Anxious about solo travel

jasper02

I am a 45 year old single woman and I have only been on one cruise which was a three night sailing many years ago. I had fun and ever since then have wanted to go again, especially with the new ships that are coming out. However, now I do not have anyone to travel with and am very apprehensive about going alone. Does anyone have any suggestions or similar experiences that might help me out?

You might want to look at NCL's a Epic, Breakaway and Getaway ships. They have studio cabins so you do not pay extra, there is a studio lounge and nightly dinners organized by an NCL staff member. The studios are super comfy. I'm married but have done a few solo cruises with girlfriends and we all stay in separate studios. I think it is an easy way to meet other solo travels.

I love solo cruising as well as cruising with my DH and with our kids too. Hope you try it and find you love it!!!

Edited by 2specialkidsforme

I'm married but have done a few solo cruises with girlfriends and we all stay in separate studios.

If you're cruising with girlfriends, you are not cruising solo, even if you all stay in separate cabins. Cruising with girlfriends is cruising with others. Cruising solo is cruising alone.

I am a 45 year old single woman and I have only been on one cruise which was a three night sailing many years ago. I had fun and ever since then have wanted to go again, especially with the new ships that are coming out. However, now I do not have anyone to travel with and am very apprehensive about going alone. Does anyone have any suggestions or similar experiences that might help me out?

Carnival is my cruise line of choice, but for your very first solo cruise you can't go wrong by doing the solo cabins on NCL.

And the NCL solo lounge is great, open 24 hours with the basics if you need them, and you have a place to meet other solo cruisers and the lounge director will make sure there are things to do that you will like doing.

They throw quiet parties there, make dinner arrangements if you prefer to eat in a group rather than alone and the solo travelers themselves make arrangements to share taxis if they are going to the same places which can be a big savings on excursions.

Go for it, and enjoy your life.

Edited by Earl Colby Pottinger

I am close to your age and I love cruising solo! I've never done the NCL solo cabins but I think that would be a great way to go. If you go with a line with traditional dining they will most likely seat you at a table with other solos or with people close to your age and that's a great way to meet people too. I find most people on cruises are friendly and it's easy to meet people.

I am 61 and have done 2 solo NCL Epic cruises. First was in a balcony due to an upgrade and the second in a Studio. The selling point for me as a solo was 24/7 access to the Studio Lounge on the 2nd cruise. People seem to congregate there to chat, play board games, get some complimentary specialty coffee and of course for the daily Evening Social from 5-7. During that event, the bar is open and people also decide where to eat dinner together.

My next cruise is on the NCL Escape and that has the Studios also. The Freestyle dining works great for solos and there is no need to pack formal wear.

Edited by Hondu

I can't really offer any advice as I am yet to go on my first solo cruise. I just wanted to say I think a lot of people get anxious about doing something for the first time. I'm around your age, have booked my first solo cruise later this year, and yes, I'm a bit nervous. However from reading the posts on this board I got up the courage to go for it. I'm sure it will feel a bit strange at times but I'm excited about it all too. When I've travelled with others we've sometimes done our own thing and met up later. This time I'll just have more time to do my own thing. Others have mentioned the benefits of the NCL studio lounge. I'd like to do one of those cruises one day but decided to do something closer for my first one.

If you're cruising with girlfriends, you are not cruising solo, even if you all stay in separate cabins. Cruising with girlfriends is cruising with others. Cruising solo is cruising alone.

Julie MacCoy. Thank you for taking time to define solo cruising to me. I'm well aware of me going with girlfriends isn't the technical definition of "solo cruising'" but provided info to the poster that there are solo cabins and that they do organize dinners and that I know how the studio cabins are because I have stayed in them!!

For what it is worth -I have also cruised solo on NCL epic but in a regular cabin because I was afraid the studios would feel claustrophobic. I sailed the NCL Epic from Civitavecchia twice - with no one I knew - once to celebrate turning 45 in May 2013 and then again in Oct 2013 because I enjoyed solo cruising so much. I just didn't go into all that in my first post. So I truly do know what solo cruising is and love it!!!! But my experiences in the studios were when I went with a group of friends.

Totally understand the apprehension. I felt that way before my first solo cruise. I had spent several days/nights on the road solo (for work or travel to vacations or whatever), and it just wasn't that enjoyable to me. Felt very isolating. But for me, cruising is absolutely the BEST way to travel solo.

I have found cruisers to be so much friendlier than the average vacationing crowd. It's more of a communal feel in some way. If you're solo, you can spend as much time alone as you want, but you can also always find people to hang out with doing things that you like to do if you want. But you can always do just what you want to do!

Yes, you'll pay double in most cases (or something like it). But you'd pay "double" for a hotel room - it's just not marketed in a "per person" way. So while it's definitely more for a solo, you just need to figure out if the overall vacation is worth it to you personally.

There are lots of cruise lines out there, and each caters to a slightly different crowd. Since it's been a while since your last cruise, I would suggest figuring out what's important to you for your vacation. Quality and variety of entertainment, quality of food, variety of activities on board, level of service, balance of tradition vs. modern, and all that. Read a lot on the boards here about the "personalities" of the cruise lines. Combine that information with an interesting itinerary and the price you want to pay. You'll find something that feels right!

I have had a great time on my solo cruises. Have some been better than others? Of course! But I haven't regretted a single one. And can't wait for my next one in 50 days :)

I started cruising solo when I was 45;)....I am now 57 and it has been

12 years of cruising solo....I love it and have another one booked for

November:D.

