QM2 Halifax-Boston Log (July 1-5)

BlueRiband

Tuesday afternoon Partly overcast, warm, humid The car makes good time down the FDR Drive towards Brooklyn and QM2 comes into view. She’s always a magnificent sight for those of us who have sailed on her. Yet I wonder of the impressions she has on the uninitiated – is their reaction –“Oh – a big cruise ship is in town.” of “Wow – what ship is that?!” (I hope that whatever happens in 2015 doesn’t wreck her graceful pyramid shape.) She certainly makes an impression on my driver. Upon arrival at the terminal he asks where can he take some photos?

Originally I had booked a balcony guarantee in order to experience what the ship is like for the “rowers”. Having sailed before in PG I wasn’t expecting the same level of service, and PG had been sold out. As sailing approached however I became increasingly apprehensive about an experience so different than before and when a PG became available and I called Cunard to upgrade.

Check in went fast but the “rowers” line – non Grill, non Platinum or Diamond passengers – was quite long. Once on board, the first noticeable difference is the replacement of the green steamer lounger cushions with blue ones. A nice touch is the Cunard logo on the head rest. Two new things that I notice: the stewards are now in the hallway to greet arriving passengers and to introduce them. My bag arrives and a porter lifts it on the bed rather than just placing it inside. (Whether it’s improved service or he’s looking for a tip - you decide.)

Because I’m “Grills” lunch is available in the restaurant and I don’t have to deal with Kings Chaos . There is however a crew member near the aft entrance to the lido who offers hand sanitizer and directions to various places on the ship. The PG restaurant already has several passengers there. I notice Mr. and Mrs. Neck Lanyard across from me and wonder what they do with their cards on formal night. (Amazing how my own biases have me notice such silly things.) The only really bad sight is the view – a freight pier and an old warehouse covered with scaffolding.

My port side stateroom is near the aft end, and as I write this some busses arrive with later arrivals – perhaps those coming from Cunard sponsored tours or hotels. Some are carrying shopping bags are walking towards the ship – perhaps crew member on shore leave. Although it is warm there is a pleasant breeze. The VZ bridge is in the hazy distance. Sail away will be at low tide so the funnel clearance won’t be as dramatic. Tonight’s welcoming entertainment is something different – Olympic gymnast Lance Ringnald.

Tonight the dress code was Informal. At lunch most were dressed for summer travel but tonight most made an effort to dress more nicely for dinner.

At dinner Mr. and Mrs. Neck Lanyard don’t appear. My tablemates are all long time Cunarders including one couple who made the WB TA and will continue back after the ship reaches New York. Internet was not available before 7PM. Why so late I don’t know. The television listing has Channel 41 – the navigational channel but the screen shows “no signal”. The program now lists the channels and descriptions of the movies.

Hello

Thank you taking the time to share your experiences on this cruise. I have sailed on QM2 15 times, QE2 15 times, Queen Victoria twice and QE once. I looking forward to my next crossing on 8/27. I look forward to reading your next installments. I wish I was on board

Please do not take offense, but I find it incredibly annoying, insulting, snobbish and misleading to describe Britannia passengers as "Rowers." You are not alone in describing non grill passengers as such. Others describe Britannia passengers as being in "steerage" as if they are at the bottom of the barrel and hardly worthy of space on a lifeboat if the ship should encounter an emergency.

I imagine you and others are jesting but for those many people who have never taken a Cunard ship it may lead them to think that they are in a for a very substandard experience and will be treated poorly if they are not in grill cabins. It may discourage them from even trying Cunard Line. To me that is most unfortunate especially since we all know sailing on a Cunard Ship no matter in what category is a very special experience.

I wish you the very best on your trip. Take care.

Deck Chair

Edited by deck chair

Hello

Thank you taking the time to share your experiences on this cruise. I have sailed on QM2 15 times, QE2 15 times, Queen Victoria twice and QE once. I looking forward to my next crossing on 8/27. I look forward to reading your next installments.

Please do not take offense, but I find it incredibly annoying, insulting, snobbish and misleading to describe Britannia passengers as "Rowers." You are not alone in describing non grill passengers as such. Others describe Britannia passengers as being in "steerage" as if they are at the bottom of the barrel and hardly worthy of space on a lifeboat if the ship should encounter an emergency.

