2nd Cruise -South America

msbethanykay

I cruised once as a teenager with family but never as an adult (this will be my husband's first cruise). My husband and I booked a 2 wk cruise around Cape Horn for our 5 year anniversary: Buenos Aires to Valparaiso. Given the weather/temp changes we are going to experience... packing seems like it might be a challenge!! Has anyone done a Cape Horn cruise that might be able to offer some advise?

Edited by msbethanykay

What month?

We didn't bring any boots (don't own any) in March which is already late in the cruising season down there. It was nippy and rained buckets in Puerto Chacabuco, but I was fine in sneakers, a fleece cardigan and a rain coat. I could have used gloves and a hat further south, but made do with a warm scarf and the hood of my raincoat.

It was warm but not hot in Buenos Aires and Valparaiso. Capris and a polo shirt weather. Sometimes my lightest cotton jacket early in the morning.

Many ship's excursions (or even sightseeing on your own) from Ushuaia or Punta Arenas will be on small boats taking you to see the penguins or other wildlife and national parks. You will want to have a waterproof down jacket and hat for these. When I've made this suggestion in the past others have commented that its just my thin Florida blood talking, but believe me the Canadians and Europeans on board felt the same. I didn't bring boots and didn't miss them, but my cruise did not call at the Falklands where visiting the rookeries involves a long walk on rough wet ground. Some ships tours also included an outdoor barbecue lunch which I can vouch for stays outdoors no matter the weather--rain being more the issue rather than cold. So pack rain gear and sunscreen and everything in between.

Edited by fishywood

I would then prepare for hot weather in Buenos Aires which could be in the low 90's and at the end in Valparaiso around 85 to 90. As you go South then the temperature drops and it becomes windy and highs likely in the high 40's into the 50's. Could be warmer but if it is cloudy and windy might not be the case.

We layer clothing.

I would wear a water proof jacket like a North Face Shell and then have a fleece and water proof pants. If you go to see the Penguins in some of the ports you want to have a hat and gloves and if you go to the Falkland Islands than a scarf as well.

Sort of like Alaska with layering.

I highly recommend it.

Very special.

Keith

If you are going to the Falklands, the trip to Volunteer point is not to be missed. Book with Patrick Watts. He is half the price of the ship's excursion.I would also recommend disposable booties for walking through penguin poop.

Edited by Talisker92

Thank you for the input! We are sailing Jan 3rd so I am hoping summer time will keep the temps far south nice and mild!

Early February this year temps for the Falklands and for Ushuaia (near Cape Horn) were unseasonably warm, in the 60-70°F range. Snow on deck when we did our drive-by of Antarctica. Temps in the mid 80's in BA. So the answer is Layers. Don't worry about taking a heavy coat, rather take 2-3 light garments you can layer atop one another, with a wind shell over all. And if you need a coat, buy one onboard with the ship's logo.