Looking back on that very first cruise.....best decision I ever made

(well one of the best LOL)....it was a fantastic vacation and I knew

1/2 way through that cruise, I was going to book another one....and

another one.....and....well, now I have over 40 cruises and all but 2

were solo.

I hope you go and have a wonderful time:D

I went on my first solo last year because I got tired of waiting for others to be able to go with me. I had the best time and met several other solo's. Everyone is so friendly. I had such a great time by myself that now I won't share my cabin with anyone. I have gone on 3 other cruises since then and have 2 more booked for this year.

I like joining the roll calls and so far have only traveled on Carnival because they have had the best deals. I intend to try some of the other lines solo. Maybe one that has solo cabins.

I have been on Princess and NCL when my DH was alive.

Just go for it! You won't know until you try it.

I agree with everyone above- have done Epic and Breakaway 2x. I did NCL Jewel and did not enjoy it whatsoever. I would strongly recommend against any NCL ship that did not have the studios and studio lounge, it is one of the best parts of the ship. I would recommend picking either the Epic, Breakaway, Getaway or Escape. Do you have a preference of where you want to leave from as Epic is in Europe, Breakaway NYC and Getaway/Escape Miami

I think your apprehensive is one of #1 issues most solo travelers have about cruise alone. However, if you have the time, money and desire to go...then Go! Not only are cruises a great vacation, but they are perfect for solo cruisers. Your selection of ship and itinerary is most important as it can make or break your experience. Yes, the NCL solo cabins are good choice for someone nervous for their first cruise as it does have a solo lounge where you can meet and greet other solo cruisers. Personally, I don't focus on the going solo part of my vacation. I learn everything about the ship and ports and plan, plan, plan. I think most fears about cruising alone are somewhat unfounded....like will I feel out of place or will I be lonely? Well, yes and no...however, it's all in your attitude and getting out of your comfort zone and trying new things and not worrying what others think of you. What I've learned is that every cruise is different; but I've yet to have a bad experience cruising solo after 30+ cruises under my belt. Jim

Do a search for these. Several cruise agencies do them , usually monthly, on various lines. They will find you a cabinmate or you can pay double for a solo cabin. They are usually divided by age group, over and under 40/45.What I liked most was nightly group dining. Other group activities as well. You will have a builtin social support group.

Edited by zoncom

I agree with everyone else. Cruising is the best vacation to do solo. I wouldn't want to be running around alone at midnight on a land vacation, but, on a cruise, I am perfectly OK. You can choose to stick by yourself or reach out to others. Most cruisers are happy to have someone else join their little group if that's what you want. I have 2 more solo cruises planned for this year and I'm so excited!

Glad I found this forum for solo cruisers. I'm doing an 7 day Alaskan cruise out of Seattle on Crown Princess, in Sept.

I travel alone a lot so that is not a problem for me. I like traveling alone because I'm in control of where I want to go, do, eat, etc. This will be the first time I am taking a cruise though. I found that it is expensive to cruise to Alaska as a solo person. I am very much looking forward to it.

Glad I found this forum for solo cruisers. I'm doing an 7 day Alaskan cruise out of Seattle on Crown Princess, in Sept.

I travel alone a lot so that is not a problem for me. I like traveling alone because I'm in control of where I want to go, do, eat, etc. This will be the first time I am taking a cruise though. I found that it is expensive to cruise to Alaska as a solo person. I am very much looking forward to it.

Hi, hope you have a great time:D...I went to Alaska in May (solo of course);).....as for the price, most people will tell you it is expensive

to cruise on your own, no matter what the itinerary.

For me? It is the only way I cruise....been on my own forever and I

can't see myself sharing a cabin......I don't even share the remote

at home.....so to share a cabin? No thanks.....I will pay the price for

my own space:)

Thank you all for your responses and suggestions, they have been quite helpful. I guess I should explain my apprehension a little more in depth. I have no problem traveling alone in the U.S. and I do it quite frequently. My real issue stems from anxiety attacks that I suffer from. I'm afraid of being on a ship that I can't get off from if I have a problem. I guess the easiest way to explain it is to say I'm afraid of being afraid.

I'm 43 and I'm going on my 2nd solo cruise. 1st one was for 17 days this is a b2b with ncl in February for 21 days I'm so excited about it as I have heard nothing but positive feedback about the studios and the lounge.

When you get your holiday picked go straight onto their roll all on cc. Best way to get to know fellow cruisers and maybe include yourself on some trips

Good luck tori

Julie MacCoy. Thank you for taking time to define solo cruising to me. I'm well aware of me going with girlfriends isn't the technical definition of "solo cruising'" but provided info to the poster that there are solo cabins and that they do organize dinners and that I know how the studio cabins are because I have stayed in them!!

For what it is worth -I have also cruised solo on NCL epic but in a regular cabin because I was afraid the studios would feel claustrophobic. I sailed the NCL Epic from Civitavecchia twice - with no one I knew - once to celebrate turning 45 in May 2013 and then again in Oct 2013 because I enjoyed solo cruising so much. I just didn't go into all that in my first post. So I truly do know what solo cruising is and love it!!!! But my experiences in the studios were when I went with a group of friends.

I would like to point out that when I went solo on the NCL Epic I was in a regular inside room not a solo cabin. However, once I explained to the director that I was going solo I was invited to use the solo lounge anyway.

In-fact there was a woman also going solo but she got a deal on a balcony room, and she too was allowed in the solo lounge.

It does not appear that you need to book a solo room to use the lounge, just that you are traveling by yourself as the lounge is a common meeting point for people of that nature.

And yes, it was fun going there.