Lufthansa layover 1 hour...timing too tight?

mickeysgal

Considering a 6AM Lufthansa flight from Rome to Frankfurt. One hour layover until we board another Lufthansa flight for Atl. If I remember correctly Lufthansa disembarks outside...you walk down the steps, board a bus and then I'd have to get to the next gate. Cutting it too close? It's a super rate...

One hour layover is close to impossible for Frankfurt. Assuming your flight is on time, not only a shuttle to the terminal may be required, you have to go through security again. Frankfurt airport is a very huge complex. I have gone through Frankfurt many times and I never book any flight with less than 2 hours layover.

A couple more questions -

- if I were to book it and miss it due to a delayed flight out of Rome, delay in disembarking, etc. how would they handle rebooking me on another flight? There are flights all day long back to ATL via either Lufthansa or their code shares. Would they put me on one of them if there was space? Is there a cost that I'd have to pay at that point?

- Why would they even offer a flight combination like this if it wasn't realistic?

The one hour layover ticket basically assumes (1) you sit in the front of the plane from Rome and be able to get out faster (2) the incoming flight is absolutely on time (3) no line up in security and passport control (4) you know exactly where your gate to Atl. Is and (5) the gate is not one of those that requires a shuttle out to the Atl bound plane and (6) you can walk or run pretty fast.

I have missed a connecting flight in Frankfurt due to late arrival. I have to say Lufthansa was very efficient in booking me to the next day's flight, clear instruction as to how to retrieve the luggage, provided me with coupon for shuttle bus to a nice hotel plus hotel, dinner and breakfast coupons.

We go through FRA often and I have even found 1 hr/45min. is tight . And this I with being in the front of the plane, being on the first bus, walking fast through the terminal and being Star Alliance Gold and going through the "short" security line . I would not book that short a connection -- the stress would drive me banana and be a bit of a downer at the end of a great cruise.

- Why would they even offer a flight combination like this if it wasn't realistic?
Most people will make it, most of the time. If you think about it, this must be the case because of all the cost that the airline can incur if you miss the connection. Even at industry rates, if the airline has to pay for three meals and a night in a hotel, it adds up to quite a bit of money. So the airline won't offer a connection if it's unrealistic to think that you'll make it.

And there are many passengers who would like to have the shortest possible overall travel time. Usually, these are people who know the risks and who wouldn't be terribly bothered if they've gambled on this and lost and the trip takes a bit longer.

Some CC members, on the other hand, can get very stressed even about routine uneventful air travel. These are good reasons to think about making plans that will take away some of the uncertainty that's an inevitable part of air travel.

Right now we have a flight into Milan and out of Rome on a United 7 day fare lock...a hold. There are four of us traveling.

We are considering this dicey connecting flight because this flight would save us over 900.00 in air flight alone...not to mention time and train tickets moving from Milan to Florence (stopping in Florence for two days pre cruise).

It's a gamble that's for sure and we'd better be prepared (if we take it) to spend the day/night in Frankfurt without our luggage because it will be checked through and will get home before us.

We called Lufthansa last night...they said they guarantee a connecting flight greater than 45 minutes. They legally can't sell anything less than 45. I guess we would become their responsibility and house guests at that point?

It's a gamble that's for sure and we'd better be prepared (if we take it) to spend the day/night in Frankfurt without our luggage because it will be checked through and will get home before us.
That's unlikely. If you don't board your Frankfurt-Atlanta flight, your checked bags should be removed from the flight (if they've been loaded) or else not loaded for the flight. And they ought to travel on the flight onto which you are rebooked, although this is the sort of situation in which things can go awry.

It is even possible, if you misconnect and you have an overnight stay, that you can ask for your bags back. It may take a little time for them to be located and returned to you, but it is possible. Whether or not the airline is prepared to put in the effort is, of course, another question.

In any event, it's far from certain that you'd have to stay overnight in Frankfurt. On the assumption that your Rome-Frankfurt flight arrives at 0855 and your Frankfurt-Atlanta flight departs at 1000 (which gives you 65 minutes, not 60), there are further obvious departures that would still get you home on the same day: at 1045 and 1220 to Washington Dulles, and at 1045 and 1245 to Chicago (subject to possible variations depending on your exact travel date).

