Florida Turnpike vs. I-95

luvscruising2007

Is there a general consensus on which route is better for driving to Fort Lauderdale? I am leaning toward I-95 but will :consider the turnpike.

Thanks for any advice and/or information.

I agonized over this decision for weeks before our FLL cruise...:eek:.

We took I-95 all the way, we ran unto a bit of congestion from about Jupiter on down but it wasn't as bad as Atlanta traffic.....LOL. When we debarked on Sunday to come home it was a"piece of cake".....:D

Enjoy your cruise.....

a) In north Florida, you would have to divert west to get to the turnpike .. why would you.. it is really not even a question until you get down towards Palm Beach cuz b4 then the 95 traffic is no different that you'll have experienced fm MD south.

b) Around mm 126 of I-95 the turnpike is so close to 95 that you can spit from one to the other for around 10 miles .... this is an easy place to cross IF you figure the turnpike will be better. IME, the last time I tried the turnpike the traffic was AS BAD and the speeders WORSE than 95 .... I got off the turnpike and went back to 95!

I live near Cape Canav and dd lives in Miami. We do this drive routinely. I take 95 . . . she takes 95. If you think the turnpike will be a country lane as compared to 95 around Miami .... think again. Eastern Shore Mary' .... for traffic in and around Miami, think DC beltway . . . . there ain't a good alternative, ya grin and bear it . .

Edited by Capt_BJ

Greetings

We always use I-95 unless we know in advance of an accident. We travel often to Lauderdale, Miami, and the Keys and prefer the I-95 route. Through Palm Beach county (after what seems an eternity of construction) there are actually more traffic lanes on I-95 than in Broward now. I find the real congestion begins around Yamato Road at the very southern end of Palm Beach county where the number of southbound lanes reduces. If you are traveling during the week at peak times you can take advantage of the HOV lane which requires only 2 people in the vehicle. The HOV lane usually scampers along at a good clip.

Good Sailing

Tom

Thanks! Is that during rush hour or all day. We will be coming into FLL on a Thursday afternoon. And when is rush hour?

Rush hour is the worst time, but traffic sometimes is heavy during the week anyway. Rush hours in FL are the same as Maryland. I think 7-9:30 and 4-6:30 are the peak times. It is most congested from Boca Raton to Pompano Beach and near the FLL airport. West Palm Beach used to be very congested every time I went through any time of day, but I can't tell you how it is currently because I don't go by there.

Edited by royalcruz

Rush hour is the worst time, but traffic sometimes is heavy during the week anyway. Rush hours in FL are the same as Maryland. I think 7-9:30 and 4-6:30 are the peak times. It is most congested from Boca Raton to Pompano Beach and near the FLL airport. West Palm Beach used to be very congested every time I went through any time of day, but I can't tell you how it is currently because I don't go by there.

Thanks for the info. I think I will try to get to FLL prior to rush hour.

Cruise planning is so much fun and very informative.

Whenever we travel north toward Jacksonville, I always take the FL Turnpike north as far as possible - take exit 152 (State Road 70, Okocheeobee Rd) in Ft Pierce to cut over to I-95, as the two highways are only about a mile apart at that point. Ditto for the reverse trip south.