Cruising to Costa Maya in October with carnival, wanting a simple beach day.

linemancruiser

Cruising to Costa Maya in October with carnival, wanting a simple beach day for the family. I've never been there before so I don't know what to expect. Can I get off at port and walk to a beach or what do I need to do? I've read where people are reserving chairs, is this something I need to do. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Simplest day is to just head to the cruise port parking lot and catch the tram to Mahahual. Or you can walk through the parking lot and out the gate and catch a taxi. Same price per person, $3 down, $2 back. Once there, walk down the malecon and find a place that looks good and use that beach clubs facilities. No entrance fees. But you'll have to fend off a lot of lounger hawkers trying to get you to stop at their club. See this board for information and reviews on various clubs. Depending upon the number of ships in port (max 3) reserving a lounger can be a good idea.

You can walk to the beaches, the malecon starts just south of the lighthouse which you can see from your ship. It is a long walk. If you like you can stop along the shore line between the port and the lighthouse, but you'll find no facilities there.

Also it's not the real beach, but they have a "beach" sandy area and shallow water/pool going up to bar in the port itself. Could do that if you wanted ease/no taxi. But lots of beaches on the Malecon.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So easy to just hop on the tram and go to the beach! Then take a taxi back. There will be plenty behind the restaurants and the employees are happy to help you get one too. There are lots of pay as you go or unlimited bars/restaurants to choose from. You can reserve ahead of time or just show up. Big Mama's, Yaya's, Tropicante, Krazy Lobster to name a few.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was there two weeks ago. You can take the tram or taxi. I think it was $2-3 each way. I told them to drop me off at Blue Kay Beach. I had my almost 8year old granddaughter with me, so I knew it was good swimming for her. It was great! Beach chairs were free for the price of a drink or food. BUT, they would never know if you ordered or didn't order! They were kept busy running back and forth, but it never took long.I had a great 'rita,and would have loved another, but since I was the only adult, had to be responsible. I will say, I remembered why Im NOT a beach person! The SAND! LOL, it was every where!!! But, I had heard they had hard wooden chairs there, but no longer! It was a great day for my Lilly, for under $25. total!

I was there two weeks ago. You can take the tram or taxi. I think it was $2-3 each way. I told them to drop me off at Blue Kay Beach. I had my almost 8year old granddaughter with me, so I knew it was good swimming for her. It was great! Beach chairs were free for the price of a drink or food. BUT, they would never know if you ordered or didn't order! They were kept busy running back and forth, but it never took long.I had a great 'rita,and would have loved another, but since I was the only adult, had to be responsible. I will say, I remembered why Im NOT a beach person! The SAND! LOL, it was every where!!! But, I had heard they had hard wooden chairs there, but no longer! It was a great day for my Lilly, for under $25. total!

Are you saying they gave upgraded the loungers? What kind now? Thanks!

I too am interested in knowing if the hard wooden loungers are actually gone. We went to Blue Kay this past March and that was the only thing I was not crazy about for the day. Please report back to us if you have more info, or even better, photos.