FLL hotel recommendations wanted

karen_g

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a nice clean Fort Lauderdale hotel that they have used pre-cruise and really loved?

The 2 most important criteria for me are Location and Dining Convenience:

I would like it to be close-ish to both the airport and cruise port (15 minutes drive or less from either).

I would like there to be a sit-down (ie, not fast-food) restaurant either within the hotel or within a few minutes walk of the hotel where we could enjoy a relaxing pre-cruise dinner (doesn't have to be fancy). Breakfast availability would be a bonus.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions you have!

Hello,

Can anyone recommend a nice clean Fort Lauderdale hotel that they have used pre-cruise and really loved?

I would like it to be close-ish to both the airport and cruise port (15 minutes drive or less from either).

I would like there to be a sit-down (ie, not fast-food) restaurant either within the hotel or within a few minutes walk of the hotel where we could enjoy a relaxing pre-cruise dinner (doesn't have to be fancy). Breakfast availability would be a bonus.

What dates and what is your budget?

Sorry, yeah, should have mentioned: Mid-September for only 1 night. Prefer to keep it under $250. I have noticed that hotel prices are significantly less in September than they are in the summer months (or even Spring Break).

Hyatt Place 17th Street or Embassy Suites, Renaissance. We've stayed at all of them and we also like the Riverside for its proximity to many, many good restaurants but it is not convenient to grocery stores to get our last minute items for the cruise. But the Riverside property is so quaint and is About two mikes north of the other properties I mentioned. Hyatt Place has a shuttlecthat will pick you up at FLL Simply call their number and they will be there within a few minutes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for the recommendations, 4cats4me! The Riverside looks very nice and I may just make a reservation there. Do you happen to know how much-ish a taxi might cost from the airport? And a taxi from the hotel to Port Everglades? Just trying to get an idea of total costs. Thank you! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Thanks so much for the recommendations, 4cats4me! The Riverside looks very nice and I may just make a reservation there. Do you happen to know how much-ish a taxi might cost from the airport? And a taxi from the hotel to Port Everglades? Just trying to get an idea of total costs. Thank you! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Taxi from FLL to hotel should be approx 15$ -$20

Cab from hotel to pt Everglades will run approx $15-$20 depending on traffic

Hotel also will arrange for a shuttle, shared or private, a bit pricier, but if you go to their web site you click concierge services tab and they list shuttle prices

A van for three to the port is $25, and if four people go then the cost would be $8 per person.

Hyatt Place has a shuttle service for $7 pp to the port and will pick up at airport for almost free. A $2 charge will go on your bill

We have stayed at quite a few different hotels over the years in Ft. Lauderdale. Once we stayed at the Doubletree Galleria we have never stayed anywhere else! We love the hotel and the location. There is a mall right next door with lots of stores if you forget anything. There are lots of places to eat there including PF Changs, Blue Martini and Seasons 52 - all with outside seating. There is a Publix right across the street. Read the reviews on Trip Advisor. For the time of year you should be able to get a room for around $150. Last minute travel usually has it on there for a good price. Wanda

http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hotels/florida/galleryone-a-doubletree-suites-by-hilton-hotel-FLLTSDT/index.html

Hello,

What you will find here on Cruise Critic is that very few people know anything about Ft Lauderdale other than the 17th Street area hotels in which they stay over and over again, then recommend them over and over to everyone which drives the prices up on those hotels. Now...If you would like to discover what else the Ft Lauderdale area has to offer offer there are a couple of us here that can help.

So...What is most important to you, price, location near the water, unique restaurants, shuttle, what? Are you flying in? If so, what time does your flight arrive?

One suggestion is the cluster of 4 hotels near the intersection of Griffin Road and I-95 just a couple miles south of the airport and close to two icon restaurant that have been around since the 1950s. They are Homewood Suites, Fairfield Inn, Residence Inn and Courtyard. The restaurants are...

Rustic Inn Crabhouse...

http://arkrestaurants.com/rustic-inn-fort-lauderdale/

Tropical Acres Steakhouse

http://www.tropicalacres.com/

What you will find here on Cruise Critic is that very few people know anything about Ft Lauderdale other than the 17th Street area hotels in which they stay over and over again, then recommend them over and over to everyone which drives the prices up on those hotels. Now...If you would like to discover what else the Ft Lauderdale area has to offer offer there are a couple of us here that can help.

So...What is most important to you, price, location near the water, unique restaurants, shuttle, what? Are you flying in? If so, what time does your flight arrive?

One suggestion is the cluster of 4 hotels near the intersection of Griffin Road and I-95 just a couple miles south of the airport and close to two icon restaurant that have been around since the 1950s. They are Homewood Suites, Fairfield Inn, Residence Inn and Courtyard. The restaurants are...

Rustic Inn Crabhouse...

http://arkrestaurants.com/rustic-inn-fort-lauderdale/

Tropical Acres Steakhouse

http://www.tropicalacres.com/

Maybe we cruisers recommend the 17th street area hotels over and over because they fit the criteria for what the majority of cruisers want.[emoji23]

Also, last time I checked, the Riverside Hotel was located on Las Olas, not anywhere near 17th Street.

Most cruises don't want to stay that far away from the cruise port unless they absolutely have to

And also, the prices of the 17th street hotels are very cheap in Sept, which is when the OP is requesting [emoji6][emoji6][emoji6][emoji6]

Maybe we cruisers recommend the 17th street area hotels over and over because they fit the criteria for what the majority of cruisers want.[emoji23]

What criteria would that be?

Also, last time I checked, the Riverside Hotel was located on Las Olas, not anywhere near 17th Street.

Did I say it was?

Most cruises don't want to stay that far away from the cruise port unless they absolutely have to

And also, the prices of the 17th street hotels are very cheap in Sept, which is when the OP is requesting [emoji6][emoji6][emoji6][emoji6]

Far away? What's the difference between being 1-2 miles from your ship or 2-3 miles?

And the hotels not on 17th Street are even cheaper than that.

Perhaps you should try something different? Expand your horizon.

We are staying at the Fairfield Inn. I picked this one because after calling all of the Marriotts in the area, this one had free airport shuttle, and only $10/person from the hotel to the port. Then, they do a free shuttle to a restaurant called Rustic Inn where I looked up the menu and it looks amazing!

We are staying at the Fairfield Inn. I picked this one because after calling all of the Marriotts in the area, this one had free airport shuttle, and only $10/person from the hotel to the port. Then, they do a free shuttle to a restaurant called Rustic Inn where I looked up the menu and it looks amazing!

The Rustic Inn is very eclectic, unique, has been a Ft Lauderdale icon restaurant for over 60 years and it's a short walk from the Fairfield Inn. With three people your better options to Port Everglades would be a taxi or Uber, which would be less and you can go on your time, not when they tell you the shuttle is leaving.

You might want to check the rates next door with Homewood Suites if you're going to be there Monday-Thursday. They have a good breakfast and an evening reception/meal with wine and beer (Monday-Thursday), the suites could give you more room with the two kids and save a few dollars on dinner.

• 1 month later...
Perhaps you should try something different? Expand your horizon.

Great advice. [emoji57]I will be staying in the tower section of the Riverside hotel instead of the older section next time I cruise [emoji851][emoji857]

I stay in the 17th street area as well, I am just there to sleep and board my cruise ship the next day so this area works for me. I also enjoyed staying at the Hyatt Place Convention when we sailed this past March. I got a great rate thru valuetrips, they offer a shuttle from the airport to the hotel for $2/room, shuttle from the hotel to the pier for $7/person and a free breakfast and within walking distance to many restaurants and stores for last minute items. For my group, this hotel was perfect.

Flying in 2 days before our cruise late November and just booked the Hyatt Place as well. Booked directly with Hyatt and using our AAA shaved a bit off off the price down to $153, with a 24-hour cancellation deadline. Selected this due to the airport/port shuttle options, breakfast and I like the separate sitting area which is nice for hanging out. Final deciding feature was proximity to the shopping center across the street with Total Wines, Publix, and a dusting of restaurants. I'm ready to start packing now!