Taxi from Rome airport to city centre?

ellie1145

Has anyone had experience of using a taxi from the airport (Leonard's da Vinci) to a hotel in Rome?

Are they safe to use or do they try to rip you off?

Any advice welcome - we arrive quite late, around 9.00 PM

Many thanks!

For once, I must disagree with euro cruiser. One of the FCO airport taxi drivers did TRY to rip me off.

We had 4 people going from FCO to our hotel within the Aurelian walls and therefore within the fixed fare zone. As we were getting ready to put our suitcases in the taxi, I told the driver our destination and pointed to the large sign on the wall near the taxi queue. The sign indicated the correct fare (at the time) of 45 euros. He said in broken English that he would use meter due to our party having 4 people. I insisted not, as the sign indicated the fixed fare was valid for 4.

When we were all in the taxi, he turned on the meter. Arriving at the destination, I noted that the meter fare was about 55 euros. I allowed him to take all of the luggage out of the car and instructed everyone else to get out of the car. He then asked me for 55 euros. I handed him 45 euros and told him that was the fixed fare. He started yelling loudly at us, and I just told everyone in my family to walk away. Embarrassing, but I knew he couldn't do anything about it.

I have to agree that there are drivers who will try to rip you off. On our first trip to Rome we decided to book a private car. We chose Rome In Limo because of their excellent reviews. We were told that they would be waiting for us with a placard with our name on it, the driver would speak excellent English and that the car would be large enough to accommodate three suitcases. We got to Rome and immediately spotted a nice looking young man holding a sign with our name on it. I was a little concerned as he spoke little or no English but then we followed him to his car and it was a very small sports car. He ended up putting two of our suitcases in the front seat because there wasn't enough room in the trunk. When we arrived at our hotel he did honor the price that we had contracted with Rome in Limo but after thinking it over I am sure he spotted our driver at the airport, wrote up his own sign using our name (our name is short--only 4 letters) and stood right at the front of the crowd of drivers so we would spot him first. I have always felt guilty as I am sure we stood up our Rome in Limo driver.

Fast forward to our next trip to Rome, we decided not to book a driver and just get a taxi at the airport. We were aware of the fixed rate but did not discuss it with the driver before getting into the car (our mistake). When we arrived at our hotel (right at the Pantheon) sure enough, he wanted 55 euro. DH did not want to argue so he paid it but next time we will not get into the cab until it is clear that he will charge the fixed price.

Good luck. It pays to know the rules and to discuss them in advance.

When it comes to taxis like most places around the world there are drivers who will take you directly to where you want to go and others who rip you off so no one can promise you what your experience will be like.

My suggestion is to get a private car.

We use Rome Cabs (not a taxi company) and their web site is http://www.romecabs.com

Keith

Alternatively take the Leonardo Express train (30 minute frequency) from the Airport to Roma Termini station then taxi or Metro Linea A or Linea B to your Hotel. Your hotel website will have HOW TO GET THERE instructions by public transport from the FCO Airport .

It's a fixed rate from the airport to the centre of Rome. It has already been stated it is 48 Euros, so just make it clear to the driver that you know that. There are also signs up at the taxi stand with the prices written on.

Exactly. That's just what we did last fall. We made it very clear we were going to a hotel in the Centro Storico, and we mentioned the fixed rate. Interestingly, the first driver quoted us a higher rate. We did not get into his cab, and the dispatcher tried to tell us there was a different group of cabs charging a higher rate, something like that, even though we were standing right under the taxi stand sign with the fixed rate. I can't recall now exactly what he said, but he then put us in a cab for the correct fixed rate. The driver was terrific and we'd take a cab from the airport again.

As others have stated, just be sure you make it clear to the driver you know the fixed rate.

The last time we were in Rome it was the taxi driver himself that pointed out the sign with the official rate. There are rogue taxi drivers everywhere in the world, but if you go forearmed knowing the correct fare you are already at an advantage.

There are so many negative people who think they are going to be robbed wherever they go. My attitude is have the details that you need and you already have an advantage.