departing flight time from port

tarabert

I am looking at flights returning home from the San Juan Port. The ship arrives at 6:00 am and I have two options in my flight choice, one is a 10:30 am flight and the other is a 3:55 pm flight. I would prefer the 10:30 am flight as I have the first day of my vacation in San Juan so I am not sure if I will need/want a second day there. Not to mention I want options in case the 3:55 pm flight fills up. Will I have enough time to disembark from the ship and make it to the airport for the 10:30 am flight?

Thanks

I am looking at flights returning home from the San Juan Port. The ship arrives at 6:00 am and I have two options in my flight choice, one is a 10:30 am flight and the other is a 3:55 pm flight. I would prefer the 10:30 am flight as I have the first day of my vacation in San Juan so I am not sure if I will need/want a second day there. Not to mention I want options in case the 3:55 pm flight fills up.
I have absolutely no idea what this means...if you have tickets on the 3:55, why would you care if it "fills up"? Won't affect you.
Will I have enough time to disembark from the ship and make it to the airport for the 10:30 am flight?
Completely depends on the ship, arrival time, number of other ships in port. What does your cruiseline recommend? Why do you think that it would be different than what they say?

I am fairly familiar with flying in and out of San Juan.

If you are willing to self disembark and be first off the ship you might be able to make a 10:30 flight if your ship docks no later than 7.

You should also plan on taking a cab. This is also the best mode of transportation between the port and airport. The ride is generally 20 to 25 minutes.

The issue however is the airport itself. You must first take your luggage to an agriculture inspection station which is near the front door btw. Then check in which in my experiences is always slow. Even slower is TSA at SJU.

If your airline closes check in at one hour pre-flight you are taking quite a chance.

I would only book a 10:30 flight if I were on a land trip and could be at the airport no later than 8:15.

It can be done...we have done it...off the ship (RCI Jewel) and at SJU..agriculture check...airline check in...and at the boarding gate by 8:30...We had a noon flight and it was the longest most boring wait I could imagine...but we were so worried about the horror stories we had read.

It can be done...we have done it...off the ship (RCI Jewel) and at SJU..agriculture check...airline check in...and at the boarding gate by 8:30...We had a noon flight and it was the longest most boring wait I could imagine...but we were so worried about the horror stories we had read.

Yes, it can be done and others have done it. But just because YOU didn't have a horror story experience doesn't negate that possibility. San Juan is notorious for often being slow to get through the ag inspection and check in. My gut says that if the ship docks on time and the OP self disembarks, then yes, there is a good chance they'll make it. But there's also a good chance that they won't. OP: CAN BE DONE is not the same as WILL HAPPEN. Only you can decide what your risk tolerance level is.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes, it can be done and others have done it. But just because YOU didn't have a horror story experience doesn't negate that possibility. San Juan is notorious for often being slow to get through the ag inspection and check in. My gut says that if the ship docks on time and the OP self disembarks, then yes, there is a good chance they'll make it. But there's also a good chance that they won't. OP: CAN BE DONE is not the same as WILL HAPPEN. Only you can decide what your risk tolerance level is.

Key word in my personal response "CAN"....Nothing wrong with offering the OP what "can" and has been done by many more than just myself :rolleyes:

OP- The question you need to answer- what is the consequence of missing the 10:30 flight? You commented about the 3:55pm "filling up"....is your backup plan to get on that flight if you miss the 10:30? Keep in mind the later flight will very likely go out full with other cruise passengers- the next available flight may be the following day. If that possibility is OK, then go for the 10:30 flight.

Keep in mind trip insurance probably won't cover....most policies have a clause that your itinerary timing has to be "reasonable" (burden of proof on you). Not following the cruiseline's recommendation will be something they use to deny your claim.

I ran into a big delay at SJU last time....traveling in First, had Precheck, but TSA had everyone using the regular lanes.

Just decide if you're OK, should your arrival home get delayed 24+ hours.

Edited by kenish

Thanks for all the suggestions. We went with the 3:55 flight based on what the cruise ship recommended. We plan on just taking our time getting off the ship and planning a day trip sightseeing tour with airport drop off. To answer some of the other's questions, my preference would have been to take the earlier flight and was mentioning that my concern was that it may have been our only option if the 3:55 flight did not have enough seats available when we called to book. That was my initial intent for the post.

Thanks again.