Leaving the ship in santorini

Cruise Junky

We're looking at a cruise that second to last stop is Santorini. Does anyone have any experience with leaving the ship there? I know the risks, tender port and that I have to call the cruiseline. Just wondered if anyone has done it and if there were any issues.

Thanks.

Have fun schleping all your luggage on the cable car (or donkeys!) :D

:) I know...we were just talking about that. Can't remember which cruise it was on but when we saw people embarking in Santorini they did it from the base of the Cable car. We'll be packing light :)

That's actually a great idea given its at the end of the cruise. You can enjoy the view as the ships (with all their passengers) sail away and you can see a different side of Santorini.

Yeah, I'm hoping it works out. It's for my 50th and we've been debating cruise or land trip. This looks like a perfect combination of the two.

:) I know...we were just talking about that. Can't remember which cruise it was on but when we saw people embarking in Santorini they did it from the base of the Cable car. We'll be packing light :)

Packing light? I hope you mean that you'll only have a back pack. I'd love to spend more than a day in Santorini but I think I'd try to fly in. Have fun. It's spectacular.

Packing light? I hope you mean that you'll only have a back pack. I'd love to spend more than a day in Santorini but I think I'd try to fly in. Have fun. It's spectacular.

Hmmm no I'm not a backpack kind of girl. I asked the same question on the Oceania board and there's been some good discussion about a speedboat that takes you to where the tours load. We will probably be able to avoid the cable cars altogether. Love Santorini, we've been twice and can't wait to spend a couple of days.

Hmmm no I'm not a backpack kind of girl. I asked the same question on the Oceania board and there's been some good discussion about a speedboat that takes you to where the tours load. We will probably be able to avoid the cable cars altogether. Love Santorini, we've been twice and can't wait to spend a couple of days.

The speedboat to Oia is what you're talking about. It will take you to the point closest to Oia where you will get on a bus and will be taken up to Oia. There are signs when you get off the tender showing you where to get the speedboat.

We're looking at a cruise that second to last stop is Santorini. Does anyone have any experience with leaving the ship there? I know the risks, tender port and that I have to call the cruiseline. Just wondered if anyone has done it and if there were any issues.

Thanks.

I did this last month on a Celebrity ship and it was a bit of a problem. They let the people who had booked tours through Celebrity off the ship first with result that we had to wait almost an hour to get on the tender. When we got off the tender there was a huge queue for the cable car with no shade. After queuing for a few minutes with little movement we decided to go with the alternative option, which I would recommend, which was a motorboat(they call it a speedboat but it wasn't) and coach to Oia and back to Fira. In high season there can also be long queues for the cable on the way down.

Having said all that, it's all worthwhile as Santorini is utterly fabulous. Finally, don't be tempted to go up to Fira by donkey. Not only is it probably cruel but there have been a number of instances of people's legs being grazed and crushed between the donkey and the cliff wall

I did this last month on a Celebrity ship and it was a bit of a problem. They let the people who had booked tours through Celebrity off the ship first with result that we had to wait almost an hour to get on the tender. When we got off the tender there was a huge queue for the cable car with no shade. After queuing for a few minutes with little movement we decided to go with the alternative option, which I would recommend, which was a motorboat(they call it a speedboat but it wasn't) and coach to Oia and back to Fira. In high season there can also be long queues for the cable on the way down.

Having said all that, it's all worthwhile as Santorini is utterly fabulous. Finally, don't be tempted to go up to Fira by donkey. Not only is it probably cruel but there have been a number of instances of people's legs being grazed and crushed between the donkey and the cliff wall

I can just picture me on a donkey carrying my suitcase :) I think the boat is definitely the way to go and I'll be contacting the hotel beforehand about sending a car. They do arrange transportation for the airport, I'll see if they offer to pick up from wherever the boat leaves me.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a couple FYI things in case it helps: I noticed that there is a charge for luggage on the cable car, so apparently you CAN bring it!

I was a little alarmed to see a review of the motorboat trip to Oia on Trip Advisor. While it might be an isolated incident, it took someone two hours to get up to Oia, between waiting for a speedboat that didn't come promptly and likewise for the bus up to the town of Oia. Of course, it was in peak season (August) and that may not have helped things. I haven't seen the discussion on the Oceania board, but I assume the folks there are talking about the same boat - operated by the Union Boatmen of Santorini or something like that. I guess if you have several days on the island, a delay wouldn't be critical, but reading the review scared me a little, as I am considering taking the boat to get to Oia rather than the cable car and then bus. Of course, it might be an isolated incident.

I did run across a boat that could be hired for up to 12 people to go from the tender location below Fira to the dock below Oia, although I don't think any transportation up the cliff is provided (!) so you would have to figure something else out with luggage. The link is https://www.santorini.com/sailing/anemos-boat/ There were no prices on the site, but a form to fill out for questions/reservations.

Edited by roothy123

We got married on Santorini!!! We then took a private tour of the island and lunch at a wonderful restaurant near the airport named Gallini.

Here is the problem with the cable car: do the math: there are 6 cars and each car holds 6 people, so that is 36 people per trip. Can you imagine when a 2000 passenger ship is there??

Interesting thread. We assume Cruise junky has all their answers but will post some info. If you want to leave a cruise early (before the final port) it is often possible in Europe, but you need to contact the cruise line (in advance of the cruise) and make the request. Some have a written form and others just handle it over the phone. You should also follow-up once aboard by notifying Guest Relations.

As to Santorini, the only way to get up from the tender pier is by Donkey or the Cable Car. A boat is also possible but not the norm for most folks. If you are staying in Oia you might be able to arrange for a boat to Oia and then a taxi (or your hotel) can meet you at that small pier since it does have a road up to the town of Oia.

I would also add that a few years ago we encouraged DD and her BF to take a week vacation to Santorini. They went on a virtually unlimited budget and fell totally in love with the island. They stayed at one of the really neat cliff-side small hotels in Oia and even had an infinity pool overlooking the cliff. I would also add that some of those neat little Oia Hotels cost nearly $1000 a night (in high season). There are plenty other places to stay for those on a budget :)

Hank