Handicap Rooms

bigjd

In the process of booking my first cruise. One of my guests will need to have a wheelchair / scooter pretty much at all times. (can only make short walks with their breathing). With this in mind, do I have to get a handicap room or will a normal room work? I would like to take advantage of the 2 perks that Celebrity is offering but they are out / don't have any handicap rooms available with this perk in my price range. Only the inside rooms are left and the perks start with the ocean view.

The person will most likely need a handicapped cabin. The doors of the regular cabins generally aren't wide enough for a scooter and there wouldn't be room to park it in the cabin. I would call Celebrity to find out if they have any info on the size of the cabins / doors, etc.

The Disabled Cruising board has lots of info.

Can the person lift their legs up a step? In regular cabins there is a step into the bathroom, anywhere from 3"-6" high.

Scooters and wheelchairs MUST be stored in the cabin. Cabin doors are 22" wide, about 21" when taking into account the width of the door. Handicapped cabins have wider doors.

Some lines have fully accessible and modified HA cabins. Do not know what Celebrity has.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

In the process of booking my first cruise. One of my guests will need to have a wheelchair / scooter pretty much at all times. (can only make short walks with their breathing). With this in mind, do I have to get a handicap room or will a normal room work? I would like to take advantage of the 2 perks that Celebrity is offering but they are out / don't have any handicap rooms available with this perk in my price range. Only the inside rooms are left and the perks start with the ocean view.

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I would ask this on the Celebrity forum here:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28

There would be more folks reading that forum that would have direct experience.

I do know that scooters can be too large to fit through the stateroom doorway of non-accessible staterooms. When you ask the question on the Celebrity forum, it's best to note the specific ship you are considering.

Regular cabins have lips/steps into the bathroom, and many doors are two narrow to fit a scooter inside (and they cannot be left outside at all)

Need to add---

On some ships there are bathtubs that would be impossible for a mobility impaired person to climb in and out.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It really depends how mobile they are. A JS or larger will have a larger doorway, but a step into the bathroom...and over the threshold for the balcony. If they can walk, that would be fine. Otherwise, an HC cabin is what they need.

For your "cost problem", wouldn't an inside cabin cost less?

Then couldn't you use the difference to pay toward the equivalent perks/extras, even if not "labelled" perks?

In addition, if you're going to get an accessible cabin, you'll need to book it ASAP. There aren't that many of them on any given ship. As I need an accessible cabin, I have to book it 14-18 months in advance or I don't get to cruise.