Melbourne, Australia

Kharvavad

We will be in Melbourne in November. We are going to do DIY. I am going to register with Free Tour in Downtown. I am still trying to find transportation to take us from port to downtown. Any ideas?

Myki card is going take long time to get it and we have to put $10 per person into it.

I wanted to book the two taxi or one van for 8 friends ahead of it so we don't have look for the two taxis at the port.

I tried couple of website for van but they didn't respond back.

Any suggestion will help.

Thank you very much in advance.

We will be in Melbourne in November. We are going to do DIY. I am going to register with Free Tour in Downtown. I am still trying to find transportation to take us from port to downtown. Any ideas?

Myki card is going take long time to get it and we have to put $10 per person into it.

I wanted to book the two taxi or one van for 8 friends ahead of it so we don't have look for the two taxis at the port.

Myki takes minutes not "a long time" but for a single days visit a standard Myki or a visitors Myki is not exactly good value

http://ptv.vic.gov.au/tickets/myki/myki-visitor-value-pack/

Private transfer would be more reliable than a taxi and you could book both your pick up and return drives. I have used Southern Cross VHA for my airport trips several times now and they arrived exactly on time with nice drivers and lovely vehicles. You could ask them to be at the pier with a sign with your name on it so you can easily see them.

http://www.vha.com.au They have vans on their website as well as cars.

PS - the terminology "downtown" does not exist in Aus. Use "CBD" meaning the central business district or city centre to ensure if you are asking for directions or getting into taxis where english is generally not their first language - they will have a clue where you are looking for.

Is the "free tour" you are talking about an organised one or are you just getting on the free city circle tram to do a loop ? Melbourne is a very walkable city.

Edited by PerfectlyPerth

You can buy a ticket at the port for the tram into town. When we docked the crowds were such that they just waved everyone onto the tram and didn't worry about tickets at all. Don't miss the markets and the Museum.

Getting into the city from the port is very easy. When we sailed in last year there was a shuttle bus that loaded passengers just outside the terminal building, we were asked to use the shuttle rather than take the tram because of the congestion with the Peak Hour. The shuttle is only one way as it only runs during the morning Peak Hour. After that the tram is the way to go. The tram is a short walk from the ship, someone will point you in the right direction.

We were able to get a MYKI in the terminal building and were able to put money on it at the train station as we decided to go to Puffing Billy by ourselves on public transport and had to top it up. It did not take very long to get the MYKI or to reload it. We used the MYKI to pay for the shuttle.

In the terminal building there are volunteer greeters who are very helpful and will discuss with you where you want to go and how to get there. Then if you get lost in the city you just have to look for another volunteer dressed like those in the terminal on many of the CBD corners and ask for help.

The Public Transport PTV meet all cruise ships in the terminal and sell a One Day Visitors pack including a discounted One Day MYKI valid for travel on both trams, trains and buses. For large boats or multiple cruise boats in port the # 109 Light rail service is supplemented with express buses departing also from the Light rail terminus at Port Melbourne.

Walk to the end of Station Pier and look slightly to the right and you will see the Light Rail Terminus that will have you up town in the CBD in 10 minutes. Tram # 109 showing a destination of BOX HILL (which is other side of City CBD.)

To return to Port Melbourne take a # 109 tram anywhere in Collins St showing the destination as PORT MELBOURNE .

Your MYKI is valid for all day travel on buses , trams and trains . To get to the Royal Melbourne Zoo take an UPFIELD line train from Southern Cross station (cnr Collins & Spencers Sts) to ROYAL PARK station .

Simple MYKI rules. For trams you only need to touch on, for trains touch on on entering the platform and touch off when you get off at your destination station . Easy peasy.

Edited by kuldalai

You can buy a ticket at the port for the tram into town. When we docked the crowds were such that they just waved everyone onto the tram and didn't worry about tickets at all. Don't miss the markets and the Museum.

You may well have been in the past, but as of Aug 10 there is a very strict campaign now cracking down on fare evasion with on the spot fares.

http://ptv.vic.gov.au/freeloaders/

So best not to give visitors the impression they can simply hop on without a MYKI.

You may well have been in the past, but as of Aug 10 there is a very strict campaign now cracking down on fare evasion with on the spot fares.

http://ptv.vic.gov.au/freeloaders/

So best not to give visitors the impression they can simply hop on without a MYKI.