I imagine you and others are jesting but for those many people who have never taken a Cunard ship it may lead them to think that they are in a for a very substandard experience if they are not in grill cabins. It may discourage them from even trying Cunard Line. To me that is most unfortunate.

Deck Chair

Hi Deck Chair. Please forgive me for chiming in on a post that was not directed to me - but I am a Rower.

I use that term unreservedly, and with delight. My hope is that new passengers to Cunard understand that the expression of 'being a rower' in no way implies a substandard experience. Some of us actually prefer to book Britannia category rather than a Grill category for various reasons.

Obviously, the Grills offer more amenities than does Britannia - and for what those passengers pay, there should a distinct difference. For those to whom the difference is important, happily for them there is the Grills. Yet 85% of the passengers on QM2 are in Britannia, and we're no less for the wear :)

One has only to sail on different cruise lines to know that Britannia category is far from substandard.

Personally, I'm proud to say I've been a rower on a dozen QM2 cruises. Sorry about the slow speed, BTW, I'll just have to row faster.:D

Cheers,

Salacia The Rower

Edited to add: I take your point about those who have not sailed on Cunard ships might not understand what being a rower means, and I appreciate being the occasion to - hopefully - clarify.

Edited by Salacia

Hello Salacia

I do hope I get to meet you one day if I haven't already.....I always enjoy your postings...and now I wonder if I have danced with you in the Queens Room.

While you may be happy to be referred to as a "rower" and you clearly wear that term as a badge of honor, many people referred to as such will feel condescended to and marginalized.

My chief concern is that those unknowing people who have NOT sailed on Cunard will read postings in which writers describe non grill passengers as "steerage" and ridiculed as "rowers". They may be quite turned off and understandably so and book elsewhere. There is already a thread asking if Cunard is to snooty.

We know the differences between Grill and Britannia. There is no need to widen that gulf by insulting people in the latter.

Thanks, Salacia....

Deck Chair

Hello Salacia

I do hope I get to meet you one day if I haven't already.....I always enjoy your postings...and now I wonder if I have danced with you in the Queens Room.

While you may be happy to be referred to as a "rower" and you clearly wear that term as a badge of honor, many people referred to as such will feel condescended to and marginalized.

My chief concern is that those unknowing people who have NOT sailed on Cunard will read postings in which writers describe non grill passengers as "steerage" and ridiculed as "rowers". They may be quite turned off and understandably so and book elsewhere. There is already a thread asking if Cunard is to snooty.

We know the differences between Grill and Britannia. There is no need to widen that gulf by insulting people in the latter.

Thanks, Salacia....

Deck Chair

Hi Deck Chair. If you have two feet intact and not bloodied by your dance partner, chances we haven't danced :) On the other hand, I've met so many nice people on board, I often wonder if they were one of the considerate people - like you - who post on this board. I find it so much easier to communicate in person rather than relying on typed words.

Deck Chair, I think there is a kind of razzing that goes on between the Rowers and the Grills. All in good spirits, and a bit of fun. Parodies and satire, so to speak, but insults - no, that wouldn't work. Thank you, Deck Chair. Regards, Salacia

Tuesday afternoon Partly overcast, warm, humid The car makes good time down the FDR Drive towards Brooklyn and QM2 comes into view. She’s always a magnificent sight for those of us who have sailed on her. Yet I wonder of the impressions she has on the uninitiated – is their reaction –“Oh – a big cruise ship is in town.” of “Wow – what ship is that?!” (I hope that whatever happens in 2015 doesn’t wreck her graceful pyramid shape.) She certainly makes an impression on my driver. Upon arrival at the terminal he asks where can he take some photos?

Originally I had booked a balcony guarantee in order to experience what the ship is like for the “rowers”. Having sailed before in PG I wasn’t expecting the same level of service, and PG had been sold out. As sailing approached however I became increasingly apprehensive about an experience so different than before and when a PG became available and I called Cunard to upgrade.

