Overnight in the Keys

mraven

Hi. We're on a cruise out of FLL on 10/28 (Wednesday). We're flying in Monday evening or early Tuesday. We'd like to go to the keys on Tuesday and spend the night somewhere. Need to be back by around 1pm Wednesday for a 4pm departure. Don't need anyplace fancy for the overnight. Are we better off in Key West or something on the way back? Any recommendations are appreciated.

Hi. We're on a cruise out of FLL on 10/28 (Wednesday). We're flying in Monday evening or early Tuesday. We'd like to go to the keys on Tuesday and spend the night somewhere. Need to be back by around 1pm Wednesday for a 4pm departure. Don't need anyplace fancy for the overnight. Are we better off in Key West or something on the way back? Any recommendations are appreciated.

Key West will be a madhouse that week and hotels will be very expensive, if even available at all. I recommend staying somewhere in the Upper Keys, maybe Islamorada area.

• 4 weeks later...

Not only will KW itself be packed with people, I have to assume the traffic on Rt 1 will be pretty intense.

Also be aware it's about a 4 hour drive from FLL to Key West in the best of conditions.

Ignoring the drive time, potential busyness of Fantasy Fest, and traffic, If I were doing it, I'd find somewhere to stay in Marathon. Plenty of hotel options (though I've never actually stayed there myself), and close enough to KW that you could stay reasonably late in KW Tuesday evening and still be back at your hotel in roughly an hour.

We've been to KW many times but never during FF. I bet parking downtown would be a real joy too.........:eek:

OP you should do a little research on FF and see if you want to visit KW that week. Personally I'd suggest staying in the Islamorada-Marathon stretch and just enjoy the mid-upper Keys. It's beautiful driving and there's plenty to do.