Steak House

w8ting2cruz

What are your thoughts of dining in the steak house ? Is it worth the money ? Any day better than another ? What is the best thing on the menu ?

Yes, it is worth it. I book one dinner at the Steakhouse every cruise. Best entrees for me are the filet mignon, rack of lamb, and the filet mignon/lobster tail combo. Cheesecake for dessert.

I still recall our dining experience. It was the best food on the ship, and a quiet, relaxed venue with exceptional service. I had fresh fish, dh had steak. Both were fork tender, and the quantities were enormous. I highly recommend.

Best day is first day, as they include a free bottle of wine.

Edited by 63galaxie

Just off the Dream on Sunday. Ate there on Thursday, it is more than worth it!!! So good. My husband and I both had the filet mignon/lobster tail combo and cheesecake for dessert. I would recommend ordering different desserts and sharing the cheesecake because it is a HUGE piece of cake. The only difference in nights is if you go the first night you get a free bottle of wine.

Husband and I went.....kids got to eat in the MDR.

I dunno...you all sure about this steakhouse thing? I've recently read right here on this forum that you can get as good, or maybe a BETTER meal in the MDR..for no additional cost!!! So, like I dunno......

I dunno...you all sure about this steakhouse thing? I've recently read right here on this forum that you can get as good, or maybe a BETTER meal in the MDR..for no additional cost!!! So, like I dunno......

The quality of the meal is so much better than in the MDR it is well worth the $35. The Cesar Salad is delicious and it is made tableside. The shrimp in the shrimp cocktail are huge, fresh and delicious. I enjoy the surf & turf which is filet mignon and lobster tail. The sides were all great especially the mashed potatoes, the mushrooms and creamed spinach. The cheese cake is great and huge. You can ask for sorbet if the desserts are too huge for you. Next time I will try the chocolate sampler. Yes the first night you do get the free bottle of wine. I did get the red and it was very good with my meal.

My last cruise on the Splendor I did go the first night but the meal and the whole experience including the service and the fine dining atmosphere was excellent that I did go back later in the week.

Give the steakhouse a try and enjoy it!:cool:

Edited by JohnSpo

What are your thoughts of dining in the steak house ? Is it worth the money ? Any day better than another ? What is the best thing on the menu ?

We just got off the Legend Sunday. We ate at the steakhouse the first night. We were cruising with our 22 year old daughter and 15 year old daughter. We all LOVED the steakhouse! The free bottle of wine was marginal at best, but you can trade up for any bottle 50% off if you go on the first night. It was so much food, I felt bad I had to leave so much on my plate, but had I eaten it all I would have been sick! Service was outstanding. It was a very rich and enjoyable dining experience. I highly recommend it!

MDR food is pretty bad. SH food is amazing. $35 is well worth it. My last cruise we only ate in the MDR once and the other specialty restaurant the other 5 nights. SH was 2 of those nights.

Well...now you guys have me all confused...I read a lengthy report on one of the steak house experiences...went on for days...and several comments about the MDR meals being better and without additional cost..that the steak houses have gone down hill...service bad...food worse....stick with MDR....but you all say how wonderful the steak house is...whats a cruiser to do?!?!?!?

We are in the minority here as we did not enjoy our steak hose experience at all. Our cowboy rib eyes were tough and not very flavorful, though they were perfectly medium-rare. We've had better steaks at Longhorn Steakhouse.

We found that we missed the personal interaction of our dining room staff.

Definitely a waste of $70 for us.

IMHO, the steakhouse is a dining experience. We have has some lovely meals in the MDR but the noise level and close proximity of the tables do not make for an intimate setting. My husband and I enjoy the steakhouse at least twice per cruise.

Food taste is subjective. I do not care for the cheesecake at all. I prefer new York style. The steakhouse cheesecake is fluffy. Others will tell you it is excellent and don't miss it.

My suggestion is try it once and then you will know if it was worth it to you.

MDR food is good and sometimes very good. I would have no problem if I could only and not going to the steakhouse. That said, the steak house is fantastic and good for an occassional treat or special meal. I like the steakhouse for many reasons. One of the main reasons is that I LOVE lobster. I rarely get it at home because I am in the landlocked midwest and when they do have lobster it is market price, which means $$$$. I am aware that the MDR has lobster 1 time per cruise, but I don't know if I will ever get sick of lobster. I could eat it daily. THe lobster in the steakhouse is very good. DH has had the monster porterhouse (which they took of the menu) and the ribeye, which were pretty good.

Some might claim that the flat iron steak in the MDR is as good the steak in the steakhouse and I don't know who to respond to that. I am not sure if they got a bad cut in the steakhouse or if they have different tastes. I thought the flat iron steak in the MDR was decent, kind of like sirloin steak. I prefer something a little more marbled (aka fattier) myself like rib eye.

