URGENT - Sandals for Greece/Italy in October?

jp2001

Hello all :)

I just now realise that I probably don't have the right shoes for my upcoming cruise (mostly Greece and Italy, see itinerary below).

I had checked the weather and highs are 20-25 Celsius (67-77 Farenheigt) so thought my cruise sandals + one pair of close-top walking shoes would do but I am reconsidering.

Here, in Canada, 67 to 77 F. is summer weather but will I look out of place wearing sandals in Europe in October? Should I opt for bringing more close-toe shoes?

I only have today and Sunday to go shopping. Saturday, my family is coming home for a BBQ and Monday I leave for work (on a ship) and when I come back I only have one day at home and it's filled with a mandatory health check to keep my mariner certificate valid and packing for the cruise as my flight is the following morning.

When I travel, the number 1 concern when choosing footwear is comfort. On a European cruise you'll be doing lots of walking, so choose what will be the most comfortable for you to wear. I doubt that you would look funny wearing your sandals at that time of the year, but even if they thought you odd, so what? Also, I'm of the opinion that you really don't need that many pairs of shoes - some walking shoes and a couple of pairs of sandals and you'll be fine.

Thanks for your input. Actually, I am not bringing very many pair of shoes; I'm probably bringing 5 pairs total (including the ones I'll be wearing) for a 14-night cruise. I know women who would bring 2-3 times that amount.

So, I think I'll still bring my favorite pair of walking sandals (they are cute too, I just LOVE them so much) but I'll skip the other pair and go for ballet flats instead (just remembered I have a pair that I haven't worn much but are pretty and comfortable enough for walking medium distances).

So it will be:

- 1 pair of black close-toe walking shoes (I'll wear them on the flight, perfect for security as they are slip-on and the best walking shoes I ever had, they can go with both pants and skirts and are comfortable to walk all day long)

- 1 pair of cute grey/black walking sandals (also extremely comfortable, for when the weather is particularly hot and if I plan to head to the beach)

- 1 pair of cute black ballet flats with some type of light shimmering in the fabric and rushing at the front (actually, they'll work well for casual evenings too, that's a bonus!)

- 1 pair of nude-color medium heels (evenings or days on the ship)

- 1 pair of black high heels (evening only)

Only problem with my switch from my tan sandal to black ballet flat is that I have one dress (navy, white & red stripes) for which my black ballet flats don't match so well... but I think I'll live with it instead of going shopping. All my other dresses/outfits work well with black shoes or gray sandals.

Teva type for cobblestones, several brands available.

My sandals are Teva atually :) but they don't look at all like normal style. Unfortunately, I can't remember the modal and can't find it on their website anymore. the straps are very thin and all come at the froont of the foot creating a ''sun'' pattern with a hole in the middle.

I am in shoe hell, too! We're doing a med. cruise mid October that goes to Italy, France. I normally don't really walk outside in the colder weather, so mostly wearing a sandal like birkenstocks and Ryka. I'm trying to buy a comfortable pair of sneakers so if the weather is cooler or if we'll be walking on a lot of cobblestone. Closed toed shoes are harder to fit because I'm in between sizes.

I, too, are bringing a pair of ballet shoes that are Sketchers. I'm not really sure how comfortable they'll stay on a long walking day.

Men should have such shoe problems!

I am in shoe hell, too! We're doing a med. cruise mid October that goes to Italy, France. I normally don't really walk outside in the colder weather, so mostly wearing a sandal like birkenstocks and Ryka. I'm trying to buy a comfortable pair of sneakers so if the weather is cooler or if we'll be walking on a lot of cobblestone. Closed toed shoes are harder to fit because I'm in between sizes.

I, too, are bringing a pair of ballet shoes that are Sketchers. I'm not really sure how comfortable they'll stay on a long walking day.

Men should have such shoe problems!

Good morning.....you said you are going to wear the ballet flats for

walking? Just my opinion, but they probably don't have a a lot of support.

Skecher's makes sneakers and walking shoes.......(since you mentioned

them).....I would go for a pair of those.

Good morning.....you said you are going to wear the ballet flats for

walking? Just my opinion, but they probably don't have a a lot of support.

Skecher's makes sneakers and walking shoes.......(since you mentioned

them).....I would go for a pair of those.

I agree or Easy Spirit has several styles which would have more padding and support.