We called Lufthansa last night...they said they guarantee a connecting flight greater than 45 minutes. They legally can't sell anything less than 45. I guess we would become their responsibility and house guests at that point?
You're their responsibility (so far as rebooking and care are concerned) as soon as you miss your onward flight. If you can book Milan-Frankfurt-Atlanta all one one ticket, it will be "legal" and LH will look after you.

I agree that agree that if you are going to risk this it is better on the return than flight over. However, given flights are so full these days there is the issue of just because there are other flights that day that does not mean there would be seats available. And even if there are they will likely be poorly located ( middle seats, back of the bus) and highly likely you will not be seated next to each other. Also remember while they will take of rebooking you they have no responsibility to make it the best routing. I always do research before I fly so that if I miss a connection I am armed with a list of the best alternatives so that when they say they have booked us on some terrible routing I can press them to check on availability of better options. And you may want to invest in United Club membership or at least a day pass. I have found the agents who work in these lounges to be the most experienced and helpful in sorting out problems ( plus the lines are usually much shorter and they are less stressed out). One more thing to keep in mind with a short connection is if your first flight is delayed even just a little you margin for error will disappear.

However, given flights are so full these days there is the issue of just because there are other flights that day that does not mean there would be seats available. And even if there are they will likely be poorly located ( middle seats, back of the bus) and highly likely you will not be seated next to each other.

I would go for it, so long as the potential issues that Chairsin discusses above aren't deal breakers for you. The large number of potential return flights to the US from FRA (even if it means connecting again to Atlanta) and the amount of savings would make it (for me) a good gamble.

You're going into it with your eyes open and understand the potential downsides. For almost $1000 savings... I'd roll the dice.

Edited by CXSoloTrav

Also take into consideration whether Lufthansa will "compensate" hotel, meals and shuttle depends on the reason for mis-connection. In my case, the in coming flight was delayed solely because of mechanical issue with the plane and therefore, the total responsibility of Lufthansa.

Also take into consideration whether Lufthansa will "compensate" hotel, meals and shuttle depends on the reason for mis-connection. In my case, the in coming flight was delayed solely because of mechanical issue with the plane and therefore, the total responsibility of Lufthansa.

This is what I truly don't understand with this guarantee.

I get it if it's a mechanical, flight delay, etc.

But what if security line is long, it takes awhile for the transportation bus to fill up and haul us to the gate, etc. That's fuzzy to me as to who's responsibility that really becomes.

I don't know if I'd even have time to stop and read a departure flight monitor! Yikes!

On the other hand - three of us are marathoners... We know how to run!

Take a toothbrush and clean undies in your handluggage and go for it! Normally, I would strongly advise against it, but for that kind of money it's a no-brainer. You indicate that you are fit, so you can do the legwork. Just do not take too much carry on luggage, as it will slow you down.

Lufthansa is a really good airline, and they will take care of you if it does not work out. Also, you are in FRA early in the day, so there are other options to get you home.

Edited by UKBayern

I can tell you our results 2 months ago. We had a direct flight to DFW. We arrived at FRA 2 hours before our flight. Checked luggage very fast, went throug passport check and the stood in security line for almost 3 hours. We just happened to pick a day when the wonderful German security decides to have a sick call in. They only had 2 lines open for economy and one line for business class. Needless to say we missed our flights then got in another long line at Lufhansa customer service with everyone else who where trying to get through security. The good thing is we got another Lufhansa flight to Denver then another flight to DFW getting to DFW around 11 pm instead of 2:00 pm. I can't blame Lufhansa because after talking to several people at FRA this happens quite often. We got the last 2 seats to Denver but we couldn't sit together.

On our upcoming flight from BCN to DFW they offered BCN to FRA with an hour layover and I said no way. We just booked with AA through JFK to DFW. I don't like going through JFK but I think anywhere beats FRA.

Just my 2 cents worth.

On the other hand - three of us are marathoners... We know how to run!

I'm a cyclist, not a runner. But I ran the DFW half-marathon a few years ago...I made it to my connecting flight (last one of the evening) right as they were closing the door!

We had Lufthansa flights from Philadelphia connecting in Frankfurt to Rome in September. Going we had two hours in Frankfurt and we arrived on time, giving us plenty of time to spend in the Lounge before our flight to Rome. Coming back our flight from Rome to Frankfurt was late and we had only 45 minutes to make our connection but we made it! We had to take a bus to the terminal from the tarmac in Frankfurt. We walked fast -- didn't run. (Our bags were checked through to Philadelphia so we didn't have to collect them and recheck them. )

There are flights all day long back to ATL via either Lufthansa or their code shares. Would they put me on one of them if there was space? Is there a cost that I'd have to pay at that point?

