Special Needs Muster Drill-Fascination

How does one go about getting the special needs muster on The Fascination before we sail? Do I ask our travel agent to get this for us? This is the first I have ever heard of such a thing. My DH and I could use help at the muster drill and we cant stand up long in hot places. We have a special needs handicap cabin also. Do we need to fill out a form before sailing saying we need that room? My DH walks with a cane and sometimes uses a rollater. He just had 2 hips done and need two new knees after our cruise! We are sailing October 1 on the Fascination. Thanks for any answers.

We showed up for our muster drill; it was on the lido deck by the pool. My husband also uses a cane to walk. The staff directed us to chairs to sit in, most people had to stand. They took our names and cabin number so that they could be sure to provide assistance in case there was a real emergency.

How does one go about getting the special needs muster on The Fascination before we sail? Do I ask our travel agent to get this for us? This is the first I have ever heard of such a thing. My DH and I could use help at the muster drill and we cant stand up long in hot places. We have a special needs handicap cabin also. Do we need to fill out a form before sailing saying we need that room? My DH walks with a cane and sometimes uses a rollater. He just had 2 hips done and need two new knees after our cruise! We are sailing October 1 on the Fascination. Thanks for any answers.

Since having a knee replacement last June, I have contacted Special Needs (there's a link at the bottom of the Carnival home page) and requested a seated safety drill. I received email confirming. The email also said to go to Guest Services upon embarkation. We did and all was good.

• 3 weeks later...

Very good question! We are booked on that same cruise, Oct 1, from San Juan. My DH is the same, 2 hips just done, and two knees pending after the cruise. We booked thru a travel agent so we got the special assist room, which includes a shower chair. We need to know the information for the muster drill, there is supposed to be a separate handicapped one. A question for our travel agent for sure. Good that you brought this up.

Very good question! We are booked on that same cruise, Oct 1, from San Juan. My DH is the same, 2 hips just done, and two knees pending after the cruise. We booked thru a travel agent so we got the special assist room, which includes a shower chair. We need to know the information for the muster drill, there is supposed to be a separate handicapped one. A question for our travel agent for sure. Good that you brought this up.

Read my post.

We have a special needs handicap cabin also. Do we need to fill out a form before sailing saying we need that room?

YES! Without completing that form asserting that you have need for the cabin, you could be bumped (it happens rarely, but it does happen). It should have been sent to your TA. I believe that although you booked with a TA, Special Needs will still work directly with you. Feel free to contact them. The worst thing that they could do is tell you that you have to talk to your TA.

I have mobility issues, and need to use a mobility scooter. On the Carnival Pride, those of us who have various medical issues/mobility issues, meet inside the ship in one of the public areas for Muster. After the Muster drill, the staff also checked that they had everyone's name on their list.

Before each cruise, I notify Carnival Special Needs via email (I guess you or your TA can call or email them), and since I've taken the scooter several times, I already know the specifics, i.e. the scooter dimensions, etc. for any questions that Carnival has. Now, when we cruise, I just change the date on my email to them, with answers to all of their special needs questions. The Special Needs Group will also have the names of everyone who might require additional assistance in the unlikely event of an emergency, so that's another reason to contact them or fill out whatever they send you.

There is an section on the Carnival website that gives you all the info regarding Accessibility, etc. I had to complete the questionnaire because I was bringing my scooter. I don't require an accessible cabin yet, but I think you do have to answer some of their questions if you have booked an accessible cabin. I think the questionnaire covers all kinds of medical issues.