Just off Star Princess - Southbound

lakegirl16

I'm not going to do a full review but wanted to share a few thoughts from our recent Alaska cruise. We're frequent cruisers but this was our first Alaska cruise. My husband says it was his favorite cruise and I enjoyed it way more than I thought I would. The scenery is just breathtaking. Don't miss Glacier Bay, it was amazing!!

Loved the May timing, we were blessed with great weather and nice to be there before the crowds.

Weather - Sunny and nice every day except Ketchikan, drizzly but not pouring rain, so still an okay day. Temps were in the 50's and 60's.

Star Princess - we booked an aft balcony, first time. Loved it and perfect for Alaska.

The ship is looking a bit worn and service was so so in the dining room but all in all a great cruise.

Anchorage - We stayed two nights at the Captain Cook before sailing. Great location and nice hotel, good service. Drove to Seward on Friday. What a beautiful drive. Stopped in Girdwood, enjoyed the best cinnamon roll at The Bake Shop. Went to the Anchorage downtown outdoor market on Saturday before leaving for Whittier. Picked up some unique local items at good prices. Also, did some shopping at the Alaska Wild Berry Store. Great selection and prices. Same things you will find in a lot of the ports at better prices.

Juneau - I did the Juneau food tours and loved it. My husband did the kayak and trek to Mendenhall and the ice caves. Best excursion ever for him. Juneau was our favorite port, we wished it had been our longer day.

Vancouver - Lines for taxis after disembarking are LONG! (I don't remember reading this anywhere but could have missed it). If you're going to the airport, book the ship transfer.

We stayed one night at the Blue Horizon, great hotel at a reasonable price. We did the Vancouver Food Tour at Granville Island, very fun!

Clothing - I read a lot about what to take as far as clothing for Alaska. I took rainwear, hat, gloves, scarf, packable down coat and lightweight boots. I wore everything except the packable down coat. As everyone says layers, layers, layers.

If you have any questions, I'm happy to answer them.

Vancouver - Lines for taxis after disembarking are LONG! (I don't remember reading this anywhere but could have missed it). If you're going to the airport, book the ship transfer.
To clarify...

• the Star Princess has been arriving on the 3 ship Saturdays. The busiest days in cruise season. Yes, we have been providing alternative transportation advice on these busy days.
  • @lakegirl: What was your debarkation time? Was it close to 10am or much earlier when most people are debarking?
  • how long was your cab wait to the Blue Horizon? Google Maps states it would have been a 16 minute luggage drag to the Blue Horizon... I would have done that.
  • If the taxi line is longer than 15 minutes.... I would have considered dragging luggage West or East to adjacent hotels seeking out a shorter cab wait to the airport.
  • Yep... there is also the Skytrain subway. But I'm sure there would have been a lengthy wait at ticket machines too.

We leave in two days on the Star, I have been to alaska before but now taking my sisters who have never cruised. How and what was the entertainment? Did the rangers come onboard and talk? What nights were formal nights? Thank you

To clarify...

• the Star Princess has been arriving on the 3 ship Saturdays. The busiest days in cruise season. Yes, we have been providing alternative transportation advice on these busy days.
  • @lakegirl: What was your debarkation time? Was it close to 10am or much earlier when most people are debarking?
  • how long was your cab wait to the Blue Horizon? Google Maps states it would have been a 16 minute luggage drag to the Blue Horizon... I would have done that.
  • If the taxi line is longer than 15 minutes.... I would have considered dragging luggage West or East to adjacent hotels seeking out a shorter cab wait to the airport.
  • Yep... there is also the Skytrain subway. But I'm sure there would have been a lengthy wait at ticket machines too.

We were one of the first groups off the ship. The line was much longer as we approached the front of the line. We waited about an hour. In the disembarkation talk on the cruise, they said waits could be up to two hours for a taxi.

There was no way we were dragging our luggage but perhaps that works for some.

Just giving a heads up to those with connections, book cruise line transportation.

Thank you for your review :). We are going on the Southbound in September. How were the shows on board?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Shows were enjoyable. Good comedian, singer and production show. I really like that Princess shows are only 45 minutes. We normally go after dinner and I can't stay awake for more than 45 minutes after eating a big meal.:)

We leave in two days on the Star, I have been to alaska before but now taking my sisters who have never cruised. How and what was the entertainment? Did the rangers come onboard and talk? What nights were formal nights? Thank you

Answered on entertainment on previous post.

Rangers did come aboard and spend the day. Also, one of the rangers who gave a talk in the theater took us through her 10 days kayaking in Glacier Bay by herself. It was so interesting and fun to listen to.

Formal nights were Sunday and Thursday.

Thanks for the review lakegirl.16!

We will be debarking in Vancouver on Saturday June 17th. We were planning on carrying off our own bags and being off the ship as soon as possible. Was this what you meant by being in one of the first groups? We have 12 noon flights. Do you think we will have a problem?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

We were the first group after walk offs and tours. Disembarkation was delayed about an hour due to luggage not being ready but I assume they let the walk off groups off since they carried luggage off. Sorry I can't speak to the line before we got there. Perhaps someone else who has done walk off can?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks! I just checked and there will only be two ships in Vancouver on that date. I think we'll take our chances with Express walk off.

I really appreciate all of your tips, especially on clothing

Thanks! I just checked and there will only be two ships in Vancouver on that date. I think we'll take our chances with Express walk off.

I really appreciate all of your tips, especially on clothing

Of course! I read so many posts on what to take and a lot said don't take boots or down coats. My boots were lightweight and my coat packable, so I decided I'd rather have them and not wear them than not have them and wish I did. My boots were great for the two chillier rainy days.