I wish I would have brought that with me

rlthng

Magnets! I take a package of small ones, found in the office supplies area of WalMart or other stores. Since the bulkheads (walls) are metal, you can use the magnets to attach the daily schedules and other papers so they don't get lost in the shuffle.

On my Panama Canal cruise I unpacked and discovered I'd forgotten the power cord to my laptop. Needless to say, the power in the battery didn't last too long. Fortunately I met a couple who just happened to have the same model laptop. They were gracious enough to let me borrow their power cord. I repaid their kindness with a bottle of wine from Francis Ford Coppola's winery, which I had brought with me on the cruise.

Perhaps I had my priorities straight. I remembered the wine but not the power cord.

Edited by Treven

Watches. One each for myself and dh. We keep our cell phones off when not in port, so no way to tell what time it is.

Or is there a way to have my cell phone on so we have the time, but not take or send call off of the ship's tower?

I second the magnets. Keeps the clutter off the limited desk space. But make sure they are strong magnets. I usually buy souvenier magnets. Last time I bought some in a gift shop before Tulum. They seemed fine in the store, but back in the cabin, they barely were strong enough to hold themselves up never mind any papers! Even though the walls are metal, they do have a covering over them, so they need to be decent magnets.

Some lines don't allow power strips, so I bring the little plug that splits into three. That's plenty. Usually the bathroom only allows shavers to be plugged in. I was wondering why my toothbrush wasn't charging after a few days.

Lots of $1s for tips.

Post it notes and pens/highlighters. Leave notes for the cabin steward or your roomie.

Magnets, especially the strong ones with hooks; highlighter pen (different color for each person); led flashlight (mini); clothes pins to hold drapes shut; bungee cord to keep balcony door from locking you out (yes, it happened glad I was dressed); sling type backpack; small magnetic memo board & dry erase pen for notes to each other; OTC remedies; floppy sun hat & long sleeved white man's shirt, sunscreen & after sun; ziplock baggies, 6 of each size; clear fingernail polish (works well on bug bites); duct tape & digital luggage scale (with fresh batteries). These are my essentials that I keep stored in the sling backpack in between cruises

Sunblock LOTION Last cruise we brought the spray, and had two problems 1) It ran out on day 2 of the cruise and 2) It didn't spread evenly and I had multiple small patches of sunburn. Ended up buying a thing of actual lotion at St. Kitts for way too much money.

Clothes pins definitely, too many times we tried to hang suits up on the hooks and they'd fall off and not dry properly.

A bigger suitcase. Our suitcase was completely full when we left home, so we had to buy a second suitcase on board to pack up the souvenirs and because our dirty clothes didn't seem to fold up as nicely as they did when they were clean.

FEWER clothes - I think about half of the clothes I brought were never worn. I was so convinced that my clothes would be wet and sticky that I brought like two sets of t-shirts and underclothes for everyday of the cruise, plus an extra 7 "dressier" (polos mostly) shirts for dinner so I wouldn't be dining in t-shirts.

I kind of wish we hadn't brought phones with, just because my mother-in-law called as we were getting ready to board to let us know she was coming to our house while we were on the cruise and would see us when we got home. That initially put a pretty big damper on our first day since we hate having her at the house when we aren't home. But leaving phones isn't really an option nowadays.

A eye shadow blender brush.I realised I didn't have it on formal night so creatively chopped and folded another brush but didnt work as well.

We spent 30 minutes finding a chemist/cosmetics store in Copenhagen to get one.

When we got home I found my old one lying on the bed.

Looking for tips of what to pack for an upcoming cruise that would be good to bring but I might not think to bring. For example highlighter or towel clips for chairs. I know all you seasoned cruisers must have items you bring that the newbies would never think to bring but would really come in handy. Thanks so much for the upcoming tips! :)

Cork-screw

If you wear prescription glasses, and you are planning to go on any type of active excursion, such as river tubing, kayaking, zip-lining, etc., I recommend that you bring some CHUMS eye wear retainers with you. If you Google "Chums", you'll see what they look like. You can find them in most sporting goods stores. Unless you happen to have an extra pair of glasses with you, it would suck to lose your glasses while on vacation. :eek:

Edited by beachbum53

Magnets, especially the strong ones with hooks; highlighter pen (different color for each person); led flashlight (mini); clothes pins to hold drapes shut; bungee cord to keep balcony door from locking you out (yes, it happened glad I was dressed); sling type backpack; small magnetic memo board & dry erase pen for notes to each other; OTC remedies; floppy sun hat & long sleeved white man's shirt, sunscreen & after sun; ziplock baggies, 6 of each size; clear fingernail polish (works well on bug bites); duct tape & digital luggage scale (with fresh batteries). These are my essentials that I keep stored in the sling backpack in between cruises

How did it happen? I can't imagine it. Was the latch loose and it fell down?