Check in went fast but the “rowers” line – non Grill, non Platinum or Diamond passengers – was quite long. Once on board, the first noticeable difference is the replacement of the green steamer lounger cushions with blue ones. A nice touch is the Cunard logo on the head rest. Two new things that I notice: the stewards are now in the hallway to greet arriving passengers and to introduce them. My bag arrives and a porter lifts it on the bed rather than just placing it inside. (Whether it’s improved service or he’s looking for a tip - you decide.)

Because I’m “Grills” lunch is available in the restaurant and I don’t have to deal with Kings Chaos . There is however a crew member near the aft entrance to the lido who offers hand sanitizer and directions to various places on the ship. The PG restaurant already has several passengers there. I notice Mr. and Mrs. Neck Lanyard across from me and wonder what they do with their cards on formal night. (Amazing how my own biases have me notice such silly things.) The only really bad sight is the view – a freight pier and an old warehouse covered with scaffolding.

My port side stateroom is near the aft end, and as I write this some busses arrive with later arrivals – perhaps those coming from Cunard sponsored tours or hotels. Some are carrying shopping bags are walking towards the ship – perhaps crew member on shore leave. Although it is warm there is a pleasant breeze. The VZ bridge is in the hazy distance. Sail away will be at low tide so the funnel clearance won’t be as dramatic. Tonight’s welcoming entertainment is something different – Olympic gymnast Lance Ringnald.

Tonight the dress code was Informal. At lunch most were dressed for summer travel but tonight most made an effort to dress more nicely for dinner.

At dinner Mr. and Mrs. Neck Lanyard don’t appear. My tablemates are all long time Cunarders including one couple who made the WB TA and will continue back after the ship reaches New York. Internet was not available before 7PM. Why so late I don’t know. The television listing has Channel 41 – the navigational channel but the screen shows “no signal”. The program now lists the channels and descriptions of the movies.

The reason that the internet isn't available stems from the fact that the "internet man" has to run the passenger and cabin manifest on the computer in order to set up the billing and registration facility. Have a nice trip.

Hello

Thank you taking the time to share your experiences on this cruise. I have sailed on QM2 15 times, QE2 15 times, Queen Victoria twice and QE once. I looking forward to my next crossing on 8/27. I look forward to reading your next installments. I wish I was on board

I imagine you and others are jesting but for those many people who have never taken a Cunard ship it may lead them to think that they are in a for a very substandard experience and will be treated poorly if they are not in grill cabins. It may discourage them from even trying Cunard Line. To me that is most unfortunate especially since we all know sailing on a Cunard Ship no matter in what category is a very special experience.

Deck Chair

Hi Deck Chair, I'm on the eastbound 27th August, there is a roll call if you wish to chat to us before our trip.

Catherine

Wednesday morning, sea state slight

Whispy clouds, sunny and warm

Clocks were advanced one hour to Atlantic Time overnight and not at Noon. Just after 8AM the deck hands are setting out the longer cushions. A perfect day weather wise for the book and Kindle readers. The power walkers are already out. This continuous wrap around deck is an integral part of the QM2 experience so let’s hope this is something that does not get messed with in the years ahead. Deck crew attend to some rust below one of the Kings Court windows but it’s not exceptionally bad. Just spot sections of rust that would be expected on a steel vessel which is constantly exposed to salt water and air.

At breakfast two of my table mates are from London and are in the middle of a Grand Voyage for them. The wife cannot fly and they made the WB TA and will return on the EB TA. The layover on Tuesday allowed them their first tour of New York. Two years ago only 190 passengers were continuing with the ship after return to New York and I’ve yet to learn the number for this year. This Independence Day voyage is definitely a win-win for Cunard. Its popularity allows them to fill the ship with Americans for five days while British passengers get to spend five days in New York and do TAs both ways.

A lot of passengers are new to QM2 and some are looking for Illuminations. Bill Miller just presented his Floating Palaces talk. He’s worth an encore and has added some new images to his presentation. At 11 there’s a lecture on New York versus Boston rivalry (for me it’s just Yankees – Red Sox) and at 3PM the Business of Broadway will be presented. In my always opinionated view these are very good choices b Cunard for this voyage. I’ve decided to take some time before lunch to enjoy my balcony. The steward has not place out the lounger cushions, then I notice that the chairs and railings are damp. It was very humid overnight and moisture is coating all of the exposed surfaces.