Edited by cruzinlisa

IMHO, the steakhouse is a dining experience. We have has some lovely meals in the MDR but the noise level and close proximity of the tables do not make for an intimate setting. My husband and I enjoy the steakhouse at least twice per cruise.

Food taste is subjective. I do not care for the cheesecake at all. I prefer new York style. The steakhouse cheesecake is fluffy. Others will tell you it is excellent and don't miss it.

My suggestion is try it once and then you will know if it was worth it to you.

Barely tried the cheesecake (DH's) because I was stuffed, but from what I can tell I liked it. But I like no bake and whipped types of cheesecake so that is probably why. Yeah I know all of the NY cheesecake fans are shuddering!

My opinion, worth about what you paid for it:

I dined in the Steakhouse on the Valor about 3 weeks ago. I had a 6 PM reservation. I was the first one there, other than the staff. Eventually there were about a dozen people in the room. It wasn't nearly full. The ambiance was wonderful... except for the fact I was facing a window that showed people parading in their swimwear outside. Some were worth viewing, some not so much.

I knew going in that I would not like any of the sides, salads, or starters. I would rather have had a baked potato or even french fries, gauche as that sounds. I tried the caesar salad out of desperation. Hated it. Didn't care to fool around with anything else that I probably wouldn't like.

In better news, the bread was fine, the fruit cocktail was great, and the steak (I think I had the cowboy steak) was the best I've ever had - keeping in mind my limited lifetime experience. The service was very good, but no better than what I had in the MDR.

So, bottom line, did I think it was worth it? I think it was worth doing once, but I don't think I'll try it again, unless I'm dining with someone who's a dedicated carnivore. I just didn't think the food and the experience was $35 better than what I would get elsewhere on the ship.

We don't go every cruise because we are just not that into steak, and we like the MDR. Plus, it irks me a little to pay $35 PP on top of what I already have "paid" for meals in my fare.

BUT, when we do go, we always love it! The service is exceptional, it is quiet and sedate (usually no kids!) here are some unusual offerings that you can't get in the MDR.

It would be worth it for you to try it at least!:)

my wife and I only eat in the MDR at night, we have never had a so so meal or a bad steak.

we talked about the extra for the steak house room but as long as we get what we ask for and can order something extra or get a steak and lobster in the MDR we will just eat there and enjoy it all.

my wife likes the pork chops better than the steak .

It depends if it's worth it to pay an additional $20 to upgrade your steak, and then tip 7 times what you tip in the MDR.

MDR food is good and sometimes very good. I would have no problem if I could only and not going to the steakhouse. That said, the steak house is fantastic and good for an occassional treat or special meal. I like the steakhouse for many reasons. One of the main reasons is that I LOVE lobster. I rarely get it at home because I am in the landlocked midwest and when they do have lobster it is market price, which means $$$$. I am aware that the MDR has lobster 1 time per cruise, but I don't know if I will ever get sick of lobster. I could eat it daily. THe lobster in the steakhouse is very good. DH has had the monster porterhouse (which they took of the menu) and the ribeye, which were pretty good.

Some might claim that the flat iron steak in the MDR is as good the steak in the steakhouse and I don't know who to respond to that. I am not sure if they got a bad cut in the steakhouse or if they have different tastes. I thought the flat iron steak in the MDR was decent, kind of like sirloin steak. I prefer something a little more marbled (aka fattier) myself like rib eye.

I would second everything here, we like the MDR, we love the Steakhouse. Beyond what has been posted, the Lobster Bisque is one of the top 5 things I've ever eaten! IMO, the Steakhouse is comparable in quality and service as places that cost double to triple that on land. Count me in!

You heard wrong - you can't get a halfway decent steak in the MDR - steakhouse filet mignon is almost Morton quality -

Well...now you guys have me all confused...I read a lengthy report on one of the steak house experiences...went on for days...and several comments about the MDR meals being better and without additional cost..that the steak houses have gone down hill...service bad...food worse....stick with MDR....but you all say how wonderful the steak house is...whats a cruiser to do?!?!?!?

Probably posters were pax who never went to the steakhouse because they didn't want to pay the extra $$$ and felt the need to justify their position. I've never had a bad meal in the steakhouse. In fact those were 10x better than MDR food. Morton's to Arby's.

Edited by evandbob

Is the steakhouse meal enough food for a big appetite? I'm thinking of booking it for my boyfriends birthday, but he can EAT! And I don't want him to still be hungry after leaving

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is the steakhouse meal enough food for a big appetite? I'm thinking of booking it for my boyfriends birthday, but he can EAT! And I don't want him to still be hungry after leaving

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

He will not be hungry after. Plenty of food.