Wind Surf Questions

LalaKP

An upcoming trip on the Wind Surf will be our first Windstar experience and only our second cruise. I have a few questions about relatively unimportant details, but thought I'd ask.

I have read that a power strip is a good idea for chargers, etc. Are they allowed, necessary, and if so, what one do you recommend?

Are bathrobes provided? Hair dryers?

I read a suggestion to bring an over-the-door shoe organizer to hold misc. items in your cabin. Do the cabins really lack adequate counter space?

Any other advice is welcome.

Thanks, Laurie

I've never needed a power strip, your needs may be different.

Yes to hair dryers and bathrooms. No, there's plenty of counter/storage space IMO. I've never understood the "need" to lug around a shoe organizer.

Unless you're plugging in a lot of items you don't need a plug strip. There is (1) 110v and (2) 220v outlets under the desk. I take several European plug adapters (not power converters) so I can plug in my chargers and laptop power supplies. Check your chargers and power supplies for voltage rating. Most of these work on either 110v or 220v. We have found the storage areas more than adequate especially when you can store your suitcase under the bed (good place for anything you don't access very often). The book shelf unit has lots of storage for small items and there is a room safe. Hair dryers and robes are provided along with slippers.

An upcoming trip on the Wind Surf will be our first Windstar experience and only our second cruise. I have a few questions about relatively unimportant details, but thought I'd ask.

I have read that a power strip is a good idea for chargers, etc. Are they allowed, necessary, and if so, what one do you recommend?

Are bathrobes provided? Hair dryers?

I read a suggestion to bring an over-the-door shoe organizer to hold misc. items in your cabin. Do the cabins really lack adequate counter space?

Any other advice is welcome.

Thanks, Laurie

We found that there was plenty of storage for small items and counter space. We made one of the drawers into a "junk drawer" where we kept all those little things that you need handy but don't want laying around--pens, sticky note pad, corkscrew, chargers when not in use, etc.

There was plenty of storage space in the bathroom as well--more than we possibly needed.

Bathrobes and hairdryers are provided--the hairdryers were powerful enough that I was glad I didn't bother to bring my own.

There is a 110 outlet as well as a 220 outlet, we used a adapter and never needed more than the two outlets.

My best advice is get the laundry package and leave half of what you think you need at home.

I agree. The laundry package saves me 10 lbs. in my suitcase. Especially if you are adding 2-3 days on before the cruise. All that laundry can be put out on the first day on the ship and it will be back the next morning. It makes life much easier when it's hot and humid. You can do all the laundry you need to do to have fresh clothes. Also, make sure after you get checked in on board you go and make your reservations for the Candles restaurant. The reservations go quick.

You can also elect to pay as you go for the laundry. Their prices are quite good. That is what we did last year and we had fresh clothes for the post-cruise stay in St-Martin. You can probably find the prices on this website somehwere.

dandee2

here are the prices

Windstar’s Laundry Services:

Travel light and take pleasure in the feeling of freshly washed and pressed clothing every day from our professional laundry. Enjoy the service during your entire sailing, with a quick turnaround of 24 hours on all items, and same day service available when items are turned in by 9:00 a.m.

• 7-Day Sailing (per cabin, double occupancy) $99
  • 7-Day Sailing (per cabin, single occupancy) $49.50
  • 14-Day Sailing (per cabin, double occupancy) $198
  • 14-Day Sailing (per cabin, single occupancy) $99

Here are the individual laundry prices from our last cruise.

Men

Pants / Jeans $3.50

Sport Shirt $3.75

Socks $1.80

Underwear $1.80

Shorts $3.75

Women

Blouse $3.75

Painties $1.75

Bras $1.75

Socks $1.80

Slacks / Jeans $4.25

Shorts $3.75

here are the prices

Windstar’s Laundry Services:

Travel light and take pleasure in the feeling of freshly washed and pressed clothing every day from our professional laundry. Enjoy the service during your entire sailing, with a quick turnaround of 24 hours on all items, and same day service available when items are turned in by 9:00 a.m.

• 7-Day Sailing (per cabin, double occupancy) $99
  • 7-Day Sailing (per cabin, single occupancy) $49.50
  • 14-Day Sailing (per cabin, double occupancy) $198
  • 14-Day Sailing (per cabin, single occupancy) $99

I believe that those are the old prices. The rate is now $109 for a double cabin. It is still a bargain in my opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to complete the picture, the laundry package for 8-night cruises is $124.90 for two people, all the clothes you can manage to get dirty. Well worth it, as you can have your pre-cruise laundry done as soon as you board the ship, and then on the last day, send out what you've been wearing, so you go home with clean clothes rather than loads of wash to do (not to mention unlimited laundry service during the voyage).

Thanks for all the info on the laundry package. I've spent lots of time doing laundry on Oceania 10 day cruises, so the laundry package sounds like a bargain.

But speaking of bargains....an extension cord (not a heavy power strip) is light and occupies little space in your bag. You may or may not need it on the cruise (with 2 phones and 2 ipads plus misc appliances) we always do. But if you're staying in hotels pre/post cruise with only one outlet adaptor, that puny extension cord is great.

My advice...don't leave home without it.

But speaking of bargains....an extension cord (not a heavy power strip) is light and occupies little space in your bag. But if you're staying in hotels pre/post cruise with only one outlet adaptor, that puny extension cord is great.

My advice...don't leave home without it.

Depending on their itinerary, OP may be staying in European hotel where extension cord won't work.

Monster (cable maker) makes a travel power strip called Power to Go that will take up to 240V. You would need an adapter for the plug (not a converter) but otherwise you're OK. Most computer power supplies and tablet chargers work on voltage up to 240V so you won't need an power converter.

When we were on the Surf in 2012 and the Star in 2013 there was a 110 V plug behind the Bose iPod player. Also the player will charge an iPod and iPhone. If they have not changed that configuration that is another 110 outlet for use.

If you have long hair, and you wish to dry it quickly, I recommend bringing your own hairdryer. The dryer provided is very low power and would have taken me 1/2 hour to completely dry my just past shoulder length thick hair.

We always bring an extension cord when we travel. Most of the European hotels we've stayed in offer one plug of each type, so it's nice to maximize the one plug. We actually started this AFTER our first Windstar Cruise where we were competing for plugs.

Candles is great, and we usually try to go twice during each Windstar cruise. We book one right away and then halfway through the trip, we go back to the desk to see if any spaces are left. It's by far the best meal offering on the yacht, but it's proper to give everyone a shot at making a reservation prior to trying to book a second.

I think the lunch buffets are really awesome... they typically have very interesting food with an international flair. Also, there are hot and cold options. There are very short lines, so I typically walk all around to see everything before I make a selection. I find the dinners in the dining room to be fine, but nothing to rave about... I wish they would offer the lunch spread as an option for dinner. We typically have lunch when we are off the ship, but on the days at sea, I've loved the lunches.

During breakfast, we love to sit outside. They will provide table service, so don't feel like you have to run in there and get in a line. I don't know why people do that. You can just sit down, and they will bring you coffee and you can order from the menu. I leave the breakfast buffet for the people in a hurry. When I'm on vacation, I want to be served! And it's a great opportunity to chat with the staff. Most of the guys are from Indonesia, and they are soooo nice. They will learn your names and joke with you; they really let their personalities shine. After getting to know them a bit, it makes the deck bbq night a real blast when they get up there to dance and you can root for your favorite by name.

Our next Windstar cruise is in March 2015 and we are really looking forward to it. I hope you love yours.

Enjoy!