Do balcony dividers open on Independence of the seas.

FloridaOasis

We have 3 rooms booked together. Getting mixed info if the balcony dividers open. We were originally told we could request room steward open them. Now hearing it's a hazard to open them. Re: security lock not secure to keep open, people complaining debris coming underneath?? Not sure what they mean. Has there been a change in Royals policy?? I have seen them open on Allure- boardwalk view rooms. So hope we can get them open. Have one handicap and 4 children. Need the access for family assistance.

I took the Transatlantic on Independence last May and we were able to have the balcony open between our two cabins. It is at the discretion of the captain. I have heard of some captains not allowing it, but the only time I was traveling with someone in the next cabin it was opened.

For other questions specific to Independence or Royal Caribbean in general, you will likely get quicker responses on the Royal Caribbean section.

Edited by bethco

I took the Transatlantic on Independence last May and we were able to have the balcony open between our two cabins. It is at the discretion of the captain. I have heard of some captains not allowing it, but the only time I was traveling with someone in the next cabin it was opened.

For other questions specific to Independence or Royal Caribbean in general, you will likely get quicker responses on the Royal Caribbean section.

It is at the Captain's discretion whether to allow any, or how many in total can be opened, or how many in a group or an area of the ship. It has to do with fire containment. If your cabins are connecting (interior door between cabins), there is no problem, subject to the above. However, non-connecting cabins that are next to each other can be in two different fire zones (most deck plans show small white spaces between cabins at these points, but I don't see that on Indie's plans), and these balcony dividers will not be allowed to be opened. You can tell by the sliding or swinging fire door in the hallway where the fire zones separate.

We have 3 rooms booked together. Getting mixed info if the balcony dividers open. We were originally told we could request room steward open them. Now hearing it's a hazard to open them. Re: security lock not secure to keep open, people complaining debris coming underneath?? Not sure what they mean. Has there been a change in Royals policy?? I have seen them open on Allure- boardwalk view rooms. So hope we can get them open. Have one handicap and 4 children. Need the access for family assistance.

Most balcony dividers can be opened by the cabin steward as long as all parties agree. The cabin steward has a tool that opens the dividers.

jcruise

On YOUR ship, the dividers can physically be opened. On some ships, that's not the case. Yes,...it is up to the Captain whether they will be opened.

On Oasis/Allure, a portion of the divider can slide back and lock into position, so they are more likely to remain opened for the entire cruise. On other ships, the portion of the divider is not locked into place, and can create a hazard in rough seas

All the dividers on Indy open, accept if you have an aft facing room They fold back on themselves and there is a latch to hold them open.

Just a hint...a strong set of fingers can open the lock. ;)