Obstructed View Balconies

ksg

We booked a DO on deck 6 on the Anthem, firstly we held the cabin then googled 2 iPads and came up with piccies of both sides of the ship, then cross checked with RCI website deck plan, counted from the hump the balconies and found our cabin, and it was in between life boats, so quite happy with that especially on the price. Besides, we will only use the balcony on brekkie and for fresh air, and if there's a obstructed view no one on shore can see my undies blowing in the wind.....:):)

Edited by lynsteve

Agreed. It looks a little worse on the Quantum though.

I'm thinking the same as you. From the exterior photos so far it appears to be worse on Quantum.

I had 6562 booked which was one of the larger angled balconies. Spent some time counting cabins and realized that the large white davit that holds the lifeboat was directly in front of that cabin. That is probably one of the cabins with a 75% restricted view.

Called and switched to 6160 which looks like it is just before the lifeboats start and would have a totally unobstructed view looking forward.

Who knows. Will probably change again as actual reports and pictures start coming in.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

More lifeboat photos. Unfortunately can't determine where some of them are located. Hope that they aren't considered too much of an issue for people.

Keep us posted.

4dcf000a36dfd06416af6f266c5f2b26.jpg

Thanks Lloyd,

That's exactly what I was talking about. Most of the balconies won't be that bad but the ones with the davits in front of them look terrible.

Not sure what the pricing is like for these cabins on other cruises but on ours the DO was the same as any of the insides or outsides. Even if we can't make full use of the balcony it was still a no-brainier as its a larger cabin. It was about $1000 for us upgrade to a regular balcony.

Cabin 6160 - 50% from what RCCL rep told me. From the pics it's not looking that way :o

No way the rep could know this. I had to call and have them change my preprinted luggage tags last week. We had previously changed staterooms back the end of August and my luggage tags were showing the wrong deck and wrong room # for our upcoming Allure cruise. The rep looked at it and says she doesn't see where there is a room # on the luggage tag. I had to explain to her that the big 9 was the floor and scroll down to see the 3 numbers and that was the room number LOL.

She thanked me and after a couple of times on hold (where she had to ask someone else how to do this, I assume) and the luggage tags were correct the next day.

My point is, most of the RCI reps are not familiar with the ships or even cruising for that matter. I heard they hired a lot of new reps, right after the 1st BOGOHO sale, due to heavy call volume.

Go Figure!!

I didn't think they would know so I have it a shot and called anyways. He placed be on a brief hold and came back with an answer. So who knows I guess I'll find out soon lol

No way the rep could know this. I had to call and have them change my preprinted luggage tags last week. We had previously changed staterooms back the end of August and my luggage tags were showing the wrong deck and wrong room # for our upcoming Allure cruise. The rep looked at it and says she doesn't see where there is a room # on the luggage tag. I had to explain to her that the big 9 was the floor and scroll down to see the 3 numbers and that was the room number LOL.

She thanked me and after a couple of times on hold (where she had to ask someone else how to do this, I assume) and the luggage tags were correct the next day.

My point is, most of the RCI reps are not familiar with the ships or even cruising for that matter. I heard they hired a lot of new reps, right after the 1st BOGOHO sale, due to heavy call volume.

Go Figure!!

I didn't think they would know so I have it a shot and called anyways. He placed be on a brief hold and came back with an answer. So who knows I guess I'll find out soon lol

I'm sure that someone in the design team has put notes into the cabin information that only the reps can see that states the amount of obstruction. Given that they have so far only mentioned 50% and 75% they are really generalizing. Your right there is no way the reps would have first hand knowledge and most never will. They are relying on what the system shows.

We have the next to last balcony forward on deck 8 which looks to be a cove balcony, so should have unobstructed views when at the rail, and they still informed me that it was 75% obstructed;)

I have 8112. Other than the rounded balcony hole (which provides more privacy), I don't see how it's all that obstructed. I'm excited about it. :)

I'm sure that someone in the design team has put notes into the cabin information that only the reps can see that states the amount of obstruction. Given that they have so far only mentioned 50% and 75% they are really generalizing. Your right there is no way the reps would have first hand knowledge and most never will. They are relying on what the system shows.

We booked our obstructed view balcony on the RCI website and each cabin had a percentage assigned to it either 50 or 75%. How accurate this is, anyone guess :)

We booked our obstructed view balcony on the RCI website and each cabin had a percentage assigned to it either 50 or 75%. How accurate this is, anyone guess :)

Where are you seeing this. I have done several mock bookings on both Quantum and Anthem or various dates as well as my actual booking and I do not see the % listed. It just says "note: obstructed view".

Any %'s have as far as I know been given by RCI's reps.

Where are you seeing this. I have done several mock bookings on both Quantum and Anthem or various dates as well as my actual booking and I do not see the % listed. It just says "note: obstructed view".

Any %'s have as far as I know been given by RCI's reps.

Hi

View available obstructed balconies to book then there is an option to the right to 'view this stateroom' or something similar which shows its position on the deck plan.

When this window opens its says something like 'stateroom features' and the percentage of obstruction is the second item down from memory.

Its like that on the UK version of the site anyway.

Hi

View available obstructed balconies to book then there is an option to the right to 'view this stateroom' or something similar which shows its position on the deck plan.

When this window opens its says something like 'stateroom features' and the percentage of obstruction is the second item down from memory.

Its like that on the UK version of the site anyway.

Thanks. More differences between the US and the UK site.

I love the UK site as it will show up to 50 available cabins in a category as opposed to the US site that shows 15.

Edit. Worked great. Was able to see the obstructions. My old cabin 6562 was listed as 75% obstructed while the new one 6160 is only listed as 50% and looking at the photos I think that it is less than that.

Edited by Ourusualbeach

I'm thinking the same as you. From the exterior photos so far it appears to be worse on Quantum.

I had 6562 booked which was one of the larger angled balconies. Spent some time counting cabins and realized that the large white davit that holds the lifeboat was directly in front of that cabin. That is probably one of the cabins with a 75% restricted view.

Called and switched to 6160 which looks like it is just before the lifeboats start and would have a totally unobstructed view looking forward.

Who knows. Will probably change again as actual reports and pictures start coming in.

I have 6562 and originally was told 50%. Now with the latest pictures Lloyd posted it certainly looks more than that. The steel holding the lifeboat appears to be directly in front of the balcony. I just called Royal and asked about the obstruction for this balcony...now they tell me 75%!:rolleyes: To make matters worse, there are no triple cabins available at all. Very disappointed....as from judging the photos, the obstruction should be listed at 99%.:rolleyes:

I have 6562 and originally was told 50%. Now with the latest pictures Lloyd posted it certainly looks more than that. The steel holding the lifeboat appears to be directly in front of the balcony. I just called Royal and asked about the obstruction for this balcony...now they tell me 75%!:rolleyes: To make matters worse, there are no triple cabins available at all. Very disappointed....as from judging the photos, the obstruction should be listed at 99%.:rolleyes:

Totally agree. Those cabins with the day it's directly in front do look more than the 75% obstructed. I was looking forward to the larger balcony but not at the expense of having no view.