Did I tell them to hop on without buying tickets?

Did I not tell them where to buy tickets?

I simply related my experience.

Why are you telling them that the worst they will get is an "on the spot fare"

That's hardly a deterrent.

If you are caught riding without a validated Myki (i:e: you have touched on before boarding) it is now a $ 75 on the spot fine only payable by Credit Card . Otherwise you get issued with a TIN Transport Infringement Notice that will cost you several hundreds dollars .

Myki takes minutes not "a long time" but for a single days visit a standard Myki or a visitors Myki is not exactly good value

http://ptv.vic.gov.au/tickets/myki/myki-visitor-value-pack/

Private transfer would be more reliable than a taxi and you could book both your pick up and return drives. I have used Southern Cross VHA for my airport trips several times now and they arrived exactly on time with nice drivers and lovely vehicles. You could ask them to be at the pier with a sign with your name on it so you can easily see them.

http://www.vha.com.au They have vans on their website as well as cars.

PS - the terminology "downtown" does not exist in Aus. Use "CBD" meaning the central business district or city centre to ensure if you are asking for directions or getting into taxis where english is generally not their first language - they will have a clue where you are looking for.

Is the "free tour" you are talking about an organised one or are you just getting on the free city circle tram to do a loop ? Melbourne is a very walkable city.

Thank you very much for your respond.

I will try to contact them today.

It is very good suggestion for Downtown (CBD). I will remember that.

"Free Tour" is organized one. They don't register in advance. We just have to go there on time.

Hema

Did I tell them to hop on without buying tickets?

Did I not tell them where to buy tickets?

I simply related my experience.

Why are you telling them that the worst they will get is an "on the spot fare"

That's hardly a deterrent.

You were suggesting breaking a law - while all I did was make a tiny typo on an iphone. Get over yourself !

Yes its an on the spot fine and its a card only one - no cash accepted. and yes its a major crack down - to the point where in the past week I have been seeing up to 6 ticket inspectors per tram each day. Its in overdrive and a huge cruiseship worth of passengers would be a big day for them.

• 2 months later...

Melbourne is an easy city to get around using public transport but I suspect too few visitors make the effort to visit everyday places (as I try to when I'm overseas). Fare evasion is rampant in Melbourne and the authorised officers (ticket inspectors) have a difficult job to do. Generally speaking, genuinely confused visitors (who might have caught the wrong vehicle for instance) shouldn't expect the same heavy handed treatment that's often applied in the USA and other countries. The trip into Melbourne CBD on the 109 light rail is short but quite pleasant. I'm impressed with the people above who did the Puffing Billy trip using public transport all the way.

in the past week I have been seeing up to 6 ticket inspectors per tram each day.

Wow, that's interesting. I get to MEL at least 6 times a year for several years now and practically live on the trams, and have never seen a single inspector. My colleague is on a plane back from MEL right now, I'll have to ask her if she saw any. It always surprised me that I had never seen an inspector.

Am I right in saying that to get into Melbourne on the tram I will have to pay to get into Melbourne and back to the port AND I will have to pay $6 dollars for a card?

I obviously know that I'll have to pay tram fare but a card as well?!

Wow, that's interesting. I get to MEL at least 6 times a year for several years now and practically live on the trams, and have never seen a single inspector. My colleague is on a plane back from MEL right now, I'll have to ask her if she saw any. It always surprised me that I had never seen an inspector.

Since August with the new fines - yes. Have seen them get on even the most fully packed solid tram - one guy per door - all squeezing on - followed rapidly by all those who havent tapped on - speedily squeezing off and out!

Yes Rams you have to buy the actual MYKI card as well.

Someone posted a few days ago that there will be people at the port when a ship docks - handing out free cards to use.

There are collection boxes at hotels and airports for partially used cards so they get collected and reused.

Obviously the goal would be for the State Govt to come up with a workable solution for day visitors and short term visitors - but has it has yet to do so - thems the breaks.

