First time cruiser October 2014

eyeshaveit

We are cruising to New England/Canada in October 2014. leaving from Baltimore on Grandeur of the Seas and since booking someone told me that the seas will be rough because the time of the year we are sailing. Hope they are wrong but just in case any suggestions about fighting sea sickness?

Seas can be rough anytime, anywhere. There is no predicting, more than a few days in advance, what the seas might be. If you have issues with sea sickness, you need to be prepared everyday you are on a ship.

That being said, in over 200 days on cruise ships, I would say we have experienced moderate or worse seas less than 15%, by a nonscientific survey. But those 15% still happened, and we were prepared.

Edited by CruiserBruce

We are cruising to New England/Canada in October 2014. leaving from Baltimore on Grandeur of the Seas and since booking someone told me that the seas will be rough because the time of the year we are sailing. Hope they are wrong but just in case any suggestions about fighting sea sickness?

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

Don't be concerned about what the seas might be like. I always go prepared and most of the time I don't have any problems. Bonine is a very popular OTC medication for sea sickness. You might also ask your physician what they might suggest.

Have a great cruise!

We just had our first cruise, also on the Grandeur. I bought Bonine just in case, but we never needed it. We did have a room about in the middle of the ship so that may have helped.

We saw many people wearing a patch behind their ear and some who appeared to wear the wristbands that are supposed to help.

As it has been said, there's no way to predict the seas far in advance. I took an almost similar cruise back in 1998, have cruised Alaska 2 times, I have a large bottle of ginger tablets [never had to open], that cruise Bar Harber was canceled as any tender port might be [i try to avoid tender ports](sometimes it not possible). Also many ports that have facilities also for tenders may be a tender port as needed. If not possible to consult with your Dr, you might want to talk with a Pharmist as they & techs also know counteractions with medication just as well[in some cases better] as they deal with drugs on a daily basis.

• 5 weeks later...

Welcome to CC , you can bring Ginger, eat green apples. Have a good cruise.