Rome to cruise terminal

freeon

What would be the difference (time wise) between travelling from airport hotel to cruise terminal vs Rome city centre to cruise terminal. I assume from city centre traffic would worst. This would be travelling by private transfer.

A little reading on the board would give you lots of ways to look at this. From airport to port is about 1 hour, plus or minus. From city center to port is about 1 hour 15 minutes. From airport to city center is 30 or so minutes. These are "standard" conditions, traffic can always make it worse, although the airport to port run is all freeway.

If this is deciding where to stay, missing the center of Rome would be very hard...

Edited by CruiserBruce

A little reading on the board would give you lots of ways to look at this. From airport to port is about 1 hour, plus or minus. From city center to port is about 1 hour 15 minutes. From airport to city center is 30 or so minutes. These are "standard" conditions, traffic can always make it worse, although the airport to port run is all freeway.

If this is deciding where to stay, missing the center of Rome would be very hard...

I'm not concerned about seeing the city center because I have been to Rome twice before and we are spending time there after the cruise.

From FCO to the Port will take approximately 45-50 min (traffic could have a small impact). From Rome, much would depend from where you start and the time of day. Most of the time you should figure on about 1:20. But this time can increase dramatically if you run into a lot of traffic in Rome, or hit commuter traffic in the afternoon. I have personally driven between the port and Termini (the main train station in Rome) in 1:10...but this was in light traffic and driving to Termini is somewhat faster then many of the hotels.

I should add that when folks here ask how long it takes to get from the ship to FCO (after a cruise) most of us will say 1 hour....just to be safe and also because of the morning traffic on the Autostrade.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

If you're not interested in seeing Rome why not simply go directly to Civitavecchia and stay there?

That was our original plan.Hotels there don't seem to be that good. 1 we were interested in which seemed OK has a lot of the same bad reviews. Customer gets to hotel and they claim room is unavailable due to water issues. People seems to think that this is probably a lie and they just overbook. That being said there is still a lot of good reviews as well. Personally I would kind of prefer to stay in Civitavechia because I would like to get on the ship early. That's why I was wondering time from Rome. In the 1:00 range is not bad and can still make it there early.

Take a look at hotels in Santa Marinella. It's only 5-6 miles south of Civitavecchia but it's a lot nicer.

Did some research, that's where we are staying before our TA since we have done Rome. Our hotel can get us a @90 euro (a couple) transfer from FCO. We are going there to chill out with the locals and get over some jet lag. ;)