private transfer from Heathrow to Canterbury: please help!

poss

I've just had a note from the fellow's wife that the man who was to drive us has suddenly died. The company is dissolving (it was only two people), and she's asked that customers please find another service. As our cruise is coming up before long (arriving Heathrow Sept. 11), I'm eager to get something else lined up asap. Hoping that CC can suggest some other companies for me to contact. (I had a list once-- a number of months ago-- but I tossed it thinking it no longer necessary. The other cmpanies that I called were all at least $75 more expensive, but I'll have to take what I can get at this late point.)

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for the suggestion, Henry. I called the company (didn't ask for anyone in particular) and learned that the cost was literally triple what my other transfer was to have been. I need to find something more in line with the other quote. Thanks, though.

I have read great reviews about Harry Norman, and his prices seem reasonable. Please tell me that's not who you had planned to use; he looks like such a nice man on his website.

If we were talking about Scotland, I'd have a personal recommendation for an incredible guide.

Pam: The fellow we'd been set with was Bob Newton with Direct Link. It was reassuring to us to go with that company since the Canterbury Cathedral Lodge (where we'll be staying before the cruise from Dover) has used that gentleman for years and all rave about him. Plus, he was a good deal less expensive than other companies I'd called. A bummer all around (obviously, most gravely for the family).

Where had you heard of Harry Norman? Does he have a toll-free telephone number in the U.S.? Or can you give me his e-mail address? do you know anyone who's used him personally? Have you set up a transfer with him?

Thanks!

Hi Wendy,

The chap who died wasn't Frank Gelder; 'twas a gentleman named Bob Newton (see my post above to Pam). Portcullis, by the way, seems to have changed hands. What used to be Frank Gelder's company now seems to be called ICS, and the man I was in touch with there is named Andrew Payne. Do you happen to know that name? And Mark Roberts seems to be the name now connected with the company called Portcullis. Does that name ring a bell? And where the famous Frank is, I don't know. In any case, both those companies, I believe, cost considerably more than Direct Link, but as their fellow countryman Robert Browning once said, "Beggars can't be choosers." If you have any more knowledge of the present state of affairs with any of these companies, information much appreciated. Thanks, Wendy!

Poss, somebody who posts here and on some other travel boards talked about Harry Norman. I don't have her email address, sorry.

I hope this is allowed, it's a link to the man's website. If Hubs and I had gone to London next spring, we were planning to be in touch with him, but right now I think we are going to Edinburgh instead.

http://www.cruising-america.com/londontours/harry.html

Hi there

We traveled from Heathrow to Canterbury in June and used Portcullis. And I was sooo glad I did. Our flight stood on the tarmac for 1.5 hours and it took us about an hour to clear immigration.

We were 2.5 hours late and I was sure our driver wouldn't be there. Guess what? He was there! Mark I think is now the guy who runs Portcullis. He drove us to Canterbury as well.

Car was nice, service great. Sure a bit on the pricey side...but what in Europe isn't.

I give them an A for service and dependibility.

Archived