the Viking shield that Swapnil had on his ear! :eek: )

Whenever I shop for tops, I find that many of the styles and designs seem to end at size large, and the extra larges start to look frumpy. Why is that? Just because we're a bit busty, doesn't mean that we want dull old ladyish clothes. I want styles to continue into size XL as well.

That is why I hate S-M-L size labels for shirts, especially places that have multiple brands like TJMaxx. I pretty much have to try on shirts in all size sections, trying to guess by looking if it is close enough to make it worth trying on. It makes shopping take too long and I get tired of it quickly :o

I've found that the more pricey the store, the larger clothing is. I can take anything from size 2 to size 6 (don't hate, I'm only 4'11"), but when I was looking for a cute, cheap top in Forever 21, I had to size up to LARGE (and my boobage is pretty small)! Is it any wonder that young women often look like they've been stuffed into sausage casing?

Edited by srlafleur

About the Project Runway models being used as "walking clothes hangers," they certainly are. They just sit in the make-up chair, while the designers explain the looks they want the models to portray. The models express no opinion at all.

In former seasons of P.R., the winning model was given some recognition as well. I'm not sure if they still do that.

I did.

It's also not unusual on these kinds of shows to have an award for fan favorites - don't recall if they did on other Project Runways - maybe I'm thinking about Top Chef.

They have had fan favorites in the past. When Christian Siriano (my all-time favorite) was on, he won fan fave and the top prize. They've had it other years, too, but not sure if every time.

I don't know that Kelly winning the Mary Kay award was a slap at anybody. If the award was based on most wins then that was Kelly and there is no counter argument. (However, I thought Swapnil was being kind when he said something to the effect that Ashley's designs would have won even if they were not plus size.)

It's also not unusual on these kinds of shows to have an award for fan favorites - don't recall if they did on other Project Runways - maybe I'm thinking about Top Chef.

It wasn't a fan favorite award. And I doubt that Mary Kay would have given $25,000 to Edmond. :rolleyes: Given that they knew the money would go to Kelly (because she did have the most wins), they could make the award to the person they wanted to -- who was a woman.

If there had been a mention or two of the award throughout the season ("Hey designers! Remember that the one with the most wins gets $25,000 from Mary Kay!"), the award would have made more sense to me.

I've found that the more pricey the store, the larger clothing is. I can take anything from size 2 to size 6 (don't hate, I'm only 4'11"), but when I was looking for a cute, cheap top in Forever 21, I had to size up to LARGE (and my boobage is pretty small)! Is it any wonder that young women often look like they've been stuffed into sausage casing?

I have always thought that Forever 21, as the name implies, is really a store for juniors (middle school, high school, maybe college) -- the styles are faddish, not really "grown up" -- (not that grown-ups couldn't wear them) ...and their sizing reflects this. The clothes seem to be designed for the "virginal" figure -- small bust, flat belly, no hips. Maybe that explains why you and I have both experienced the sizing issue you describe.

I have always thought that Forever 21, as the name implies, is really a store for juniors (middle school, high school, maybe college) -- the styles are faddish, not really "grown up" -- (not that grown-ups couldn't wear them) ...and their sizing reflects this. The clothes seem to be designed for the "virginal" figure -- small bust, flat belly, no hips. Maybe that explains why you and I have both experienced the sizing issue you describe.

Yeah, it's definitely geared for a younger crowd, and most of the clothes I wouldn't wear, but I was looking for a cheap bling-y top to wear to a Christmas party. I have no butt or hips to speak of - seriously, I wish I had a more womanly shape so the hip-hugging pants I have to buy wouldn't fall down. My belly isn't particularly big, but my waist is thick (It could maybe be somewhat smaller, but, hey, with only about an inch betwixt hip bone and lowest rib, a tiny waist is just not in the cards). And my cup size is only B(ish) I'm pretty much straight up and down, and shorter at 4'11" than most middle-through-high-schoolers, so....size LARGE?

Also, have you seen the boobs on high-school girls these days? I blame hormones in the milk. :rolleyes:

I, too, would like to know where the past contestants have landed. I have often wondered how some of them have fared. I wonder whether winning PR necessarily spells success, or if losing it necessarily doesn't. I imagine each story is different. Each contestant, winning or losing, eliminated early or eliminated late, seems to continue to appear in ads and this kind of spin-off show, as well as either guest judges on another season of PR, or as judges in determining who is going to complete for another season. Wonder how much the designers make from all that sort of thing? Wonder how much the exposure they get for just being on the show pays off?

I watched the "Throwdown"-- mostly hated it. Tim was stiff as a board, as he was during the reunion show -- he is a good mentor on camera but terrible reading a script and MC'ing, IMO.

The fighting and arguing scenes were things I would never want to have revisited. They were awful when they happened -- why watch again? And why start the show with that horribleness?

I liked the "best look" segment, but I really wanted them to tell whose look was whose -- there's no way I could remember which designer made which one. Didn't care much for the "worst looks" segment -- they were bad then, they are bad now, OK? Let's move on.

And the 'heartwarming/heart wrenching" marriage proposal and HIV revelation scenes were simply not to my taste, neither when they originally aired nor when repeated. Though I enjoy becoming somewhat familiar with the personalities of some of the designers each season, I don't care to have that much intimacy with any of them. And I never cared for any of the scenes with weeping and blubbering.

The scene in which Nina laughed uncontrollably was, however, priceless!

I don't like it when anyone's backstory is used to garner sympathy and used to make them more worthy. How I view them as a person is separate from the competition and the resulting product. I appreciate designs which stand on their own merit.

I'm not going to buy one dress over another because of what the designer had to go through. I'm going to decide based on what looks best on me.

The scene in which Nina laughed uncontrollably was, however, priceless!

I was really hoping they'd show the episode with the female wrestler costumes, where Michael Kors couldn't stop laughing..... he'd get it together and then start all over again when the next one came out....

Just watched the throwback show. There were a number of designers that I had totally forgotten until I saw them again.

I wonder if enough designers are making a go of it to have a "where are they now" show. I have seen designs by Bert (Burt?) and Michael C. but can't remember any others.

That is why I hate S-M-L size labels for shirts, especially places that have multiple brands like TJMaxx. I pretty much have to try on shirts in all size sections, trying to guess by looking if it is close enough to make it worth trying on. It makes shopping take too long and I get tired of it quickly :o

I always try clothes on in the fitting room before purchasing. This saves me the time of returning something which doesn't fit.