During my quick walk though deck 2 towards Illuminations I didn’t immediately notice any evidence that the windows were leaking.

The Navigational channel is still not working – nothing but a graphic “QM2” logo turning about. I miss following the ships course and speed. Shortly we will have the Noon Navigational Announcement. According to one of the US news channels the storm coming up the SE US has developed into a tropical storm and is expected to soon become a hurricane. We may hear what impact it could have on us. It if follows its current speed and track it would reach us very early Saturday morning.

Hello

Deck Chair

No need to feel sorry for the "rowers" - those passengers who use that expression do so with a smile, often they are like myself - Cunard die- hards who book INSIDE cabins - spending less on the cabin in order to cruise more often. (I can cruise twice in an inside cabin for the cost of one cruise in the Grills)

I often refer to myself as a "rower" or "steerage" I even once called myself "a member of the great unwashed". I am a Diamond member of Cunard club.

When at 5.30 I am sitting in the Chart Room dressed in my evening finery, listening to the String Quartet, no one can tell which grade of cabin (stateroom) I am in.

... When at 5.30 I am sitting in the Chart Room dressed in my evening finery, listening to the String Quartet, no one can tell which grade of cabin (stateroom) I am in.
And those of us who appreciate being on board really don't care which cabin you're in (the younger ones couldn't care less). What matters, and will be remembered, is that you took the trouble to look great and that you look as though you delight in being on QM2.

Hi BlueRiband. Thanks for your reports. BTW, you picked a good time to be a sea - we're having a very nasty heat wave here in NY. Take a nice deep breath of that cool ocean air for me please! Cheers, -S.

We'll wave at you all on the QM as you go by (though most likely you'll be to far out to sea for us to see you). :) We live year round in Maine and have a summer home on the coast where we are now--Midcoast region, northeast of Portland. My husband says outbound from NY-Halifax you'd definitely be too far out for us to see, but on the Halifax-Boston leg you might be in closer so we could possibly see the ship. (We're doing westbound Southampton-NY on October 8th and can't wait.)

I hear there are severe thunderstorms in the NYC area tonight (July 2nd) so you are all lucky to have missed that. According to the weather forecast, Halifax should by clear tomorrow, but stormy on Thursday. I hope it's not the case, but storms are expected (Weather Channel) Thursday and Friday in Boston. But then, fireworks are not usually cancelled because of rain.

Wednesday Evening

Whispy clouds at sunset

At the writing the sun has just set behind red feathery clouds. The afternoon had been brilliant with sea birds scattering before us. A pod of four dolphins came to pay with the ship at the port side of the bow. The ocean is a deep teal, not quite deep enough to be a deep navy blue. We are close enough to land to see an occasional fishing vessel in the distance.

Most of the promenade loungers were taken up today. On the promenade deck it was “shirt sleeve” weather and very comfortable for reading, relaxing, or people watching. Aft, it was much warmer and the sunbathers were out. Six deck has an aft splash pool but it’s drained and the children’s water cannons have been removed. Maintenance, liability, who knows why? Up on the promenade deck itself a crew is working to scrape and treat a wide section of railing, and perhaps this is the rusting another poster had mentioned previously.

Tonight is formal night and in the PG about half the men are in black tie and the other half in suits. Short and long evening dresses tended to reflect age where younger women opted for short evening dresses. There is no Captain’s cocktail party (to my knowledge) as these short voyages don’t always provide the time for this.

Tonight there is a string quartet performance in the QG lounge which sounds more appealing then the “sixth year” of the standard production.

Storms indeed for Halifax Thursday.

I live on the harbour a few hundred yards from the pier; we've been advised to take our furniture off our condo balconies.

