Introducing myself - hello! :)

BCgal2010

Hello everyone!

I'm a long-time avid traveler, hoping to lose my cruise virginity in 2015. :) We've been invited on a friend's "wedding cruise" on the MS Pride of America in the Hawaiian Islands in May.

I started browsing the boards years ago, and I'm amazed at the amount of info here - and that such a fun online community exists around cruising. Hopefully I'll be able to match everyone's level of enthusiasm once I've (finally!) taken my first one.

Anyway, I figured I'd stop lurking and say hello. Looking forward to chatting with some of you in the coming months!

Edited by BCgal2010

Living in Vancouver, you're in a good place to take some pretty awesome cruises. Even if Alaska isn't your thing, the repositioning cruises before and after the Alaska cruising season are really interesting.

I'd say take a short cruise before May, but I know short cruises aren't convenient for you up there. I only say that because Pride of America is a little unconventional compared to most cruises.

Oh, and welcome to Cruise Critic. :)

Welcome to Cruise Critic, BCgal2010!

Cruise Critic is an excellent way to learn about cruising. I had been on a number of cruises before I found CC but have gotten so much more information since.

Consider joining the roll call for your cruise. I have been on two amazing roll calls.

Be warned however, that cruising is very addictive!:D

Welcome, BCgal!! Welcome to the boards and all the fun and sometimes not -so-fun things! :rolleyes: Most any question you have can and will be answered by a lot of great folks with a lot of knowledge of the industry and the ports. I amazed by how much I have learned from CC!

Welcome!!! A caveat about P of A. It has a US crew, because of regulations, and IMO they are not as accommodating as other cruise crews. If you want to take any tours, check with Roberts tours, they are less costly than the ship tours.

Edited by Talisker92

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! Yes, a "wedding cruise" should be a lot of fun! The actual ceremony will be on land in Maui, reception on the ship.

I'm curious: what did you mean (Paul) when you said that Pride of America was less conventional than most cruise lines? What sorts of difference should I expect?

I've wondered before about taking a short re-positioning cruise - something that goes from Vancouver to San Francisco seems like it might be a fun way to dip my toes in. Alaska is something I'm thinking about doing with our kids once they're a little bit older.

As for tours, a friend of mine had recommended a company I could hire a private guide through for the various Hawaiian Islands: I thought that might be a fun (and good value) way to go, as it will be easy to put a small group of wedding guests together to take advantage of the private tour price.

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone! Yes, a "wedding cruise" should be a lot of fun! The actual ceremony will be on land in Maui, reception on the ship.

I'm curious: what did you mean (Paul) when you said that Pride of America was less conventional than most cruise lines? What sorts of difference should I expect?

I've wondered before about taking a short re-positioning cruise - something that goes from Vancouver to San Francisco seems like it might be a fun way to dip my toes in. Alaska is something I'm thinking about doing with our kids once they're a little bit older.

As for tours, a friend of mine had recommended a company I could hire a private guide through for the various Hawaiian Islands: I thought that might be a fun (and good value) way to go, as it will be easy to put a small group of wedding guests together to take advantage of the private tour price.

Pride of America is the only major cruise ships registered in the US. This means they have to comply with US laws. These include requirements that something like 75 percent of the staff must be from the US. NCL has had difficulties keeping the ship staffed. The foriegn staff on other ships have a REPUTATION for being more service oriented.

The other Paul hit the nail on the head with what I was talking about. Because of the crew makeup, the ship tends to get a lot of complaints about service. Don't let me dissuade you from going though. NCL and the Pride of America is good for first timers. You'll probably love it, especially if you know you can only go up from there. ;)

Hello everyone!

I'm a long-time avid traveler, hoping to lose my cruise virginity in 2015. :) We've been invited on a friend's "wedding cruise" on the MS Pride of America in the Hawaiian Islands in May.

I started browsing the boards years ago, and I'm amazed at the amount of info here - and that such a fun online community exists around cruising. Hopefully I'll be able to match everyone's level of enthusiasm once I've (finally!) taken my first one.

Anyway, I figured I'd stop lurking and say hello. Looking forward to chatting with some of you in the coming months!

Welcome to Cruise Critic. The more you look here the more advice you'll find and before you know it, you'll be here giving valuable advice too.