Restaurant Reservations in Rome (and Elsewhere)

PaulInPGH

In preparation for our cruise out of Rome in September, my wife and I have both read a number of accounts online about how difficult it is to eat at many restaurants unless you make reservations. This seemed to be emphasized in Rome, as well as Paris (where we'll be for a few days prior to heading to Rome). Neither of us have been to Europe, so I was hoping those of you who've been could give us the low-down.

First, did you find it the case that reservations were required? Second, if so, how did you go about making the reservations you wanted? The few places we've looked at didn't seem to have any online reservation system, so I'm trying to figure out whether we need to make reservations by calling before we leave (as we won't have our phones on while traveling), or should we ask the folks at our hotels to call and make the reservations for us.

I'm just trying to get a sense of how best to do things so we can hopefully avoid walking around hungry and feeling stupid. As always, your thoughts and suggestions are much appreciated!

Cheers.

In preparation for our cruise out of Rome in September, my wife and I have both read a number of accounts online about how difficult it is to eat at many restaurants unless you make reservations. This seemed to be emphasized in Rome, as well as Paris (where we'll be for a few days prior to heading to Rome). Neither of us have been to Europe, so I was hoping those of you who've been could give us the low-down.

First, did you find it the case that reservations were required? Second, if so, how did you go about making the reservations you wanted? The few places we've looked at didn't seem to have any online reservation system, so I'm trying to figure out whether we need to make reservations by calling before we leave (as we won't have our phones on while traveling), or should we ask the folks at our hotels to call and make the reservations for us.

I'm just trying to get a sense of how best to do things so we can hopefully avoid walking around hungry and feeling stupid. As always, your thoughts and suggestions are much appreciated!

Cheers.

We called once to restaurant and once we just passed by and booked table for evening .

It greatly depends on what type of dining you have in mind.

You will have no problem strolling along streets in the areas that are more geared to tourists and finding numerous restaurants -- you can look at the menus (and prices), cast an eye over the dining room or outdoor area and see if something appeals. For that, you really don't need reservations.

However, if you have specific restaurants in mind (and especially ones that are frequented by more than just tourists), you should consider making reservations. You can request your hotel to do it for you or -- what I've often done -- is just email the restaurant in advance, assuming you can find their website and they have an email listed. I'd say in general most Italian restaurants don't use anything as sophisticated as a reservation system online. You have to initiate either with a call or email.

The other system mentioned above (e.g., stopping by earlier in the day to reserve) can work pretty well, but again if it's a really popular place, a really SMALL place (some have only 10-12 tables) or a place that isn't open for lunch, that approach doesn't work.

Also note that a lot of restaurants are closed on Sunday night or Monday night, so plan well.

Edited to add: I should note that my comments apply mainly for Rome.

Edited by cruisemom42

I always make reservations for the restaurants I want to visit. It doesn't matter if it is Rome, Italy or Rome, Georgia. I research restaurants to be sure I have one "must dine" place in a city/town I visit. I don't want to miss out because I didn't make a reservation.

I have never had a problem making a reservation for dining in Rome or Florence (since we're talking Italy). If a restaurant has a website, I'll do it there. If a restaurant has an email address, I'll email. I'll have the Concierge at the hotel I'm going to stay at make a reservation - I'll email the Concierge in advance. I've had good success with these three methods - I haven't had to call yet...

I always make reservations for the restaurants I want to visit. It doesn't matter if it is Rome, Italy or Rome, Georgia. I research restaurants to be sure I have one "must dine" place in a city/town I visit. I don't want to miss out because I didn't make a reservation.

I have never had a problem making a reservation for dining in Rome or Florence (since we're talking Italy). If a restaurant has a website, I'll do it there. If a restaurant has an email address, I'll email. I'll have the Concierge at the hotel I'm going to stay at make a reservation - I'll email the Concierge in advance. I've had good success with these three methods - I haven't had to call yet...

Thanks, all, for the responses. I know my wife tried emailing one restaurant we were interested in but never got a response. I think emailing the hotel in advance for assistance is an excellent idea--thanks very much for the suggestion.

Cheers.

If you would like to book anywhere to ensure you are guaranteed a table, don't worry, there are plenty of restaurants all looking for customers.

Best meal we had was at a restaurant on a street near The Spanish Steps, an area with dozens of eateries. It was busy, we didn't want to sit outside due to smokers, so they led us to a rear room which was a little grim, but we were surrounded by Italians. The food was simple, but so well cooked and prepared we wish it hadn't been our last night.

If you want somewhere special it is always better to book. There's a Roman food restaurant we wanted to try but it was fully booked on the two nights we tried through the concierge.

Since we stay in apartments in Rome, I never have the advantage of using a hotel concierge. I use e-mail. If the restaurant has a web site, see if they accept reservations by e-mail. Otherwise you may have have to call them directly. The staff usually speaks English. One of our favorite Rome restaurants, Hostaria Romano, web site that says "Non si accettano prenotazioni effettuate via email"

We travel to Europe often. We have never had a problem with restaurant reservations. Cannot remember ever needing to make them either.

You lead a charmed life! If I had not made reservations, I would have not been able to dine at Armando al Pantheon, Roscioli, Cesare al Casaletto, Emma, Sostanza, Cinghiale Bianco, Golden View, Sesto...People were getting turned away at these places while I was sitting, savoring, enjoying.