Connecting Flights

oufpat

When flying from Newark to Barcelona on a connecting flight in France, how much time is needed for the connection?

Where in France are you making the connection. Paris?

You also need to take into account if you are connecting in the same terminal or have to transfer terminals.

Generally speaking the airline booking system will ensure your booking does not violate minimum connection times if everything is on the same ticket.

Lastly, I like CDG as a destination airport. Not my favourite as a connecting airport.

If you are connecting at CDG plan for a minimum of 2 hours with Delta, KLM, or AF. If you are arriving at 2E you will probably have to head to 2F which will entail a stop for a security check. The walk is about 20 minutes but security lines can be long with the early morning US-EU arrivals. If you are arriving/departing 2M then your transfer to 2E involves a bus transfer.

I think AA uses Terminal 1 which is an old terminal with long walks. We've only arrived for a Paris destination on SAS and I thought I was hiking to Cannes it was so long.

The signage is much improved from years ago but I am most comfortable with a 2+ hour connection time. (We were just through there in August.)

Without knowing which airlines are using, we really can't help much.

But...

DL has a non-stop EWR-CDG with connecting flights onto BCN, so I'll assume you are doing this. You'll clear Immigration at CDG at Terminal T3E (DL comes into this terminal). AND, you have to do the security checkpoint, too. Your flight CDG-BCN is most likely on Air France/Citijet. Those leave out of Terminal T3F. Depending on which pier of T3E you "park" at, you could have 30-40 minutes to go from one to the other at best. I like to have 2 hours minimum.

The SkyTeam terminal T2E/F is probably the best place to do connections. It is the same terminal, just different sides. Sometimes, I think I'm the weird one because I do not mind connecting at CDG.

A website that gives info on connecting at CDG:

http://easycdg.com/passenger-information/connecting-flight-connections-paris-cdg-airport/transfer-terminal-2e/terminal-2e-to-terminal-2f/

If you are doing other airlines, your terminals will change and will add a goodly amount of time for the connections.

Edited by slidergirl

Even better....just take the nonstop EWR-BCN on United and avoid CDG altogether. ;)

I think you missed the word "affordable"... ;)

Without knowing when the OP is going, I did a little sample for next summer on ITA. Looks like Norwegian is doing a really cheap, no-frills without paying for stuff, rate EWR to BCN staring next June. Like $275 O/W.. Costs more if you want some "frills" on the flight (seat selection, food, luggage)...

United flight 120 is direct from EWR to BCN. I'll be on it in 2 days! I would definitely go direct. I've been checking the flight daily for the last couple of weeks just to see whether it's delayed. It's typically 1-2 hours delayed; the other day was 3 hours. After a bad experience missing a connecting flight out of EWR, I would never do connecting from there again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

"United flight 120 is direct from EWR to BCN. I'll be on it in 2 days! I would definitely go direct. I've been checking the flight daily for the last couple of weeks just to see whether it's delayed. It's typically 1-2 hours delayed; the other day was 3 hours. After a bad experience missing a connecting flight out of EWR, I would never do connecting from there again."

The best point of your flight is not that it is direct, but that it is non-stop. Direct flights can have multiple stops and even require a change of aircraft.

Not being snarky, but providing info to preclude disappointment for other travellers.

Edited by CruisingAlong4Now

"United flight 120 is direct from EWR to BCN. I'll be on it in 2 days! I would definitely go direct. I've been checking the flight daily for the last couple of weeks just to see whether it's delayed. It's typically 1-2 hours delayed; the other day was 3 hours. After a bad experience missing a connecting flight out of EWR, I would never do connecting from there again."

The best point of your flight is not that it is direct, but that it is non-stop. Direct flights can have multiple stops and even require a change of aircraft.

Not being snarky, but providing info to preclude disappointment for other travellers.

Thanks for clarifying! Yes, go non-stop from EWR! Flights are almost always delayed in/out of this airport.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app