There is only one daily non-stop flight on LH (or any of their partners) FRA-ATL. However if you were to miss it because your 1st LH flight was late, they would re-route you on another flight on LH or their partners; likely a LH/UA combination via EWR, IAD or ORD

Well, we talked to Lufthansa again and they're standing behind the connection time. We looked at fares tonight and the flight dropped another 200.00 each. RT Rome directly through Lufthansa...approx now 1050/each. Great price for summer. They must need to fill that plane. The best route/fare we could find that we were holding with United (in at milan/out of rome) vs this one RT Rome is now 400+ less per person.

For a savings of 1600.00 we'll pack toothbrushes, extra changes of clothes and look into potential one day tours of Frankfurt. We took the gamble and booked it tonight. We may lose and have to stay, but we'll find a way to spend a pleasant day in Frankfurt. Not the worst thing in the world for sure. The budget won out at this point. I'll let you know if we make the connection!

Edited by mickeysgal

We looked at fares tonight and the flight dropped another 200.00 each. RT Rome directly through Lufthansa...approx now 1050/each. Great price for summer. They must need to fill that plane

The complex and highly proprietary Yield Management calculations make it impossible to know what drives fare changes. Additional things could include the falling price of fuel (airlines have hedge contracts for fuel) and the weak Euro.

On our upcoming flight from BCN to DFW they offered BCN to FRA with an hour layover and I said no way. We just booked with AA through JFK to DFW. I don't like going through JFK but I think anywhere beats FRA.

Just my 2 cents worth.

This has nothing to do with FRA, Lufthansa, or 1 hour transit time. A strike is something completely different, and can happen at any time in any country at any airport.

Well, we talked to Lufthansa again and they're standing behind the connection time. We looked at fares tonight and the flight dropped another 200.00 each. RT Rome directly through Lufthansa...approx now 1050/each. Great price for summer. They must need to fill that plane. The best route/fare we could find that we were holding with United (in at milan/out of rome) vs this one RT Rome is now 400+ less per person.

For a savings of 1600.00 we'll pack toothbrushes, extra changes of clothes and look into potential one day tours of Frankfurt. We took the gamble and booked it tonight. We may lose and have to stay, but we'll find a way to spend a pleasant day in Frankfurt. Not the worst thing in the world for sure. The budget won out at this point. I'll let you know if we make the connection!

At a difference of $ 1600, it was definitely a non-brainer.

I would not get my hopes up on sight seeing in Frankfurt. Lufthansa will probably rebook you via Chicago on UA later in the day.

Edited by UKBayern

At a difference of $ 1600, it was definitely a non-brainer.

I would not get my hopes up on sight seeing in Frankfurt. Lufthansa will probably rebook you via Chicago on UA later in the day.

That would be optimal of course, but we are prepared for staying the night.

A couple more questions -

- if I were to book it and miss it due to a delayed flight out of Rome, delay in disembarking, etc. how would they handle rebooking me on another flight? There are flights all day long back to ATL via either Lufthansa or their code shares. Would they put me on one of them if there was space? Is there a cost that I'd have to pay at that point?

To answer the question of what happens if you miss it. You make your way to the transfer desk. In same cases they already moved you on the next flight if not the agent will work with you to get you rebooked. I have been rerouted many times (including Lufthansa in Frankfort several times) and have never been charged.

I have never bothered with trying to pre-plan alternative routes. The Lufthans agents can pull up seat inventory on their computer quite easily. If you have checked baggage show that little sticker that is on the back of your boarding pass to the agent so they they can handle the rerouting correctly.

Between Lufthansa, United and Air Canada there are a large number of flights going to Star Alliance hubs in North America from Frankfurt. The three airlines operate all their flights between North American and Europe on a profit sharing/joint venture basis, you will likely end up on one of the three.

If you end up being stranded in Frankfort (and it is their fault) they will usually give you a hotel voucher, meal vouchers and if you ask for it they will give you an overnight kit with a tooth brush etc. If it is weather related sometimes the airline covers the hotel and sometimes they will book it for you at their discounted rates and you have to pay for it.

Edited by em-sk