Excellent information! Thank you!

Hendrika

1980 Society Expeditions – Galapagos

1981 Island (old) Princess – Alaska

1988 Lindblad Expeditions – Sea of Cortez

1988 Society Expeditions – Canada/New England

1989 Society Expeditions – Alaska

1995 Cruise West, Sea Lion – Alaska

1996 Kangaroo Explorer - Great Barrier Reef

1997 Reef Endeavour - Great Barrier Reef

1998 Reef Endeavour- Great Barrier Reef

2010 Sun Princess – Australia/New Zealand

2011 Sapphire Princess – 7-day Mexico Riviera

2011 HAL Rotterdam – Baltic

2011 HAL Rotterdam – Norwegian Fjords

2011 Sapphire Princess – 7-day California Coastal

2012 Ruby Princess – Grand Mediterranean. Barcelona to Venice

2012 Ruby Princess – Grand Mediterranean. Venice to Barcelona

2012 Golden Princess – Alaska

2012 Golden Princess – Hawaii. RT Los Angeles

2013 Sapphire Princess – 7-day Mexico Riviera

2013 Sapphire Princess – 7-day California Coastal

2013 Grand Princess – Alaska. RT San Francisco

2013 Sun Princess – Australia/New Zealand

2014 Star Princess – Alaska RT San Francisco

next cruises

12/4/14 Grand Princess – Hawaii

4/16/15 Golden Princess – 10-day Mexico Riviera

5/22/15 Golden Princess – Alaska RT San Francisco

I agree with the zip lock bags. Also I wish I would bring some Liquid hand soap form bath and body works. I hate that generaic cheap soap or bar soap thats in the stateroom

Button magnets for walls (Walls are steel and you can post calendars etc); power strip with short cord for charging toys; plastic hangers with spring clamps (dollar store item)for hanging wet items anwhere in bathroom; flat night lights (Walmart); fixit kit with small flattened roll of duct tape, swiss army knife, small tubes of super glue, eye glass repair kit.

Watches. One each for myself and dh. We keep our cell phones off when not in port, so no way to tell what time it is.

Or is there a way to have my cell phone on so we have the time, but not take or send call off of the ship's tower?

turn 'roaming'off

Also, (a note for us Brits, don't know about other countries) on a cruise we took earlier in the year, when I arrived home, I found that I had a lovely big bill on my mobile phone - apparently, it had been merrily updating all on it's own. The mobile phone company said that I should have gone into the MOBILE NETWORKS, and turned off the 'Use Packet Data' when abroad ... but check with your mobile company to ensure that you are not caught out ... don't forget to turn it back on when you get home

Sticky notes pad, a pen, bandaids or small first aid kit and EXTRA pair of prescription glasses!! On one cruise I was on my balcony looking over and the lense FELL OUT into the ocean!! I wear bi-focals so reading the menu at dinner was a nightmare and also amusing, (to other people) seeing me try to use one lens to read!! :p

Seriously, though, take any OTC medicines you might need. Nothing worse than needing, say, cold medicine in the middle of the night or when the gift shop is closed.

+1

I've come down with a cold on 3 of my cruises, so far. On one, we were fortunate the dock was, literally, across the street from Walmart (Puerto Vallarta? Mazatlan? Cabo?...it was Mexico, anyway).

It doesn't take much space for some antacids, anti-diarrheal, cold meds...

Also agree with the extra Rx glasses. I have my Rx sunglasses in a pinch, but I also throw in my previous pair (a bit of an outdated prescription, but better than nothing).

Edited by srlafleur

turn 'roaming'off

Also, (a note for us Brits, don't know about other countries) on a cruise we took earlier in the year, when I arrived home, I found that I had a lovely big bill on my mobile phone - apparently, it had been merrily updating all on it's own. The mobile phone company said that I should have gone into the MOBILE NETWORKS, and turned off the 'Use Packet Data' when abroad ... but check with your mobile company to ensure that you are not caught out ... don't forget to turn it back on when you get home

Better yet, turn off the phone completely and stow it in the safe. This is the time to use a watch and/or small travel clock. :D

Edited by srlafleur

I always try to pack less than I took last time but it does not always work.:o However, I still take a larger suitcase and fill the extra room with bubble wrap. It keeps stuff from sloshing around and does not add any weight. Then, when it is time to come home, I have room for any purchases and padding to wrap them up in. Worst comes to worst, I have a blast popping bubbles on the last night from the wrap that will not fit to come home.;):p