Chile Entry Fee For US Citizens

Keith1010

I understand that the entry fee for United States citizens is $100.00. Can this fee be paid in US dollars or does it need to be paid in local currency? Also, can the fee be charged with a credit card?

Keith

We where in Chile last March.It must be paid in U.S. dollars .NO CREDIT CARDS CASH ONLY.Have your money ready when you disembark the plain.

The entry fee is $100 US Dollars, CASH, per person. We had to pay it at the airport in Santiago before passing through their immigration check point. I think there are old posts here which address the entry fee issue for those persons arriving by ship and I don't recall how that is handled.

This is for USA citizens. The amount differs for Canadians and Europeans. Check with your local Chilian embassy for the specifics prior to departure, as the fee has changed recently.

Cash only, per person, and you must pay it as soon as you leave the plane (prior to going through immigration/customs), so be sure you have the money on you...not packed.

This "reciprocity fee" is to get back at Americans as we charge Chilean citizens the same amount to come into the U.S. When we increase our fees, the Chileans will do the same. And the same goes for Brazil. If you land in Buenos Aires and have to change planes in Sao Paulo like I did, don't even think about leaving the airport or you will be charged - and there is nothing to do in the airport. Yuck.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Royal Princess in Jan. If you enter Chile via ship you do not pay the fee. It is only collected at the airport. We did fly through Chile on our way to Buneos Aires but as an intransit pass you do not pay the entry fee. This info is correct as of Jan 2004. The fee is collected from inbound air passengers only, not if you arrive via ship. Hope this helps, it is a great trip.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 12 years later...
Hello,

Finding some confusing mixed messages regarding fee. Do Americans pay as of 2017 or not? Anyone recently experience this? Going soon..

The information on this thread is 12 1/2 years old.

Suggest you find current information on the govt. websites of the nations you will visit.