Underwater disposable cameras

Margaritavillager

Has anyone used these at all? I'm thinking of trying these out on our cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, we have, on several cruises. If you're planning to purchase one, get it before your cruise. They're much cheaper at Walmart than on the ship.

I've found that the best place for camera reviews (as well as just about anything except cruises!) is Amazon. You can put in whatever parameters you want (Cameras, Underwater, Manufacturer, Under xx$, etc.), then click on the reviews. Just like cruise reviews, look at the overall averages. I usually read all of the worst (1 star) reviews to see if there is a pattern or common problem that would be an issue for me. Then you can buy from Amazon or do another search to see where else you can buy whatever model you decide on. A very common problem that we read in reviews for almost all the cameras is leaking and/or just stopping working after a very short period of time. We finally bought an Olympus Stylus TG-630, which had better reviews than most at a reasonable price. It seems fine though we haven't tried it underwater yet. We leave on our cruise Saturday and it will get quite a workout!

I have used them in the past but the photos always seem very grainy. One of these days, I think I will invest in an underwater camera that takes better pictures.

Ditto, as you can see in the photos in post #5.

We got an underwater digital camera on sale at Costco which has been well worth the money. Some of the photos are close to postcard quality and we pretty much stink at photography.

I have used them in the past but the photos always seem very grainy. One of these days, I think I will invest in an underwater camera that takes better pictures.

Ditto, as you can see in the photos in post #5.

We got an underwater digital camera on sale at Costco which has been well worth the money. Some of the photos are close to postcard quality and we pretty much stink at photography.

You want to see the difference? The following photos were taken with a Canon D10.

D7-3.jpg

D7-2.jpg

D7-6.jpg

And these were taken with a Pentax WG-II ...

CorolWorldIMGP0097_zpsfe56b009.jpg

CorolWorldIMGP0118_zps9869dfb5.jpg

CorolWorldIMGP0126_zpsae9e86d9.jpg

Can highly recommend investing in a digital one. There are some cheap ones on the market now. Not only are your photos going to be much better quality, you will have a digital copy to take as many reprints as you like & you'll have something you can use for many many years to come. You can get a cheap digital one for around $60 now and the quality will still be far superior to a disposable or invest in something like the Panasonic DMC-TS25D for less than $150.

disposable cameras just can't give you any measure of quality. If you value your photos you need to get something digital.

Consider one of the GoPro cameras as well. It does still images and video as well. You can find an earlier version of a GoPro for a couple hundred bucks.

If you go over to the photo / camera discussion forum there are a few threads on underwater cameras and GoPros.

Edited by websiteauthor

Have used them for years. But, I'm not a professional. I take snap-shots, not photographs. For my purposes, they have worked very well. I would not recommend them for any great depths. Scuba - no. Snorkel/pool-side/water-slide - yes. I recommend one for each day you plan to hit the beach (or water-park).

Oh. And those return adderss labels you keep getting from the non-profits? Make sure you stick one on each camera, right next to the view finder. :D

Edited by Calgon1

Started off with disposable camera and after 7 cruises have tried various underwater cameras.

The disposables do a nice job (Love that turtle picture above---awesome!!)

Then we moved up to the Nikon water proof camera.

And this next cruise we moved up to the

Go Pro 3 Hero.............heard a lot of great reviews and cannot wait to try it in the Caribbean.

Sea Ya