Edited by Shawnino
typo

Wednesday night

A waxing crescent moon illuminates the port aft end and shimmers over the ocean. In the distance the last light fades over the horizon. It’s become more humid and a faint halo emits from the edges of the moon. A whispy cloud cover obscures many stars but the star field is still brighter than anything seen in the city. Further forward, monitor lights can be seen through the bridge windows. For me it’s a reminder that there is always someone vigilantly watching up there. A few people stroll about the deck and take in the night time view. Sea days give one the time to appreciate the beauty of the Atlantic.

My evening ended with a recital by the Sunrise String Quartet in the QG Lounge. I’ve come to enjoy these intimate performances much more than the production shows. While the quartet does play in the Chart Room, and listed in the daily program, the after dinner recitals are announced only by table cards in the QG and PG restaurants. These are performances that I would have missed had I not upgraded to the PG. They play works by Bach, Vivaldi, Elgar, and Broadway. It’s nice to see people dressed up but then in mid-performance in walks a man wearing daytime shorts, polo, leather sandals. Within a minute he walks out again. I didn’t turn to see if he was asked to leave but I hope that is what happened – proof that having money and having manners are not necessarily linked.

After posting my update earlier this evening I noticed the news item that Boston may more up the concert and fireworks to Thursday. I relay the news to some table mates who attended the recital, and of course there is disappointment. It may work to our benefit if we can move about the city without all the road closures that normally become worse as concert time approaches.

We are due to dock in Halifax at 7AM tomorrow and we’re wanted in the theater about 30 minutes before scheduled tour times. For the moment I'll presume the tours will go ahead unless announced otherwise. I put out the room service door notice so as to avoid King’s Chaos in the morning.

Edited by BlueRiband

I'm catching up with this thread---appreciating BlueRiband's descriptions :)

and interested in Deckchair's concern regarding first-time Cunardists misunderstanding the use of "steerage" and "rower" terminology to describe Britannia passenger categories. That never occurred to me and I thank Deckchair for this insight.

My use of the term "steerage" has always been a tongue-in-cheek self-description. In the future, I will be careful to clarify it's use is cheerful jest as well as testament to my ancestral immigrants, who really did travel steerage once upon a time… I hope their ghosts can see me sailing eastward from whence they came--in style IN BRITANNIA : )

Jim's Girl: I do think one would have to be in an outside cabin to be a rower. Those of us in inside accommodations are too far from the oars to assist with rowing---So, we tend to stoke the coal furnaces, instead. Fortunately ; ) the coal furnace is very convenient to most steerage locations.

Joking aside, DH and I are very happy in an inside cabin on Cunard ships. So happy that repeat voyages have compiled into Platinum status.

We have nothing negative to say about the choice of sailing in a Grills stateroom (or that lovely people we have met who have made that choice) but we are happy in "steerage", because Britannia class is also a wonderful way to travel.

During my quick walk though deck 2 towards Illuminations I didn’t immediately notice any evidence that the windows were leaking.

BlueRiband, do you think previous talk (in a much earlier posting) about leaking windows was really about the salt accumulation on those low windows on deck 2? How dirty the windows get between the dual-panes of glass? That is what I wondered when I read the leaking-window post….

Have a wonderful time! Thank you for taking us all with you by sharing details of your voyage!

I live on the harbour a few hundred yards from the pier; we've been advised to take our furniture off our condo balconies.

Shawn, batten down the hatches.

Bit of nasty weather in NY this evening. Just to mention that have been reports of severe flooding in the tri-state area, including the Redhook area. I don't know the condition of the parking lot at the Redhook Cruise Terminal, but just a heads up for any passengers who might have parked their car there -local news showed the area experienced severe flooding. Best wishes, -S.

And those of us who appreciate being on board really don't care which cabin you're in (the younger ones couldn't care less). What matters, and will be remembered, is that you took the trouble to look great and that you look as though you delight in being on QM2.

You've got the spirit, "pmb1"...I couldn't agree with you more. Bravo !

What a wonderful city you live in !

My wife and I have visited Halifax twice, aboard QM2, and are hoping to eventually (a) return aboard the Mary, and (b) visit the city (and nearby areas) for an extended visit, not via ship.

It is a spectacular place....

I grew up in Seattle and know British Columbia very very well; it has been a delight getting to know, in a small way, the opposite end of Canada - lovely Nova Scotia !!