Rental Cars at Ft. Lauderdale Pier

buffalogal7

I am sailing on the flowerpower cruise on february 29, 2016 out of Ft. Lauderdale aboard the Celebrity Constellation. I will be sailing alone and am quite nervous about this. My concern is: how do I go about renting a car that will be at the pier for me when I disembark. Have been going through websites and can only find car rentals at the airport. I don't feel like spending $70 to be shuttled to the airport when I am not flying home but driving home. Can anyone steer me in the right direction with this please? Thank you. Happy Sailing

Budget has a car rental office on 17th Street at The Quay which is very near Port Everglades. You can rent and return the car there with no need to go to the airport. BTW, the airport is very near Port Everglades and it would never cost you $70 to get from port to airport by taxi.

http://locations.budget.com/us/fl/fort-lauderdale/f07.html

It is doubtful they will have the car at the pier for you but you can arrange the rental in advance and catch a taxi to The Quay and pick it up. A taxi will cost you under around $6 or even less. Don't tell the driver where you are going until your suitcase is in the trunk and you are seated in the rear. Driver will not be happy with the short ride but that is too bad. They have to take you where you wish to go. The car pick up location is a five minute ride.

Edited by sail7seas

You do NOT need a rental...a cab will do ya fine! The airport is about 8-13 mins. from the ship! Just exit the ship, get in the taxi line, and go!

Groan........ :rolleyes:

Reread her OP and you will see she said she is DRIVING home.

Edited by sail7seas

Make a reservation to rent a car from Hertz. Tell them you are coming to Ft Lauderdale by cruise ship. They have a van that will pick you up and take you to rental office. No extra fee except I tip the driver.

Make a reservation to rent a car from Hertz. Tell them you are coming to Ft Lauderdale by cruise ship. They have a van that will pick you up and take you to rental office. No extra fee except I tip the driver.

Is the Hertz office at the airport?

Faster to grab a taxi to Budget on SE 17th Street.

I know that Dollar/Thrifty and Budget both have car rental locations a very short taxi ride from the pier. I know we felt bad and gave the driver $10 which included a big tip. No need to go to the airport. I understand car rentals from the airport are slightly more expensive since there is an airport fee tacked on. I would check this out on the florida departure boards. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=495 There also might be a difference as to whether you can do one way rentals from here, but Florida is pretty good with one way rental, so I would check. I also found that my one way rental from the pier location to Palm Beach airport a week later was significantly cheaper than if I returned the car to FLL.

We have rented from Budget on 17th and from Avis on 17th (at the Hyatt) a number of times.

Each time we simply took their shuttle to and from the port (depending on whether we were picking up or dropping off)

Cab is no big deal. maybe $15 dollars at most to a rental car location.

I rented a car from Dollar after our PC cruise in 2011 to drive to Orlando.

They shuttled us from the port to their lot. Just pre-book the car and sign up for their express/loyalty card to bypass the line-up at the counter.

Edited by lamchops

I am sailing on the flowerpower cruise on february 29, 2016 out of Ft. Lauderdale aboard the Celebrity Constellation. I will be sailing alone and am quite nervous about this. My concern is: how do I go about renting a car that will be at the pier for me when I disembark. Have been going through websites and can only find car rentals at the airport. I don't feel like spending $70 to be shuttled to the airport when I am not flying home but driving home. Can anyone steer me in the right direction with this please? Thank you. Happy Sailing

Have you checked the taxi rates to get from the port to FLL? TaxiFareFinder says $18.27 and remember you can fit 4 people in a cab so that works out to about $5 per person.

DON