Epic Caribbean cruise. What's the best snorkeling?

NoMoreRain

We are on the Epic sailing January 25th with stops in Cozumel, Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman. Would love for the kids to experience some easy snorkeling with lots of bright fish.

Does anyone have recommendations for which stop would have the best options? Of course if you ready the excursion site reviews that all have the best!:o

Preferably it would be best if it was beach accessible but doing it from a boat would be possible.

Thanks!

Don't know the age of your kids but Grand Cayman would be better - do Stingray City with a stop at Coral Gardens. Stingray City's fun, shallow water (waist depth), and Coral Gardens is about 15 ft deep, little current, good fish counts - it's like swimming in a fish bowl. Cozumel has great snorkeling but you can get to deep water pretty fast and there's a strong current on the west side of the island. Depending on your kid's age, snorkeling on the west side of Cozumel could be pretty daunting. The south side of Cozumel has slower currents and can offer more tranquil snorkeling from Playa Palancar and points farther south.

If you want to snorkel on the west side of Cozumel there are places that offer some protected snorkeling areas such as Chankanaab. Areas closer to shore here offer great fish counts and little to no current.

Sent from my XT1080 using Forums mobile app

Don't know the age of your kids but Grand Cayman would be better - do Stingray City with a stop at Coral Gardens. Stingray City's fun, shallow water (waist depth), and Coral Gardens is about 15 ft deep, little current, good fish counts - it's like swimming in a fish bowl.

Cozumel has great snorkeling but you can get to deep water pretty fast and there's a strong current on the west side of the island. Depending on your kid's age, snorkeling on the west side of Cozumel could be pretty daunting.

Totally agree with the above!

Grand Cayman will be a great snorkeling experience for your children. :)

LuLu

Totally agree with the above!

Grand Cayman will be a great snorkeling experience for your children. :)

LuLu

Another vote for Grand Cayman - you can do a combination "reef" or "garden" with Sting Ray City Excursion and have wonderful memories. Coz for kids would be a 2nd choice.

BTW, have you joined the roll call for this cruise? I recently did when I booked the Epic a few weeks ago.

Cozumel without a doubt. They have some of the top rated reefs in the entire world. I'd definitely go by boat though.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I'm quoting myself. I missed the part about the kids and "easy" snorkling... So I agree with the others. Do the shallow, over-crowded touristy stuff at Grand Cayman. (That's exactly what we are doing on our upcoming cruise!) When they get older, or if you go without them, then do the real serious world renowned reefs at Cozumel, like I mentioned. It is like nothing I've ever experienced, and I've snorkeled (and hubby has scuba'd) all over.

We are on the Epic sailing January 25th with stops in Cozumel, Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman. Would love for the kids to experience some easy snorkeling with lots of bright fish.

Does anyone have recommendations for which stop would have the best options? Of course if you ready the excursion site reviews that all have the best!:o

Preferably it would be best if it was beach accessible but doing it from a boat would be possible.

Thanks!

I am supplying a link to a review I did of an excursion in Cozumel. No boat involved. It is totally from shore, very safe, educational, and FUN for everyone. Kids loved it!

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g150809-d1371536-r128491783-Stingray_Beach-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html#REVIEWS

It is called STINGRAY BEACH

Edited by Medtech2