Family of 10. MTD or 8:30 dining.

FloridaOasis

Independence of the Seas 2015. Has anyone done My time dining with a group of 10 or more?? We reserved late dining as two of our ports of call don't depart until 7pm. 830 is a little late for us not to mention upon finding a cruise compass there are many activities we will miss for the kids. If we have a larger group will we be delayed seating?? In our previous cruises it is just 2 adults and the MTD was perfect for us. Always got seated right away. Whole family going this time. Ages 10-75. We really want the MTD. Suggestions please.

You should have no trouble getting a table for 10 in the main dining room- I have even seen tables of 12. You go right to the same table every night as soon as the dining room opens. I could see you having to wait for a table of 10 at my time/any time/freestyle dining.

Once 12 of us were on NCL and we wanted one table for us who met on our Roll Call. I spoke to the hostess and we were asked were we'd be. I told her and someone came and got us when they put together a table of 12 for us. But this was only one night. Now they give out beepers when they have a table for you. Once the two of us had to wait 40 minutes for a table on NCL!

I'd stay with the 8:15 in main dining room. There really isn't a lot for younger kids to do after 8pm and teens just get together when ever they want, as late as they want.

Agree, MTD is not usually set up for large parties- most tables are set up for 2, 4, or 6, a few for 8. With standard dining, they'll have your table all set up for you so there will be no waiting. With MTD, especially if you don't go at the same time each night, you will have to wait for adjacent tables to clear so that they can move enough together to handle your large group. Not sure what kid's activities you'd miss with an 8:30 dining time, but if there's some activity you really want to do one day, then just settle for the Windjammer or pizza that night.

Suggestions-Thank you;) More comments please. Looking for someone who has actually done this with a group on Royal. My Time Dining. Recalling our last cruise(did my time dining) 2 adult. and being seating with others at large tables. Mixed with different people a few of the nights. I see some of the tables seat up to 16. We don't mind if others sit with us. We just don't want to worry about us all having to be at the table at 8:30. If there's a long wait well just mosey on up to the Windjammer. :)

Independence of the Seas 2015. Has anyone done My time dining with a group of 10 or more?? We reserved late dining as two of our ports of call don't depart until 7pm. 830 is a little late for us not to mention upon finding a cruise compass there are many activities we will miss for the kids. If we have a larger group will we be delayed seating?? In our previous cruises it is just 2 adults and the MTD was perfect for us. Always got seated right away. Whole family going this time. Ages 10-75. We really want the MTD. Suggestions please.

there are VERY FEW tables in MTD that seat more than 4. there will absolutely problems getting a consistent seating with that many people at the same time. you may have to break it up into two smaller groups and request that they b seated in close proximity, but even then I am not sure the same wait staff would be tasked with two large tables at once.

I would choose fixed seating. No guesswork for your group...your table is ALWAYS waiting. So easy. If someone has other plans...then fine...no notification needed...the table is still there for everyone else!

Edited by cb at sea

Guest maddycat

On our last RCI cruise in Oct. there were 2 large groups in MTD every night. You probably wouldn't have a problem as long as you made reservations ahead of time for the same table and wait staff every night.

You will get more answers from RCI cruisers who have experience with MTD and a large group if you post on the cc RCI board. The link is below.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=83

We did Mytime dining on the Navigator of the Seas with 9--we grandparents and 7 kids ages 5-11.

Even though we had Mytime, we ate about the same time every night (6ish) because of the evening activities for the kids. On our own, we like to eat later, but they wanted to be done to go have fun.

They actually saved the same large round table for us every night--it was waiting for us even if we were a few minutes late. (Try getting 7 kids ready in time!)

It was a nice location right near the railing, so the kids could see what was happening downstairs. The wait staff was phenomenal with the children, with special treats, magic tricks, lots of interaction, etc. The kids loved every minute of it, and all but the two youngest had great fun with the adult menu.

Because we kept the same table we had the same wait staff every night, which was great. The thing I most appreciated was that the last night a lady who sat at a nearby table every night came over and so kindly complimented us on how well behaved and delightful the kids were.

That made my night, for sure, even though I think she was exaggerating as they are very lively, though nice kids. But, it did make me feel better that hopefully we weren't disrupting the whole area.

I think if you go to the dining room and explain that you need a large table, they will work with you to the best of their ability.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser