Connecting Flight @ BWI

I object 2

Looking to book flights from the midwest to FLL. One option has a 1 hour 20 minute layover @ BWI. The other two options are connecting flights through ATL with either a 3 hour or a 1 hour 15 minute layover. We've never connected through BWI or ATL before, so would appreciate all thoughts/experiences? Thank you!

I agree that BWI is a much nicer airport - however, although ATL is huge... it's also very efficient. What you have to decide is "total" travel time and what it's worth to you. Not knowing where you're leaving from, and the flight details, it's hard to give an opinion on what's 'best'. At the least IMO, give yourself an hour more layover time in ATL than BWI.

That long. A connection at BWI will give you plenty of time, even time for a meal. (Unfortunately there are no decent places to eat ther--Blech!). It's a pretty small and efficient airport.

That long. A connection at BWI will give you plenty of time, even time for a meal. (Unfortunately there are no decent places to eat ther--Blech!). It's a pretty small and efficient airport.

I'm going to respectfully disagree on both counts - first off - depending on the concourse - BWI has a number of restaurants even past security that are pretty good - there's a Silver Diner at B. Ramshead at C, and Greene Turtle at D just to name a few.

But whether or not you have time to eat depends on if both flights are leaving from the same gate area. I'm reasonably certain that you can't get from one concourse to another without having to go through security again (except for A/B).

http://www.bwiairport.com/en/shops/shop-dine

I do find it much easier to change planes at BWI because its a smaller airport...but I believe both airports have similar on-time stats.

I'm going to respectfully disagree on both counts - first off - depending on the concourse - BWI has a number of restaurants even past security that are pretty good - there's a Silver Diner at B. Ramshead at C, and Greene Turtle at D just to name a few.

But whether or not you have time to eat depends on if both flights are leaving from the same gate area. I'm reasonably certain that you can't get from one concourse to another without having to go through security again (except for A/B).

http://www.bwiairport.com/en/shops/shop-dine

I do find it much easier to change planes at BWI because its a smaller airport...but I believe both airports have similar on-time stats.

Unless you are connecting to an international flight, you will not need to clear security again. BTW--The Green Turtle is some of the worst airport food I've ever had in my life.

I agree that BWI is a much nicer airport - however, although ATL is huge... it's also very efficient. What you have to decide is "total" travel time and what it's worth to you. Not knowing where you're leaving from, and the flight details, it's hard to give an opinion on what's 'best'. At the least IMO, give yourself an hour more layover time in ATL than BWI.

I agree. Concourses all run parallel to each other, and an underground plane train connects them all. Train runs about every 60-90 seconds. Signage in the terminal is generally very good as well. Haven only flown through BWI a couple of times so can't really comment.

Thanks for all your comments; they've been a big help. We choose to book through BWI. We'll be traveling with our 8 and 10 year old grandkids. The smaller the airport, the easier it will be.... I hope! :D

• 2 weeks later...

I consider BWI my home airport as I am in it's flight path most of the time (13 miles away). It is a nice enough airport. Has lots of Southwest flights. Is very slow on baggage when you are ending flight there. If I had to transfer anywhere on the east coast my choice would be Jacksonville, Fl. JAX. Really easy and laid back airport. Walks to planes not bad by airport standards.

You know those grandkids will be dancing and prancing and having no problem with the walk -- the grandparents WELLL:D As for Atlanta -- it is better than 50 years ago (yep I have been traveling to FLL and MIA for that long!) but it is still a place to avoid if you can. The saying that you can't get to HE-- without going through ATL He __ ! came about for a reason and I heard that in college. It will be fine.

I go BWI to FLL just about every 2 months as my daughter lives 4 miles from FLL and I live 12 miles from BWI -- gotta love SWA!

Edited by Bowie MeMe