What's a good place to have dinner?

jaguarstyper

We will be in San Juan until later in the evening and want to have dinner somewhere on shore. We generally tend to avoid any sort of "chain" restaurants, so we're looking for something with a local flavor. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just something with good food. Cost is not much of a consideration...we're on vacation, after all.

Any recommendations?

We will be in San Juan until later in the evening and want to have dinner somewhere on shore. We generally tend to avoid any sort of "chain" restaurants, so we're looking for something with a local flavor. It doesn't have to be anything fancy, just something with good food. Cost is not much of a consideration...we're on vacation, after all.

Any recommendations?

We really enjoyed Vaca Brava. It is not PR food, but is an Argentinian Steak House. It is very well done, food was excellent. We had Burgers and Fries for about 9 to 10 $. It's located right in the middle of OSJ. They also served food, Family/Platter style. They had various prices for different sized groups, but also a great menu for people who each wanted to order their own dish.

Old San Juan has so many restaurants you need to be more specific as to what you would like to eat so you can get more targeted recommendations. If people in your party have food issues, that narrows the field.

Mofongo is a popular, traditional PR dish that you'll find on many menus. We first tried it at some restaurant that I can't remember, and didn't like it.

A Puerto Rican advised us to order it with sauce, and it was delicious!

My favorite restaurant raised their prices, so I ate elsewhere in Aug 2014. It depends on the atmosphere and menu that you'd like to experience.

To be more specific, we would like a place that's focused on local PR food. Somewhere that locals like to go, not something touristy. We love all kinds of food, especially seafood, and like to be adventurous with food. I love trying things I've never had before, but that list is getting shorter as I age and travel. We have no allergic issues whatsoever.

Mofongo is mashed plaintains topped with meat (chicken, steak, shrimp, pork, etc) and then sometimes topped with a sauce. We had garlic sauce. Was amazing. Punta De Vista is right near the cruise pier, by the waterfront, about a block away from Sheraton OSJ. It was also in the same block as the bus terminal which is how we found it. They also have great mojitos! And the mojitos are 2 for 1 all day everyday! They have a website if you google it. Happy eating :)

They also have great mojitos! And the mojitos are 2 for 1 all day everyday! They have a website if you google it. Happy eating :)

Now we're getting to the good part! I do love a good mojito!

Thanks for all the suggestions and keep them coming.

• 3 weeks later...
Aguaviva (means jellyfish in Spanish) is in OSJ and has great food in an upscale but not stuffy atmosphere.

The drinks are also great, especially the coconut mojito and the drinks are handcrafted.

This is the place I came to suggest. Two thumbs up!

I love coming to the CC boards and finding a thread with the exact subject I was looking for. (Hi Tim!). Both Barrachina and Aguaviva look good and for the most part have good ratings.

Marmalade was also suggested on another thread. Anyone eaten there?

Edited by thetexasaggiecruiser

Marmalade is more than a meal...it is an experience. Prepare yourself for a chefs tasting menu and matching wine flight. : ) Every wine and course described to you in detail. Perhaps the chef might come out and talk with you about what you are about to enjoy. Truly a once in a lifetime experience. $$$ as you would expect.

On the other hand I just as much enjoyed my meal at Cafe Puerto Rico...delish!!! Also at at Dragonfly...not bad but doesn't compare to the two above. Had a fabulous Mojito at the Parrot Club.

We loved Barrachina's!! http://www.barrachina.com/indexb.php

Home of the Pina Colada. They also have the Flamenco Dancer show Friday and Saturday evenings between 8-9pm. The mofongo is sensational!!!

Is Barrachina a family oriented restaurant or more like a bar restaurant? Would you recommend it for a family with a 3 year old?

Any other family oriented restaurants for lunch and dinner?

Is Barrachina a family oriented restaurant or more like a bar restaurant? Would you recommend it for a family with a 3 year old?

Any other family oriented restaurants for lunch and dinner?

Naya,,there are many different dining areas in Barrachina's. The outdoor bar is just past the hostess station when you walk in as well as cafe style seating. There is a dining room upstairs, as well as dining rooms to the left and right of the outdoor bar. We have been there 3 times, and have seen many families with young children there. Our last visit there was back in August, and we had brought our 3 year old nephew with us. Hope this helps!!!:)

Edited by Mikesa1721