Car hire from the cruise termiinal in Port Everglades off the Royal Princess

Hi

We will be doing a B2B on the Royal and then going up to Orlando for 3 nights then back to Pt Everglades for a 10 day on the Emerald Princess.

Where and who is the best place to hire a car at the cruise terminal once we get off the ship with the kids and the luggage and then return to the terminal the day we board the Emerald?

Any help would be great

Thanks

Danni

Hi!

We did exactly this in August getting off the Allure of the Seas. MANY of the car rental companies at the airport (10-15 mins away) have shuttles from the port to their counters to rent a car. Ours didn't (Avis) but another company's shuttle agreed to take the 10 of us and our luggage for a tip to the driver ($20).

It was quick and easy - just do some research as to which of these companies actually run those shuttles.:D

Hi!

National is the only company offering a shuttle to the airport.

I usually dropped my car off at a port location (Dollar/Thrifty and Hertz are very close, you can actually walk to the ship). Expect standing in a long line, though, if you have to make some adjustments concerning your invoice, otherwise go straight to the free shuttlebuses taking you to the ship - they run frequently.

As for car pick-up, I would always prefer going to the airport for the far wider range of cars, especially when you book a special offer (see below).

You can either take a shared mini-van (cheap, but you have to wait for departure until the last seat is sold) or you can take a regular taxi (please make sure the driver turns his meter on!)

I had best experiences with Dollar and their "Lock low and go" offer, which means you pay for mid-size and you get a mid-size car or a higher category. I three out of three cases I had the choice between a Dodge Grand Caravan or a Chrysler Town & Country - both should suit you and your family fine.

Hi!

National is the only company offering a shuttle to the airport.

I usually dropped my car off at a port location (Dollar/Thrifty and Hertz are very close, you can actually walk to the ship). Expect standing in a long line, though, if you have to make some adjustments concerning your invoice, otherwise go straight to the free shuttlebuses taking you to the ship - they run frequently.

As for car pick-up, I would always prefer going to the airport for the far wider range of cars, especially when you book a special offer (see below).

You can either take a shared mini-van (cheap, but you have to wait for departure until the last seat is sold) or you can take a regular taxi (please make sure the driver turns his meter on!)

I had best experiences with Dollar and their "Lock low and go" offer, which means you pay for mid-size and you get a mid-size car or a higher category. I three out of three cases I had the choice between a Dodge Grand Caravan or a Chrysler Town & Country - both should suit you and your family fine.

In Fort Lauderdale, the airport and port rental car companies are often at the same location since the port and airport are next to each other.

Almost all of the car rental companies have shuttle buses FROM the port to their rental locations. They come fairly frequently, but there are always long lines, with people pushing and shoving to get on.

The problem is that not all of them have shuttles TO the port. Call each one to verify what is offered.

In Fort Lauderdale, the airport and port rental car companies are often at the same location since the port and airport are next to each other.

Almost all of the car rental companies have shuttle buses FROM the port to their rental locations. They come fairly frequently, but there are always long lines, with people pushing and shoving to get on.

The problem is that not all of them have shuttles TO the port. Call each one to verify what is offered.

To the best of my knowledge, there are several car rental shuttles for the port area, but the only one actually going from the piers TO the airport, that means dropping you off directly at FLL airport, is the National shuttle.

As for going to the port from a port area location, I know that Hertz and Dollar/Thrifty (both located near the intersection A1A and SW/SE 24th St.) run shuttles as I used both of them.

To the best of my knowledge, there are several car rental shuttles for the port area, but the only one actually going from the piers TO the airport, that means dropping you off directly at FLL airport, is the National shuttle.

As for going to the port from a port area location, I know that Hertz and Dollar/Thrifty (both located near the intersection A1A and SW/SE 24th St.) run shuttles as I used both of them.

I don't believe the OP didn't asked anything about the airport. They asked: "Where and who is the best place to hire a car at the cruise terminal once we get off the ship with the kids and the luggage and then return to the terminal the day we board the Emerald?" So I thought by "terminal", they clearly meant cruise terminal.

I don't believe the OP didn't asked anything about the airport. They asked: "Where and who is the best place to hire a car at the cruise terminal once we get off the ship with the kids and the luggage and then return to the terminal the day we board the Emerald?" So I thought by "terminal", they clearly meant cruise terminal.

You are the only one to of read the question correctly.

Hi

We will be doing a B2B on the Royal and then going up to Orlando for 3 nights then back to Pt Everglades for a 10 day on the Emerald Princess.

