Cell Phones At Sea

pbo258

Would anyone be able to recommending a SIM card that works at Sea? I have a up to date unlocked phone and looking to see what SIM cards work at Sea. I know some of the crew use a company called Wireless Maritime Services. These cards are only available for the crew as I understand. But do work in a unlocked phone at sea only.

Would anyone be able to recommending a SIM card that works at Sea? I have a up to date unlocked phone and looking to see what SIM cards work at Sea. I know some of the crew use a company called Wireless Maritime Services. These cards are only available for the crew as I understand. But do work in a unlocked phone at sea only.

To use a cell at sea , you'll need to have an account with a land based provider that supports international roaming. You can't just buy a SIM card for Cell at Sea. Basically unless the phone is registered with a provider like ATT or Verizon you'll not be able to cell at sea. They need a company to send the charges to.

• 1 year later...

I'm sorry about dragging up this old thread but I am now in need of advice.

For several years I have used a pre-paid phone and it suited my needs fine, except that I had no service on-board ships and in many ports. For our cruise in November I will need to keep in closer contact with home.

My research shows that I need to have "Wireless Maritime Services." I guess that I need to find a provider that offers WMS. I'm not interested in paying a large bill every month to a cell phone company since I don't use my cell phone for a lot of calling/texting/data.

Can those of you who are in a similar situation to mine recommend a company/plan that provides WMS without having to pay $50+ a month for minutes etc. that I don't need long-term.

Thanks for any advice.

For your Carnival Pride cruise? How much calling are you going to do?

Regular cell service is $2.49/minute when connecting to the ship's tower.

But calling from your cabin is only 99c.

Edited by SadieN

Are you sure about that 99c figure. I had always been told that when you are at sea, you connect to the ship's tower and pay their rate regardless of where you are on the ship.

DON

I'm sorry about dragging up this old thread but I am now in need of advice.

For several years I have used a pre-paid phone and it suited my needs fine, except that I had no service on-board ships and in many ports. For our cruise in November I will need to keep in closer contact with home.

My research shows that I need to have "Wireless Maritime Services." I guess that I need to find a provider that offers WMS. I'm not interested in paying a large bill every month to a cell phone company since I don't use my cell phone for a lot of calling/texting/data.

Can those of you who are in a similar situation to mine recommend a company/plan that provides WMS without having to pay $50+ a month for minutes etc. that I don't need long-term.

Thanks for any advice.

WMS is a company that provides cell service to cruise lines.

What you need is a company that lets you pay for service by the month (not pay as you go) . Then you'll need to a plan from then that is compatible with WMS.

Basically your pay as you go phone won't work outside the continental US.

Are you sure about that 99c figure. I had always been told that when you are at sea, you connect to the ship's tower and pay their rate regardless of where you are on the ship.

DON

Cabin phone. DH had had to call clients on many Carnival cruises.

Yes, this would be for our Carnival Pride cruise. Right now I have a Pay-as-you-go plan with T-Mobile but I'm not really happy with their coverage. I've looked at a plan thru another company that offers plans as low as $10 a month but they don't seem to offer Wireless Maritime Services.

I would like to be able to call home daily including while at sea. I know I would be using roaming and that's okay. I really just want a phone/cell company that allows me to call from on-board the ship and while in foreign ports even if I have to pay more per minute.

Edited to say: thanks for all who are chiming in. Anyone else who can provide info - it would be appreciated.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by seadrifter

Yes, this would be for our Carnival Pride cruise. Right now I have a Pay-as-you-go plan with T-Mobile but I'm not really happy with their coverage. I've looked at a plan thru another company that offers plans as low as $10 a month but they don't seem to offer Wireless Maritime Services.

I would like to be able to call home daily including while at sea. I know I would be using roaming and that's okay. I really just want a phone/cell company that allows me to call from on-board the ship and while in foreign ports even if I have to pay more per minute.

Edited to say: thanks for all who are chiming in. Anyone else who can provide info - it would be appreciated.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

As stated earlier

Does it HAVE to be a cell phone?

Why not just call from your cabin phone. The prices are now down to about 99 cents a minute.

No longer the $10 a minute

As stated earlier

Does it HAVE to be a cell phone?

Why not just call from your cabin phone. The prices are now down to about 99 cents a minute.

No longer the $10 a minute

I did check the Carnival website where it states that the rate is $1.99 per minute to call Ship-to-Shore. Calling Shore-to-Ship is not permitted except to a 1-800 number in a "true emergency."

I would like my family to be able to call me even though it might not be a true emergency. There is a health situation with regard to my mother that I would like to be kept up-to-date on. Just trying to plan ahead:).

I will continue to look for a cell plan that allows me to keep in touch with home and isn't excessively expensive. I only use my pre-paid phone occasionally but would like the ability to keep in touch while cruising.

Thanks for everybody's help.

I did check the Carnival website where it states that the rate is $1.99 per minute to call Ship-to-Shore. Calling Shore-to-Ship is not permitted except to a 1-800 number in a "true emergency."

I would like my family to be able to call me even though it might not be a true emergency. There is a health situation with regard to my mother that I would like to be kept up-to-date on. Just trying to plan ahead:).

I will continue to look for a cell plan that allows me to keep in touch with home and isn't excessively expensive. I only use my pre-paid phone occasionally but would like the ability to keep in touch while cruising.

Thanks for everybody's help.

have you looked into renting a satellite phone?

I wouldn't recommend going to a T-Mobile postpaid account just for the cruise. For some reason this cruise ship rate is double what othe r carriers charge. Five or six dollars a minute. However, with T-Mobile postpaid you can call from most of the islands (not the Bahamas) for 20 cents a minute.