I honestly don't know if they are in use at the port or not. They are certainly in use at Canadian Airports. Anything organic like drugs shows up a totally different colour than the container it is in. The newest ones that we have at out international airpor actually do three separate scans each designed to look for something specific. Got to watch all of my luggage scanned by Agriculture Canada when I returned from a military tour in the Democratic Republic of Congo and the officer was kind enough to explain what was happening. Had one item confiscated upon my return. The children over there collect elephant hair that the animals rub off on the trees and make neet bracelets out of it with some beads and sell them. When I mentioned the word elephant you would have thought I was the worlds biggest ivory smuggler. Even the hair is a no go here in Canada. No fine or anything but they were seized.

Edited by Gunner22aa

@CRUISERMOMX3 - i was thinking about putting it in between clothes that I will have in a spacesaver bag. Was thinking maybe they wouldn't open something vacuum packed like that!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I usually take mine out of the box and put it at the bottom of the suitcase. Other posts have said that the contents appear like it is air and the only thing that shows up is the cap. Someone posted a hint that the wheels of the suitcase muddle up the images too. I have also taken on the small boxes that hold a single bottle and I would assume they look like they could be shampoo, etc because of the size.

No doubt they were destroyed. If its got ivory any part of the animal is forbidden in this country without some kind of official import paperwork that I didn't have. I was out of pocket about $5 so I didn't fall on my sword about it and the money helped feed someone from a very poor nation. Walrus Ivory is exempt as the animal is considered a traditional food for the first nations people who live in the high arctic and use the ivory for crafts etc.

Edited by Gunner22aa

• 3 weeks later...

Whatever you do, don't buy that junk in the picture. If you must buy boxed wine look at "black box" wines, which have fared well in various wine competitions. Another great non-glass item is "bandit" wines in a Mylar liter container.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

We brought a Black Box of wine on our last Princess cruise this past Christmas and it WAS caught and removed. Our bag arrived very late to the room and that was a bad sign. When we opened the bag there was a pre-printed notice that an item(s) were found in our baggage that were not allowed per our passenger contract. Those items have been removed and destroyed. We had packed the box wine very hidden and had even wrapped it Christmas paper as a gift with a gift tag. Didn't work. Oh, well - They did not take the two Rum Runners in the same bag. Go Figure? Just FYI

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new to all this. Can you tell me what a Rum Runner is & where you get them from please.

I'm sailing from Vancouver on Zuiderdam on the in-side passage - anyone know if I will be able to take a wine box on?