Falmouth: Walk/bus to public beach near port?

anonmom

We just got our rerouted Western itinerary for our December Escape cruise that would have been Eastern if we hadn't had such a devastating hurricane season. Of course, the important thing is that the affected islands get the help they need. I have donated to the efforts and hope that everyone else on these boards will also give to the best of their ability.

But what this means for us, personally, is that in less than 3 months we will be visiting 2 ports we know nothing about: Falmouth, Jamaica & Georgetown, Grand Cayman. (We're also visiting GSC, which is new to us, but seems pretty straight forward, and Cozumel, which we have visited twice already.)

For Falmouth, we'd really like a public beach that is within walking distance from the port or that is accessible by public transportation. We're just not into excursions, even though we know lots of people love them. Also, this is our honeymoon, so our daughter won't be with us and we don't feel the usual pressure to go somewhere that she will find exciting or educational.

Basically, we just want a beach that is clean and safe by Latin American/Caribbean standards. It doesn't bother us if people are selling massages or weed or sea shells or hair braiding on the beach. I'm really good at saying no. Just looking for some natural shade, bathrooms and reasonably priced local food.

Thanks!!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

We are going to be in Falmouth in 2 weeks on Allure. We are going to try Burwood Beach, easy cab ride. I will post on here when we get back how everything is, but decided to give it a try.

Thank you. We have been to Falmouth 3 prior times, but didn't really check on taking taxi to a local beach. So very interested in how it goes for you. Would love to know where you end up going. All the costs and if possible if any good snorkeling available at your beach location.

Have a great cruise!

• 4 weeks later...

We were in Falmouth last week and did not have positive experiences in Jamaica in the past. We hired Steve's Taxi and he gave us a wonderful tour of the local area and Montego Bay. We then went to a beach near the port. Steve waited for us since we had a 2 year old and we were not sure how long he would last. I highly recommend connecting with him prior to arrival. Not sure if I can post the email, but he can be contacted at noelsmith66@yahoo.com

We were in Falmouth last week and did not have positive experiences in Jamaica in the past. We hired Steve's Taxi and he gave us a wonderful tour of the local area and Montego Bay. We then went to a beach near the port. Steve waited for us since we had a 2 year old and we were not sure how long he would last. I highly recommend connecting with him prior to arrival. Not sure if I can post the email, but he can be contacted at noelsmith66@yahoo.com

Great to know! Thanks for the info. :)

Thanks so much for posting this good & helpful information. (y)