Where and who is the best place to hire a car at the cruise terminal once we get off the ship with the kids and the luggage and then return to the terminal the day we board the Emerald?

Any help would be great

Thanks

Danni

Try Larrys limo.

The widest selection of cars and reputable car rental firms (I wouldn't rent from some small-time operation if you're planning on a long-distance road trip to Orlando; no support in case of breakdown or other problem) is at the airport, which is 5 minutes away from the port by taxi. You could always grab the cab over there, rent the car, and then return to pick up everyone else + luggage. And repeat the process on the return.

The walk to and from the ship isn't all that easy if you're juggling bags and small children. Especially since you can't guarantee that either ship will be at Terminal 2, the closest to the port entrance.

The widest selection of cars and reputable car rental firms

Last October after a TA on the Ruby Princess we rented from Hertz who has a shuttle that picks you up at your pier to take you to their location less than 2 miles away. You must choose this location:

Port Everglade Fort Lauderdale 455 Southeast 24th StreetState Road 84

Ft Lauderdale (Fort Lauderdale), Florida 33316 United States Show Nearby Locations

• PLEASE NOTE: The physical address of Port Everglades is 1850 Eller Drive. For more information please call 954-761-1163

Phone: 954-761-1163 Fax: 954-761-1183 Location Type: Corporate Hours of Operation: Mo-Fr 0730-1800, Sa-Su 0700-1600 Rental Services Provided By Ft. Lauderdale, 455 State Road 84 HLE

Board the Yellow Hertz Shuttle vans which will transport you to the rental offfice 1.9 miles away. Shuttle service will run 0800-1600, 7 days every 20-25 mins.

--

We were able to drop the car near our home in Ocala at the airport.

We have rented several times from Budget Auto Rental on 17th Street. They have a free shuttle pick-up, and return, to the ship. They are about 5 minutes ride from the ship. I also believe their rates would be less than an airport rental, which may involve more taxes.

We have booked with the above Budget location for the end of our TA cruise in November. It looks to be just round the corner though we aren't going to walk with our 4 bags and carry-ons:eek:!!! I read over on the Florida departures part of Ports on Cruise Critic, that sometimes the shuttle buses can be slow as they go round all the ships in port that day. They recommended taking a taxi.

We have booked with the above Budget location for the end of our TA cruise in November. It looks to be just round the corner though we aren't going to walk with our 4 bags and carry-ons:eek:!!! I read over on the Florida departures part of Ports on Cruise Critic, that sometimes the shuttle buses can be slow as they go round all the ships in port that day. They recommended taking a taxi.

Especially slow if it is a Saturday or Sunday: more ships overall and the 5000 px Allure/Oasis sail on weekends (one on Saturdays, one on Sundays).

Yes it is a Saturday and someone told us one of those big ships will be docked. Apparently there are 4 ships that day. We were also told that the RCCI one gets priority, whatever that means to us. We are not in a hurry so will stay onboard until we are thrown off, so different to all our other cruises where we have been off as quickly as possible!!

Yes it is a Saturday and someone told us one of those big ships will be docked. Apparently there are 4 ships that day. We were also told that the RCCI one gets priority, whatever that means to us. We are not in a hurry so will stay onboard until we are thrown off, so different to all our other cruises where we have been off as quickly as possible!!

We have used Budget Car Rental on 17th Street Causeway every time we disembark in Ft. Lauderdale, and that has been quite a few times.

They do have a shuttle at the port, but we find it best to get a cab, it is $10, as that is the minimum fare. The car rental office is not far away, but too far to want to walk with children and luggage.

You can pick your car up there, have your trip to Orlando, then return the car to the same location on 17th Street Causeway when you return. They will take you to the ship on their shuttle.

We have never had a problem. This is the way to go. Don't go to the airport. Airport locations for rental cars are more expensive.

I reserve online. We have a reservation for our upcoming cruise. Post if you want any more information.

Linda

PS There are always multiple big ships docked in Port Everglades, not to worry it is very fast moving, they have it well organized.

As well as the Budget location on SE 17th St, there is also a Thrifty location right at the port gates at 2400 S. Miami Rd. Both provide shuttles to the port. We have used both and both provide pretty good service, although I think they now charge a drop off charge for other locations in FL.

• 2 weeks later...
We are looking to rent a car at disembarkation for just the day on nov. 23rd to drive down to Miami for the day and back to FL airport for our 6pm flight home.

This is just what we want to do.

Did you work it out yet ?

Archived