I remember about this time last year having dilemma's about the same thing - and trying to get my head around MYKI - and feeling confused. Loads of help from CC posters. How was our problem solved? Straight to the hotel - bought the MYKI visitor pack - which is loaded with maps and things - and off we went. No problems. We didn't have to put any money on it - only the cost of the package - (which included the card loaded for the routes specified - for the time specified) Please note - ours was for 24 hours. Most cruise ships do a transfer into town - why not book that - saves hassle. IMHO

There are 4 of us on Princess in February looking for a private tour in Melbourne. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks

Nancy

It really depends on you interests, like any city there is a lot to do and see wineries, zoos, historical sites, gardens, train rides, shopping, art galleries to name just a few.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there an easy way to figure out the cost for a taxi? We too plan on doing the "free tour" with another couple and would prefer just to use the taxi services. As we likely will go our separate ways after the tour we will then just find our own way back.

snow bunny

Despite what you might read, Melbourne is a mostly friendly multi cultural city and is easy to get around on public transport. What date are you in Melbourne? I'd be happy to meet you and show you some of our city. Feel free to make contact off list. Paul (in Melbourne).

I am another one struggling to figure out the myki card! AND I lived in Melbourne half my life :o I don't think the "visitor pack" really suits us, as we don't need all those extra "discounts" etc. We are doing 2 back to back cruises Auckland to Sydney and back to Auckland, so will have a total of 3 days in Melbourne.

Our plan is to do the "nostalgia" thing, and travel on the trams back to see our old schools, go to the Shrine, the Vic Markets, lots of places we remember....so only need "something" to pay the tram fare! I ~think~ the myki money is probably better for us than the myki pass? Does anyone know if they would be sold at the Port? I was thinking of buying them online so we would have them as soon as we got off the ship....I am sure we will work out how to top the cards up.....eventually......any ideas what would be best for us? "Someone" also said in another post, that on the trams you only have to swipe your card to get on....not to get off......what I read seems to say you have to do it both ways? Poor old Granny is getting confused! :confused:

Hi granny, this Melbourne granny is also totally confused with myki.

However, the last couple of weeks I have had to use it and it isn't as scary as it sounds.

If you are a granny then perhaps you are also a seniors card holder. If that is the case you can buy a seniors myki that will cost a max of $3.90 for the day. I would put $12 on when you get your first myki at a cost of I think $3 for the actual card. The $12 will cover the 3 days you are in Melbourne. For those not on a seniors myki I think the daily max is something like $10 or $11.

I have used it on trams, trains and a bus and no problem, I just make sure that it actually scans, it will tell you that you are swiping on and swiping off.

Yes the tram only needs to be swiped on. If you are a senior then travel on Saturday and Sunday is free, but for some reason you still need to have enough credit on the card for the trip as if it did get charged. I have no idea how or why but that is what I was told when purchasing the myki.

I had $5 on the card, swiped on and off at each destination and the balance remained at $5. It tells you the remaining balance when swiping off.

Hope this helps

Hi granny, this Melbourne granny is also totally confused with myki.

thanks Tara Jane. I have a Seniors Health card, so think I am entitled to the concession, but the other half hasn't got one, so he will have to pay full price.......its probably best if I try to buy them online, so we don't have to mess around once we get to the Port. We have similar cards here in Queensland, and have them topped up automatically when they get down to about $10.....I thought the myki had to be $20....but will read more!!

People 60 and over should be aware that the seniors' myki (with an S code) is only available to Victorian seniors' card holders.

Seniors from other states (and other concession card holders) should have a "concession" myki (with a C code). The concession myki does not offer free travel on Saturdays or Sundays or the $3.90 daily cap. Just normal concession fares.

A normal adult myki does not have a code shown on it.

Paul in Melbourne

People 60 and over should be aware that the seniors' myki (with an S code) is only available to Victorian seniors' card holders.

Seniors from other states (and other concession card holders) should have a "concession" myki (with a C code). The concession myki does not offer free travel on Saturdays or Sundays or the $3.90 daily cap. Just normal concession fares.

A normal adult myki does not have a code shown on it.

Paul in Melbourne

oh dear....more confusion! LOL.....I DID read ~somewhere~ that there was a different card for Victorians so I will just get the "normal" concession card. Will try to buy the cards today online. Pentridge is closed now isn't it? (just in case I buy the wrong one)

Fare evasion is rampant in Melbourne and costs the state dearly. Cruise ship passengers arriving at Port Melbourne will immediately appreciate that Australia is in a bad way and Melbourne is suffering badly. Expect yo see lots of beggars. So you probably won't end up in prison but expect to pay the price if caught without a valid ticket. Anyone from Queensland will know ticket inspectors in that state take no nonsense so Victoria isn't too different.